Closing the gap...

Matteo_IT

Hello,

I've just replaced the couplers to a lot of my models to reduce the gap between coaches.

Here are the pics before and after...

Bogies are Graham Farish Mk3 for HST125, with original couplers the gap is 24 mm, with the hook couplers the gap is a little bit less than 21 mm... so a little bit more than 3 mm closer!

post-929-0-06562100-1392502908_thumb.jpg

with original couplers the gap is 24 mm

post-929-0-97494700-1392502968_thumb.jpg

with hook couplers the gap is a little bit less than 21 mm

post-929-0-06485100-1392503034_thumb.jpg

white metal hook coupler

I've also used this new type of coupler to replace in the Kato japanese freight wagons and in some USA wagons (Con-Cor Refrigerated 40' PFE)

I used a N plastic couplers and I made the mold as I can produce more white metal couplers...

The price of plastic couplers is about 20 Euro for a pack of 12 pairs (24 couplers), but now this item is no longer available so it's very hard to find... but at this price I need to add shipping and eventually custom fees... then the price of any single coupler is no less than 1 Euro... So I decided to produce a copy to have more at a reasonable price: the result is the price at the moment is less than the half of the original price! Of course more I produce and less is the price!

I have also used a special fluid to blackened the couplers.

If somebody is interested don't esitate to contact me!

Edited by Matteo_IT
  • Like 1

Are you saying that you made a mould from a Bachmann coupler, and are now planning to sell copies? If so, be very careful you don't end up with major legal problems if Bachmann ever find out. All it needs is for this post to turn up in a search result, and you (and the forum) just might have a problem. Making them for yourself is one thing, but selling them is treading thin ice.

That's just friendly advice from someone who spent over 25 years working in an industry that was constantly fighting copyright battles.

It looks nice, but i wonder how stable is this in pusher mode. This type of coupler looks like it might disconnect if reversed on a curve. For replacing the N scale couplers, a shorter version of the same type might be a more simple and a cheaper solution.

ps: It's not a problem as long as it's given away for free, just don't ask any money for it.

Couplers are for N scale.

Bachmann? where is written?

Where is written I sell couplers?

Have somebody read about a retail price list?

I wrote the price is lower than the original because the number of pieces I produced so far, for the moment have a cost less than the original, so I'm replacing in a lot of wagons... and for this I wrote If there are a person interested in this - in general - to ask me...

For pushing mode: I used for HST125 because the train is without buffers, but I can guarantee I use these couplers in my 12 coaches HST train negotiating 200 mm radius and the train works good in both directions...

Edited by Matteo_IT

I have used both Bachmann and Red Caboose (USA) dummy knuckle couplers to replace Rapido-types to close up the gap between cars:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/tomytec/ohmi.htm

This includes Graham Farish Intercity trains. There is no problem pushing the train from behind. The Red Caboose can still be found for sale in the USA and on Ebay, and they come in short, medium and long shaft lengths. This is a quick improvement to the look of many trains.

Rich K.

I used also the Red Caboose short coupler, but the type I have in white metal is a little bit shorter, then, I have to pay more money for shipping and for customer fees... so, for me, the best and cheaper solution, is the white metal coupler.