JRM to show at Grand Central Station NYC with JR East for Japan Week in March

cteno4

this thread is worthless without pics :D

hey bloke you were sposta fly down for this and be the official photographer!

got a good card full this am, ill see if i can get them off tonight, but to tide you all over here are some dmitry did the first day with some of the setup

http://roomd.livejournal.com/323016.html

another fantastic day. never had people be so warm and complimentary about the layout at a show. really was heart warming. staff took great care of us and everything went off without any hitches! really was marvelous and worth the 4 weeks of stress throwing this layout together coming up and working around the clock to do the show!

more later, just packed up and loaded out and time for ding ding

jeff

Oh man ¬¬ Sounds like fun! We'll never have a train show here....

This actually was not a train show, but a expo on japan sort of. lots of trade show exhibits on japanese tech compaines, tourism, jr east was there. we were brought in for some fun and sort of a model of japan. thats what made it quite special as we were the only train layout and the only really fun thing that all the public could just smile and watch. it was a big surprise for the public and the other biz kiosks loved it as we kept the crowd there and put them in a happy mood, so easier for them to snag some to their stuff! win win all around.

jeff

lurkingknight

yeah work is being a bitch... can't get away for anything at the moment. 

The layout looks pretty awesome for 4 weeks of work.

Things went exceptionally well with the show. ill do a better writeup monday. It was great as saturday as we had one more JNS member show up, Jcarlton! he came in from Connecticut for a visit on Saturday! Also Vatato came back with his wife who makes his trees for him! Again was wonderful to see other JNS members in person and "de-vertualize" them.

ill start pulling pictures off the camera in the am and get some up.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

So i got back, promptly got sick with the flu, recovered and got a secondary bacterial sinus infection. so the last few weeks have been getting better and catching up on everything else. Hope to have a good write up and decent photo gallery up this week on the event. 

but in the mean time I forgot we were also on couch tv

martin was miffed as he got interviews by some older lady for i think nhk and i got the babe from couchtv!

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 4

yeah i fit right into the station crowd. Not much sleep for few days and talking to hundreds of people! Also hard to get her to move with me with the mic... we should have done two takes, one interview and the other layout overview.

jeff

Edited by cteno4

Ha just got a call from the show organizers that the New York Times will be interviewing us for a big spread in the sunday section! A reporter saw the layout and talked to one of us apparently (not saying they were a reporter at the time). They are coming down for the cherry blossom festival to do more photos of the layout and interview members. They want to do mini sidebar articles on individual members and their own take on the hobby on an odd subject like japanese trains as well as a big overall article on the club, japanese trains and modeling. they loved the fact we were such a big hit with the public and dont mind we are DC since we did show up in NYC. They also want to do video for the online version, so fun there. Sounds like they are planning something that will blow the washington posts one pager out of the water!

Jeff

PS April Fools!

Edited by cteno4
Martijn Meerts

Sounds good. You'd need a miniatur-wunderland sized layout to have a remote chance to get in the news with model trains over here ;)

Wonderful Jeff! Great work on the layout, interview and exhibition! I think you speak for many of us here. It's truly the huge variety of trains and how modern and classics go hand in hand in Japan. It's an E6 and an East-I running on the elevated track, but I can't make out what's on the lower track? Seems to be a Tsubame 787 but I could be wrong. Like the multi-coloured condominium at the back mixed in colours ¬  

It's so nice to have Japan week... Wish we had them here too.. But then that would just be me 1 man on the layout...  :P

ok well at least i hooked martijn or he was just being nice. April fools! they whole nyc event was an elaborate hoax that i got several jns members in on! no just kidding the NY Times bit was just a little late stab at an april fools joke! even if a train layout were to make the cut of an article i think they might have sniffed their noses in the air at us being from dc.

JR500 yes we tried to stick to mainly JR East trains as they were or sponsors. E1, E2, E4, E5, E6, east i, 400 etc. That is the 655 emperor train running there minus the flags. It is great we have these large Japanese cultural events here like the Cherry Blossom Festival and Japan Week up in nyc. This was only Japan Week's third year and its been growing rapidly so perhaps we can do more up there in the future. it really was fun and probably the best public response we have ever gotten, neck and neck with the first year we did the Sakura Matsuri when we got mobbed. Everyone was super friendly and very appreciative we did the work to bring a layout to an event like that. some were thrown we were from dc but when we explained that having a japanese train club is pretty rare and we were honored and delighted to be invited to nyc and grand central, they were happy that we did it!

cheers and small april fools!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

ok well at least i hooked martijn or he was just being nice. April fools! they whole nyc event was an elaborate hoax that i got several jns members in on! no just kidding the NY Times bit was just a little late stab at an april fools joke! even if a train layout were to make the cut of an article i think they might have sniffed their noses in the air at us being from dc.

JR500 yes we tried to stick to mainly JR East trains as they were or sponsors. E1, E2, E4, E5, E6, east i, 400 etc. That is the 655 emperor train running there minus the flags. It is great we have these large Japanese cultural events here like the Cherry Blossom Festival and Japan Week up in nyc. This was only Japan Week's third year and its been growing rapidly so perhaps we can do more up there in the future. it really was fun and probably the best public response we have ever gotten, neck and neck with the first year we did the Sakura Matsuri when we got mobbed. Everyone was super friendly and very appreciative we did the work to bring a layout to an event like that. some were thrown we were from dc but when we explained that having a japanese train club is pretty rare and we were honored and delighted to be invited to nyc and grand central, they were happy that we did it!

cheers and small april fools!

jeff

I'm too busy to check what the date is.. Didn't even know it was April 1st ;)