Kato tram layout + moving bus

Vato

trick is finding the right wire that the steering magnets will follow well, but not magnetize as he mentioned. i got it to work well with the faller busses thru 040 styrene and the tomytec steering magnets are much stronger than the faller were.

also those magnets can be found cheaply on ebay

keep us posted.

jeff

Just busses currently. although i did look at the potential of kitbashing the faller bus into some larger japanese trucks and totally doable. will be tougher with the new tomix mech as its one big giant box and hard to fit into a cab. the faller you can pull all apart and relocated bits where needed and steering mech was very easy to separate from the rest of the stuff to mount under a truck cab.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
Hi Guys, Tomix make only bus or some trucks too? (moving system)

Mr Frosty posted a Tomix display layout using Tomix Wide Tram Track and the Moving Bus System.  Moving Bus curves are designed to fit inside or outside Wide Tram Track.  Kato uses a totally different radius.

Just busses currently. although i did look at the potential of kitbashing the faller bus into some larger japanese trucks and totally doable. will be tougher with the new tomix mech as its one big giant box and hard to fit into a cab. the faller you can pull all apart and relocated bits where needed and steering mech was very easy to separate from the rest of the stuff to mount under a truck cab.

cheers

jeff

but fallers buses cost too much...

yes and not a great stop mech on them (just a reed switch). but they do allow you to pull them apart very easily if you want to do trucks and such.

i actually looked at 3D printing the steering mech a couple of years ago as this is the only bit on the faller mech that is not something pretty easy to come up with. tires are the only other needed thing. was a bit too involved and dropped it, but it is pretty doable. i was going to try to hand build one to see how hard it might be.

jeff

Edited by cteno4
yes and not a great stop mech on them (just a reed switch). but they do allow you to pull them apart very easily if you want to do trucks and such.

i actually looked at 3D printing the steering mech a couple of years ago as this is the only bit on the faller mech that is not something pretty easy to come up with. tires are the only other needed thing. was a bit too involved and dropped it, but it is pretty doable. i was going to try to hand build one to see how hard it might be.

jeff

I will try too, I have one of them (faller)

Sometime back, this video was posted:

At the end of the video, someone modified the moving bus chassis into a boat! Cute~ So i guess it can be done into trucks too. Also, with the coming cross junctions, the trucks then can stop at junctions too!

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
  • Like 4
Sometime back, this video was posted:

At the end of the video, someone modified the moving bus chassis into a boat! Cute~ So i guess it can be done into trucks too. Also, with the coming cross junctions, the trucks then can stop at junctions too!

Nice boat :)

it is such a stunning moving bus layout. really well done. those twisty roads show the bus movement off very well and also not so noticeable on those type roads there are not a lot of other cars around. city scene requires a bus express lane to explain why only busses there (and the only ones moving, rest of the cars can be stuck in traffic!). its the perfect scene to plop in a little hole in a layout with a little town built up on a hill with tracks lower. then bus looping around the hill twisting up and down its sides.

couple of the larger tomytec trucks have a wind guard on top of cab that might give enough space for the bus mech. need to gut the cab and its roof probably.

cheers

jeff

Edited by cteno4

OK Guys, Today I try to modify Kato unitram plates, I install two type of wires, (faller and music wire) no lucky, tomix bus and faller truck fail the test

Any idea?

vatato,

where did you put the wire? did you carve channels in all the little vertical pieces of supporting plastic so the wire was right up under the road plate? ive never tried to measure the thickness of the unitram plate under the roadway, i can dig mine out to see. the faller wire and bus worked fine under up to 040 styrene and the faller steering magnet is not as powerful as the tomytec.

have you tried the wire first under thin styrene or chipboard to test it out first?

jeff

Hi Jeff

I cut the vertical pieces, wire is under the plates

to day I will try to check with styrene

One of the guy, who done it before, told me, new chassis with white power button does not work for some reason, have no idea