Which camera?

Hello all,

In preparation for my forthcoming trip to Japan I'm searching for DSLR camera models as I wish to purchase one*. I want a starter model as I'm totally unfamiliar with SLR cameras (and proper photography techniques). So far my choice has fallen on the Canon T3i (EOS 600D in Europe) kit, with the possibility of the T5i (EOS 700D). However looking at ads, I noticed that the Nikon D3200 is going at a better price. I would like to know if the cameras I mentioned are comparable in features and capacities, also which of them would be the best buy?

* contrary to what I've said elsewhere I've decided to source the camera here in Brazil - prices are much more reasonable than those in the UK, although I believe this happens because the cameras are smuggled... :-) :-S :-(

Cheers NB

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

When I bought my first dslr I went to have a look at a bunch at a local store, mainly to see how they fit in my hand. I found the canons too be too small, and I could comfortable shoot with them at all. Nikon was much better, but I knew if I went for a Nikon, a friend would ask to borrow my lenses and I'd end up never getting them back ;)

In the end I went for a Sony Alpha 100, which worked fine for me, and later also bought the Alpha 700 body, which was actually a little bigger and heavier than the 100, but I was a lot more comfortable with it.

But really, just go to a store where they allow you to play with several camera's and give them a try.

lurkingknight

how long do you have until your trip? if you're unfamiliar with SLRs the usage of one is going to be really tricky until you learn what everything does.

For this reason, I just bought a bridge camera... that warm and fuzzy in between from pocket point and shoot and slr. IT has a lot of feature that are very slr-like, but they're much easier to manage. The only drawback to the nikon I got was that it doesn't save in RAW format.

Another reason I didn't go SLR for my trip was because I didn't want to haul the body and a couple lenses around. the p510 I have fits in a bag and dealt with my shooting conditions quite well. I was able to spend a couple weeks with a few sessions spread out playing with settings and conditions to get used to shooting to get better shots.

That being said.. if you are going SLR, there are only 2 options considered to be the best... and the first question you need to ask yourself... are you a nikon guy... or a canon guy? :P those 2 generally have the most selection of lenses at good prices.

Edited by lurkingknight

I've been using analog dslrs for years and at some point decided to switch to digital. I was about to switch from Canon eos 5 to 5d mark 3. Unfortunately, release price was above my expectations so i decided to buy support camera Canon g1x. It is of such very high picture quality and it is so handy that over time I decided to give up dslrs. And i highly recommend this camera to everyone. G1x has some limitations eg. macro photography so not very suitable for model trains especially if you want to catch details but.... Today it was announced g1x mark 2 which overcomes all limitations I encountered. Release date is April and the price 800$. I will definitely switch to it. And request to put it into your consideration.

All I can say is that my Nikon has been with me for four years and keeps shooting including two trips to Japan.  The big thing you are going to pay for is lenses.  I carry a bag full and I use all of them for different things.  The best thing I can say is get the camera sooner rather than later and get out and shoot.  Especially trains if you are going to Japan as the practice in all kinds of light really helps.

the_weird_one

I'm going to sound snobbish here, for me with my SLR line up I'd take my 1DX and my 6D for when I wanted to be less obvious at night.

The T5i has better noise handling properties than the T4i but thats about it really other than the pointless increase in megapixel sensor.

The other option is as Sinus said go for the Canon PowerShot range - personally I'd go for the G16 over the G1 X as the G16 still has a real viewfinder rather than purely done on the screen on the back of the camera - which is a boon during sunlight.

Another camera I have been impressed with is the Fujifilm FinePix S8200 tis a nice balance in the bridge format, though the "viewfinder" is just a the sensor projected to an eye piece rather than a genuine viewfinder but it produces good results.

@up g1 x has optical viewfinder too but very rarely used by me. G1x mark 2 will have electronic viewfinder attachable to hot shoe. Besides much better and bigger matrix than "regular" g-line.

I will suggest to you to go for Canon eos60d or Panasonic gh4

I personally have a Canon eos7d, but I have fallen in love for the Gh4

Just my 2cents

Edited by Melandir

Hello Mr Nick_Burman,

Please allow me to assist you with your inquiry regarding cameras.  I have been using SLR cameras since the mid 1980's.  I did not change to digital until about 10 years ago.

For the budget you are considering, the brand selection is not really a question.  Canon, Nikon and others are all of a similar quality.  Other members of my family have chosen Nikon, simply because I have been using Nikon all my life and have everything covered from 18mm to 400mm.  My sister-in-law is very happy with her D3200, and by association, has access to all of my lenses.  Because I'm familiar with the Nikon range, I am able to assist her with navigating the various menus and camera settings.  So, my first suggestion is to consider what friends and family are using and how there equipment and experience might help you.

Next, please consider what you might use the camera for.  A DSLR is not suitable for, say, a day at Universal Studios, Tokyo Disneyland, or the beach.  I have a small Nikon pocket camera for such events.  A DSLR will take up luggage space when travelling, as I learned when I took my 200-400mm telephoto lens to Africa.  However, if you're railfanning, bird watching, or sightseeing, a DSLR will provide a superior image quality and is a must.  The key is to carry only the lenses you're going to need.  My 200-400mm telephoto lens would be useless at a model train exhibition, as would be my macro lens at a golf tournament.

Finally, I highly recommend this book:

Kodak Pocket Guide to 35mm Photography - http://www.amazon.com/KODAK-Pocket-Guide-35MM-Photography/dp/0879857692 - taught me how to take photos, depth of field, ISO, aperture, etc.  With this book you can learn how to use a camera in full manual mode.

There is also the Kodak Pocket Guide to Digital Photography - http://www.amazon.com/KODAK-Pocket-Guide-Digital-Photography/dp/0879858125 - which I can't comment on.  I'm not sure if it teaches the basics of photography, which I think you need to understand in order to appreciate what some of the program modes do on a DSLR.

• Like 3

Canon or Nikon? Kato or Tomix? That is the question.

:)

Products are comparable between them, at the end I have gone Canon for two reason

a ) feeling better in my hand

b ) most important for me: better customer service, down here Nikon make a lot of problems to service equipment brought overseas, and Canon is 25 min from my office so I can go there during lunch break to bring them the equipment directly instead of shipping

Edited by Melandir

I have a Nikon D5100, the predecessor of the D5300 westfalen has. Works perfectly and to be honest I probably would have been fine with a D3100/D3200 as well. The more expensive the less noise but apart from that not much difference in the entry and mid-level range. So if you're only starting with DSLR, I'd suggest to get an entry-level body (which are already really good) and a lens to start with. Also important with DSLR bodies is the button placement because certain camera's just didn't do it for me in that part, if you'd have it a few minutes in your hand you should be able to find that out.

Edited by Densha

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies, especially Ochanomizu's which was straight to the point. I'm going to buy a DSLR on the advice of a friend of mine; when I told him I wanted a new fixed-lens digital camera he made a face and suggested that if I was going to spend that amount of money I might just get myself a DSLR. The camera models I selected were those whose prices fit my budget, anything above is out of my depth - indeed, also out of my depth technologically as I need to learn how to photograph properly. As for brands, they do make a difference here in Brazil - according to another friend of mine, brands other than Nikon or Canon have little or no resale value here, something to take into consideration when the time comes to upgrade.

The camera will be used for railfanning and model photography, mainly.

My mother also wants a new camera - her film Minolta was stolen during a holiday trip in northern Brazil a few years ago. Now she too wants a DSLR. As far as getting to grips with the new camera I'm well served, she already knows the ropes and can teach me.

Yesterday I was looking at an UK camera shop and they had a few very good deals on the Nikon D3200. So the question if I'm going to get it here or there is still open.

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman

mirror less cameras have too slow focus

vatato, that's not true anymore. Fuji X-E1 and W-T1 are extremely fast. And as much as I am not a fan of the Nikon 1 system, Nikon's AF is extremely fast. Pentax K01, now out of production is as fast as any Canon Rebel/Kiss I have ever tried. My Fuji X100s focuses every bit as fast and accurate as my Nikon D2Xs ever did.

Nick, as a professional photographer, I can write a dissetation on what to buy, but over the years, I've long sinced learned everyone's needs are differant and at the end of the day, no matter what I or anyone else suggests, a potential buyer's choice is better hands on than blank words from a message board, or chatting on the phone.

As for entry level dSLR's such as the current crop of Canon Rebels and the Nikon D3xxx series, they're fine machines, and pretty much just over-glorified point and shoots which is fine if you jsut want to take snapshots without really learning photography.

Personally, I wouldn't invest today in any dSLR system with how the segments are doing. Mirrorless is the future as so far as non-smartphone cameras go. Canon and Nikon are losing so much money on dSLR sales as both companies are seeing major declines in the dSLR segment to a point some wonder if either company will be around in the next decade. Point and shoots are pretty much a dead and smartphone continue to destroy that market.

Olympus OM-D and the Fuji X-T1 represent the future of what is currently dSLR. Sony suffers from a major identity crisis at the moment.

BTW: I'd put a Fuji X-T1 up against my old Nikon D3s any day in AF speed, and low light noise. Haven't played with a D4 since I dropped Nikon after 20 years for Fuji two years ago. 

Hi,

I have a Pentax K-x for some years and I am happy with it.

The newer models have shake reduction in the body (not in the lens), so every Lense is SR. The K-30/50 and more professionals bodies of K-5II and K-3 are all weather resistant. The Kit lenses (18-55, 50-200 and 18-135) are the best of it kind. Not the excellent but good.

K-30 and K-50 are almost the same. When you are able to get the K-30, take it!

Please have a look

http://www.pentaxforums.com

My favorites are the Limited Lenses HD DA 21/40/70, the DFA100WR Macro and the HD DA 55-500WR.

When you have the choise between Canon, Nikon and Pentax and you want to start in the Entry-Level, have a look at Nikon and Pentax. 

Edited by SONIC883_de
bikkuri bahn

Question for Shashinka:

I had the opportunity to handle the Fujifilm X-T1 this weekend, and was impressed with the build quality and handling for its size (normally I find compact dSLRs and mirrorless models typically hard to handle and fidgety, as if built mostly for women's or children's hands).  I like the dial controls on top, as well as the very large EVF and traditional SLR-like form factor.  I'm considering a "second" camera to my heavier pentaprism viewfinder dSLR for travel/casual/"light railfanning" photography, and was wondering what you think about this model- you mentioned it in your post above. 

I specifically have two questions, which have relation to the mirrorless construction and electronic viewfinder.

My railfan photography is not particularly challenging from a technical viewpoint, but I do alot of the tried (or tired) and true 3/4 wedge shot of trains approaching stations or grade crossings- obviously it's not to win photo contests, but to document the dwindling ranks of JNR era trains and rheostat EMUs, mainly.  

1. How does the X-T1 handle the autofocus on moving trains? Does it hold focus on the train consistently?

2. In burst mode, how much a lag is in the EVF, and does it affect composition/shutter control enough that you consciously have to compensate for it?

As a trains movement is predictable and not erratic, I know the performance doesn't have to be at pro full-size dSLR levels, but as you know much of the background in the Japanese locations on these shots are fraught with potential bugbears, like catenary poles, so timing can be important.  I will consider 2 or 3 shots out of, say a burst of 6 being a satisfactory success rate.  Appreciate your insight as a railfan and professional.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

That is an interesting camera. Although small in size, the quick selection wheels for adjusting settings is pretty cool. but do you need all those settings to be quick fire selection wheels? IT is a very expensive camera compared to Canon or Nikon base level DSLRs.

I cannot comment on the XT1 personally. But you gotta decide whether it's benefits are worth the extra money spent. Fuji in general make a awesome product. I was in the camera/photograpgy indrusty between 2004 and 2011. And my personal stuff was Canon. And my work/company supplied stuff was Fuji and Nikon.

Not sure if you are aware, but Fuji and Nokin are the same company/parent company. So their products share alot of similar parts.

Edited by katoftw
bikkuri bahn

katoftw, thank you for your thoughts.  The camera is indeed pricey, which is to be expected given its target user, construction, specs, and domestic Japanese build.  I do have the discretionary funds to purchase it (thanks to a good summer bonus), and I have come to the age where if I buy something that is part of my hobby and decreasing leisure time, I am willing to pay for quality.  I have had an eye on Fuji higher-end cameras for several years, and this one just speaks to me.  I really like my Nikon SLR and will keep buying their products, but many times I wish I didn't have to lug around that anvil, especially when traveling or railfanning on hot summer days.

I really like my Nikon SLR and will keep buying their products, but many times I wish I didn't have to lug around that anvil, especially when traveling or railfanning on hot summer days.

Ditto here. I don't have any other camera except my DSLR but because I simply can't take it with me wherever I go I often miss the opportunity for a nice pic. Probably going to get myself my first smartphone soon though, so am looking for one that can take acceptable pics. Of course I could also get a compact camera but then I have to take both the camera and the smartphone with me which is not really convenient in all times... still can't decide.

I played with an X-T1 in Hiroshima. It clearly has the biggest, brightest and best EVF of any camera out there and it was vastly better than the EVF on my X100 and X-Pro1.

Sicne all my Fuji X-cameras are HVF/EVF cameras, and I live by optical viewfinder, I'm going to be turned off to any EVF's until the day I can't tell them apart happens. However, I really do like the X-T1's EVF compared to anything else out there on thre market. It is huges and really usable.

1. The AF on the XT-1 is the best I have used in a mirrorless camera. Though I think the Nikon-1 is faster While, I have not tried the X-T1 on trains, I expect it will handle nearly as well as any consumer grade Nikon I have ever owned. I don't think the AF quite as good as the Nikon D3/D3s and now D4-series cameras that I used daily till I went rangefinder-style, not many are. But, I have found, that I do not need AF anywhere near on par with profesional Nikon bodies or glass fortrains. Hell, my little X20 can lock focus and track anything I have shot in Hiroshima, Matsuyama or Sapporo, including shinkansens at station speed.

2. There is no shutter lag on the X-T1. There was a slight EVF lag when super fast panning between shots, but again, it's refresh was better than anything I had used up to that point. This is just the reality of most EVFs. While, playing with burst and panning, there was some lag, but nowhere near like it is when using my X-Pro1's EVF, and after one or two shots, I found the lag wasn't al lthat bad. For the overwelming majority of trains, with exception of full on shinkansens, I do not think it will be much of an issue.

I'll be honest, I spent a half hour staring at the X-T1, picking it up and down, and was so damn ready to buy one there. The two reasons I did not buy an X-T1 while in Japan was first, I want to mate it to the 18-135 WR lenss which wasn't released yet. And, the second reason is that I'm holding out for the X-Pro2 so I can replace my X100 which is at the end of its service life. I do still intend to grab an X-T1 w/ the 18-135, specificially for railway photography.

The camera is certainly well worth the money considering the build quality, water resistance, and performance features, it's hard to try and match it with a Canikon. But the one thing I will warn anyone looking to go Fuji should know, the x-sereis RAF files are harder to work with than .NEF files out of a Nikon. But JPG SOOC look great, and I find SOOC JPGs seem to more than good enough for most shots. Also, unlike Canikon cameras, Fuji is always improving the firmware with improvements and tweeks. I have had no regrets with any of my Fuji cameras.

• Like 1