Duplicate freight cars? No problem...

Nick_Burman

Hello all,

I have a pair of Kato ToKi15000 cars which, of course, have the same number. :(  So today I decided to start work on dealing width this problem. A toothpick, some Solvaset and 5 minutes later, no last digit...

Now I need a set of transfers to add a new last digit. Geomatrix makes a set for tank cars which might fill the trick. Now, if anyone could tell me what is the name of the typeface used by JNR, I could try and look for commercial sets - maybe even have a sheet made to order...

Cheers NB

post-283-0-19414300-1392751276_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my Koki 107 cars.

107-47 - with no containers

107-102 - with 30D container

107-297 - from EF210 3 car set 

107-383

107-149 - from the 50th LE set, wont be touching these

107-150

107-151

107-152

107-153

107-728 - from the DD51 Kesei sayonara LE set, wont be touching these either

107-729

107-730

107-731

107-732

107-733

107-734

just need to find out if the single digit cars are painted as singile digits and not 01-09 etc.  the double digit ones are painted as normal though.  so the -102 car, remove the 2 and it becomes a -10.  easy.

curious about the single digit format so the 47 can maybe become a 4?  the 102 becomes a 10 and maybe 1?  and the 297/383 can becomes a 29/38 and maybe a 2/3?

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
Guest keio6000

oh keio6000, just breathe deeply and repeat to yourself "this is just a hobby.   your interests are as weird to others as theirs are to you.  if other people want to spend their time altering millimetric serial numbers and that makes them happy, then what do you care ..."

:)

That is the beauty of this hobby. You can go at it any way you want.  For some their drive is having and collecting trains, others go after the prototype or some specific line or operation, others just want to pass their free time (and empty their wallets in the process :) )

There is room for all. 

Me, i wouldn't even care on the freight car numbers. But that is only me. 

Hi Nick, I think it's great that you are re-numbering your wagons. But maybe you should have found some transfers first before scratching numbers off.

When you find some please post back here, I want to change some numbers on my wagons esp on my Toki25000's

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10250394

:icon_thumleft:

Nick_Burman

Hi Nick, I think it's great that you are re-numbering your wagons. But maybe you should have found some transfers first before scratching numbers off.

When you find some please post back here, I want to change some numbers on my wagons esp on my Toki25000's

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10250394

:icon_thumleft:

Geomatrix Designers or Green Max. Failing that I'll have a local decal maker copy the design and turn it into a decal sheet.

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

The point of the whole affair is that, if I ever come to having a layout, I would like my freight ops to be run American-style, with waybills, etc... And for that individual freight car numbers are absolutely essential. I find it a bit absurd that Japanese manufacturers go to extreme ends to provide different running numbers for locomotives, but only offer freight cars with only one number (the exceptions being Kawaii and Micro-Ace, who offer freight car packs with multiple numbers) - time for the Japanese version of the M-T "Runner Packs".

Cheers NB

The reason behind this is that many japanese manufacturers sell freight cars in whole train packs, with different running numbers. Also most sets that have the same type of freight cars have different running numbers, so you just have to 'collect them all'.  :) The fact that today the only type of freight train on japanese rails are unit trains with fixed consists doesn't help much either. This means the cars are not shunted around, just loaded and unloaded at each point along the route or sometimes split and joined at fixed positions, just like any modern emu or dmu train. For older type of trains, we have freight car sets with different numbers on each car (from both kato and tomix) and some maufacturers do sell cars with rub on number sheets. (this is true even for some emus, in case you buy two sets of the same type)

Further to my project, I finally found a set of number transfers at AmiAmi; I duly bought a pair of sheets and today I took the opportunity of finally changing the number on one of the cars. The result is as follows... the only thing missing are the Z scale couplers and possibly a coat of weather (for both cars) as part of my "Finer Scale" program.

Cheers NB

post-283-0-84788800-1408238343_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I never got around to messing with the number on mine.  I ended up with 16 Koki 107s and 6 Koki 50000s all with different running numbers.  So I stopped there.