Fujimi releasing Kamome guideway train model

Fujimi is releasing a 1/150 model of Kamome (automated train with tired wheels that runs in a guideway instead of on rails) next month.

http://www.fujimimokei.com/item/items/4968728910109/

Static model but maybe a modified kato pocket mech might get it going!

Jeff

Yes I saw it too! I was thinking of a Tomix Moving Bus chassis to modify it more realistically. That way you don't need rails. You can even opt for a complete modification through two or three carriages with extra batteries or capacitors!

The original has guidewalls on both sides and siderail power pickups. The cars are short and each axle is a steerable single axle bogie with small steering wheels on both sides. I've built a working modell with this principle in 1:42 (0 scale), so it's doable, but you would need 2 powered tomix steering mechs. On the other hand using just fixed axles and a friction guide system (like plarail cars) would work just fine. So if you want to motorise you can build them with fixed axle cars. I'm not sure, but i think the kato (2 axle) and tomix (bus) drives would be too long here, but i saw someone making a working version with a train tracks based drive system with rubber tire imitations glued to the metal train wheels. With the tracks embedded in 'concrete' it looked realistic enough.

btw: the shimbashi station area is just the place where this kit could be used, so i think i'll need a few...