Storage boxes (+ a request)

Nick_Burman

Hello all,

In a quest to reduce shelf clutter I decide to follow the Japanese example and concoct some train boxes. I could buy more CASCO cases but they are expensive (after a fashion) and supply can be erratic (I'll be buying more when I got to Japan, though). Having a surplus of VHS tape boxes in hand I decided to use my brains...a trip to a shoe repairs supply shop yielded several sheets of 2mm EVA foam and a can of shoe repair glue. A few minutes with a cutting knife and glue and voilá, results as per pictures. So far I've done four boxes. I've created a cover slip for one (for my Mexican narrow-gauge pike) and I'm working on others (for my Japanese equipment), but I need something - could someone please find me a nice steam-era JOT logo (preferably in vector format) so I can add to my cover?

Cheers NB

post-283-0-91060600-1391956615_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-29580200-1391956622_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-76022100-1391956628_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-33114400-1391956758_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-24935900-1391956764_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-59140900-1391956769_thumb.jpg

post-283-0-62405400-1391956786_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

nick,

great idea with the vhs cases, i think i have a few of those laying around. wish i would have saved the boxes of old 3/4" boxes we tossed when the film studio i use to work with a lot closed last year

there were some book cases at a chain here in the us called container store that were pretty close to regular boxes and when they went on sale i bought a few. right now just holding the loose car boxes till i carve up foam for them

jeff

Nick,

Excellent idea, although I would be a little bit worried about the couplers if I would put 2 cars next to each other.

István,

Easy...just keep the 2 neighboring cars coupled together...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Thats a very good idea! We're in the process of buying a house and I won't have as much space as I do in our rental so I'm back to being very modular and having to store everything when I'm done with it.

a small hand coping saw with a round jewelers blade is great for cutting shapes in soft foam like this. you can cut profiles really nicely with a lot of fine control. electric scroll saw is super fast for doing these, but you need to either jump the blade to each cut out or do a path between each cutout and glue it back up later.

i use to make custom cases for small bits of camera pieces at the film studio for the field boxes like this.

jeff

• Like 1