GreenMax 2014 Catalog

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

I received the GreenMax 2014 catalog today from Nariichi-san (modeltrainplus.net). The packaging and delivery were outstanding and I encourage all to purchase items from him when you can.  He was even nice enough to include a small Tomytec catalog in the package.

The last GM catalog I bought was in 2002, so i figured it was time to see what GM has been up to.  Following GM's various release permutations on the internet is not always so easy.

The 2014 catalog is very thin compared to the 2002 catalog - about half the number of pages or less.  Unfortunately, a lot of the cut down can be understood in terms of smaller photos, decreasing the number of photos per item, elimination of 'features' and 'inspiation photos', and so forth.  Pity.  Actually, the 2014 catalog claims to have 168 pages and the 2002 has 226, so maybe the differnce is not that bad, but in that case it's an issue of thin paper.  Still, the 2014 catalog just seems to have so much less.

In case it was not clear already, GM is shifting from being a company that made kits to one that is increasingly provided pre-completed items (or partially pre-completed, such as their pre-painted kits).  This makes a fair amount of sense - higher profit margin for them probably and ability to reach the older collector who does not have time to build.

The catalog does a pretty good job of showing the completed sets they have available, though to understand some of the nuances of the various versions, you have to understand a little japanese as the non-verbal design of the catalog is 'good but not great.'

Some GM product choices are bizarre. I can't understand who would buy a GM completed kit 103, 201 or 211 for example - those were released long after competent tomix and kato equivalents were long available for cheaper and in higher build quality.   In the case of some trains, like the 10000 fukutoshin line, GM probably got unlucky with kato releasing their superb version nearly simultaneously with GM's release.  

Other GM set choices are great - if you are a Tobu fan, you have a lot of great sets to choose from.   I have never been in love with GM's Seibu 2000, but right now that's pretty much the only real game in town for that important train.  GM also has large competent Keikyu, Meitetsu, and Tokyu offerings, among others.

Some space is also given in the catalog to pre-colored but not completed kits.   The 'economy kits', formerly the bread-and-butter of GM, get very little space.

GM now sells completed container sets where one door of the container swings open for almost JPY 2000 for a 2-pack.  A pretty penny for a container!

The usual range of structures is highlighted, but in far less detail than what they used to. There's a two page spread on GM's pre-completed 'toyoko inn' kit.  Now, I'll be the first to say that their pre-completed low-income apartments have 'character.'  However, the Toyoko inn is the most generic possible business hotel.  Sure, it's part of modern japan's landscape around stations, but it's a bleak and forgettable one and symbolic of the irony of how the japanese culture, noted for its consideration of beauty and harmony of design, has managed to create some pretty horrid landscapes.   I don't think that toyoko inn will be in my collection any time soon!

All in all a good but not great catalog.  It's about time for companies to just give these out in PDF format.

Edited by keio6000

Ive started to feel the same about catalogs. while they are still great drool books to have around, over the years i have found my self looking at them less and less and willing to shell out $30 or more for one to be shipped over. Use to be better when Mokei would bring them over and i could get them for $12-14 here and just pick them up.

with the advent of ipads and such pdf ones do start making a lot more sense, but still not like having the book in your hand to thumb thru and dream...

jeff

Does any of the catalogs available on ipad or table or in pdf format or something like this?

I would happy to order the usual Kato catalog (and maybe Tomix, Greenmax and Modemo also), but the shopping cost is tooooo high. :-(

• Like 1