New Tomix Steam!

CaptOblivious

marknewton

WOW! In any scale that would be an impressive model, but particularly so in N scale. If anything were to tempt me into changing scales, this would be it. A high-specification model of one of my favourite Japanese steam locos.

Not only is it highly detailed, the details themselves are quite fine and delicate, which isn't always the case on N scale steam. I'm especially impressed by features such as the tender bogie crossmembers, and the turbine-driven auxillary spark arrestor.

I rode on C571 a few years back, and I was hugely impressed by the engine's performance. If this model's performance matches it's appearance, Tomix will have a winner for sure.

All the best,

Mark.

Claude_Dreyfus

Agree, WOW, that is absolutely stunning  :o

I'm really going to have to get me one of those...will really look the part atop my Tsubame set.

Fenway Park

Hi,

The Tomix model represents the Hokkaido version of the C57 as it has a enclosed cab with side doors and an additional headlight to the left of the main one mounted on top of the smoke box.

This headlight arrangement could also be found in northern Honshu fitted to C60/C61/D51 etc. 

It will be interesting to see if Tomix  offer other variants of the C57 in due course. So far Micro Ace have offered versions from Hokkaido or northern Honshu plus C57 1 and C57 180 in preserved condition with the extended cab roof etc.

I had hoped that as Micro Ace were working their way through the Imperial locos that they would make C57 117 which was the last steam loco to pull the Imperial train in normal service. This also is fitted with the German style deflectors that Kokura works fitted to 9600 D51 C11 D60 C61 C57 C58 and one C59.

Let's hope it will be better than their last attempt : the 9600.

Martijn Meerts

It looks very nice, definitely some hard competition for MicroAce if it comes to looks and detailing.

I'm slightly worried about running characteristics though. Looks like Tomix is trying to hide the motor, which is of course a good thing in general, but I haven't come across many N-scale steamers with hidden motors that actually ran well. Converting those with hidden motors to digital can also be a nightmare =)

That said, I'll likely get one at some point ;)

Martijn Meerts

Yes, but I've heard some bad things about their running characteristics...

Fenway Park

The Kato 9600 does not have the haulage capacity of the Micro Ace version and the wheels seem to pick up dirt easily despite cleaning the track. Also Kato's is 1/144 while Micro Ace is nearer to 1/150.

Doug Coster compared the new Kato C62 against the Micro Ace version and felt the Micro Ace version was superior.

I have both Kato and Micro Ace 9600s and the MA ones are better.