E353: JR East's E351 replacement?

Davo Dentetsu

It's an extremely cool looking train. Very futuristic and not pushy looking in its design, though authoritarian. This is a very good follow-up to the E351 Series, which won't be really missed by yours truly. I'm a little bit disappointed the high-cab design isn't flowing through the first car's length, but maybe it's for the best.

• Like 1

Interesting, does have that rave feel to it. Going to hurt the credit card eventually as one that really needs the add on set to make it right!

Jeff

Here's one of the first videos of the E353 prototype trainset in action, running on the Shinonoi Line and Chūō Main Line south and southeast of Matsumoto:

Strange... It's a 9 cars + 3 cars... different from its former 8 + 4 cars...

It still looks good!

The sound horn is different from the E351 too, using the same one as the E257...

E351 sound horn

E353 Sound horn

The rear end looks like a sinister viper with those red eyes!

Edited by JR 500系
Guest keio6000

Strange... It's a 9 cars + 3 cars... different from its former 8 + 4 cars...

it was done because kato wanted to start selling at 3 cars instead of 4 in their starter packs.

sorry, but this train just looks and sound wrong in summer.  it looks like "too much" for the route and scenery.

Edited by keio6000

Hmm, I think it'd look better with a different paint scheme, but I like the design itself quite a bit better than the E351. The way the raised cab area extends further back feels much more fitting - the E351s' more bulbous ends always reminded me of enokitake mushrooms somehow. The AC units look slicker as well.

Davo Dentetsu

I just hope Mr Kato and Mr Tomix are already digging up their best crayons and drawing out their new products for me.  :D

Great pictures. A few things i noticed:

-the sides are not as rounded as on the e351, so not much space in the loading gauge for tilting

-all cars are coupled by side mounted shock absorbers, which makes both half sets pretty fixed

-new multiple unit coupler which is either missing or hidden on the non coupled ends, but then why are the doors there?

-the sides are not as rounded as on the e351, so not much space in the loading gauge for tilting

Depending on how far apart the cars from each other are, this isn't really an issue.

-new multiple unit coupler which is either missing or hidden on the non coupled ends, but then why are the doors there?

Some trains have doors on the front end to be used as escape exits in tunnels. Doors aren't necessarily used for connecting gangways for regular passenger traffic. A few examples are the Keisei Skyliners (AE100 and AE1) and Odakyū 60000 MSE who all have front doors, but aren't in daily use. Maybe when constructing the E353, a potential through service in metro tunnels was kept in mind (which wouldn't surprise me).

• Like 1
trainsforever8

I like the design, I don't understand why there's so many negative opinions about it o.o And like mentioned before by someone else, it would look very good in a snow scene which is actually my favourite scenery for watching trains so I can't wait to see railfaning videos of this beauty during winter!

Some trains have doors on the front end to be used as escape exits in tunnels. Doors aren't necessarily used for connecting gangways for regular passenger traffic. A few examples are the Keisei Skyliners (AE100 and AE1) and Odakyū 60000 MSE who all have front doors, but aren't in daily use. Maybe when constructing the E353, a potential through service in metro tunnels was kept in mind (which wouldn't surprise me).

Actually, the doors at the end of the E353 trainset makes sense for safety reasons given that between Takao and Enzan Stations there are a lot of tunnels and between Okaya and Midorko Stations there's that long tunnel, all on the Chūō Main Line.

Depending on how far apart the cars from each other are, this isn't really an issue.

I wasn't talking abut the space between the cars, but about the curvature of the sides. The 351 sets had an inward curving side towards the roof, so they couldn't hit any tunnel walls even when fully tilted on a straight track. The 353 sets have almost vertical side walls. As a result the 351 had a narrower profile at the roof line, while the 353 has a similar roof area cross section as a 233 commuter with no tilting. This means there is less space in the loading gauge to tilt without leaning out too much and scraping a tunnel wall or two. Intelligent computer control could limit the tilting to safe sections, but the 351 could travel the whole route fully tilted to one side (in case of equipment failiure) and still not hit anything.

Azusa Coffee!

I wished a real one was made!  :)

Not only the 353, but also the 285, 681, 683, 287 etc. basically any train with large front opening doors!