I use Photoshop at work (for minor corrections) and am right now taking a class learning to use CS4.

I was wondering if any of the members here use Photoshop for their photos?

All I use is CS1 at the moment and occasionally LR. I'm looking to go back to college soon and where I'll have a 200 series class on CS4

CaptOblivious

I use CS3 on occasion…anything I post here with arrows has been through the PS wringer. I also use it for color correction. Why do you ask?

Tenorikuma

I use Photoshop at work (for minor corrections) and am right now taking a class learning to use CS4.

I was wondering if any of the members here use Photoshop for their photos?

Unless I'm doing complicated manipulation, I use Aperture for all my photo adjustments.

At work I have Photoshop 7 which is really just fine for what I need to correct photos for broadcast and I have the Total training set of DVDs. There are 7 DVDs and after going through the whole tutorial all I really needed to know was about a 7th of the information on the set.

I signed up for a class and it's been very helpful but we are using CS4. It's initial set up is different and uses a lot of drive space (I downloaded a month free trial from Adobe) I'm still trying to get used to it and it probably offers more than what I need, but I'll see by trial and error if I like it.

Martijn Meerts

I use CS3 daily at work, and I've got CS4 at home for design work. I also use photoshop for masking/cutting out the background from train pictures and other stuff.

For color correction and working with RAW files from my DSLR I use Aperture. I've used Lightroom as well, but I preferred the archiving and organisational tools in Aperture.

We have Photoshop LE (24-bit only  :P ) at home, and I use the GIMP freeware at work. They're usually enough for adjusting casual web stuff, but I really need to get the real thing for my own photos. Of course, I also need a medium-format film scanner and a good printer, but haven't found a bank with lax security yet.

I use CS3 a lot for photo work, but also cheat with iphoto as its really fast and easy if you have a huge pile of photos that are going up say on a web gallery that dont need really heavy tweaking. even then iphoto does a grand job of basic correction and its rotate function and crop function are actually a lot easier and faster to use than photoshop if im doing a big batch!

big nice thing with iphoto is doing slide shows. the pan and scan feature is really nice to put together slide shows with some zip in a very very quick time. i have done some exhibit sideshows with it and folks ask if it was done in finalcut and have to bashfully tell them nope it was good old iphoto! my video editor hates to admit to her photo and video class how much she uses it and rarely uses finalcut to do these kinds of simple slide shows! dirty little secret!

cheers,

jeff

I also have iPhoto too and I agree it's easy to use and does the job. For work I sometimes have to do some editing and corrections to a photo. I sometime do work for Parade Mag. and everything is in the wrong format, set for a magazine and not for broadcast.

groan... dont you love fiddling with the color spaces :o! can drive me mad when some embedded color space/profile starts mucking up photoshop or when i forget or dont realize the default has changed! i deal with a wide range of graphics and clients so its so easy to not realize that thing are a bit off for a while!

Unfortunately, graphics like this is only part of my work so i never get really good or systemitized down well enough to avoid all the pitfalls!

cheers,

jeff

Martijn Meerts

big nice thing with iphoto is doing slide shows. the pan and scan feature is really nice to put together slide shows with some zip in a very very quick time. i have done some exhibit sideshows with it and folks ask if it was done in finalcut and have to bashfully tell them nope it was good old iphoto! my video editor hates to admit to her photo and video class how much she uses it and rarely uses finalcut to do these kinds of simple slide shows! dirty little secret!

cheers,

jeff

Final Cut isn't designed for slideshows of course =)

I generally use whatever works for me, haven't really tried iPhoto yet since I have Aperture and am comfortable with that. No doubt iPhoto has some features I would use if I could be bothered to re-generate all the thumbnails/previews in Aperture into a bigger version, so I can use those in iPhoto as well instead of having to import them all into iPhoto =)

G-d, I stopped using iPhoto a decade ago. I need color profile workspace, espeically for output.

I'd wish there was a PS release for Ubuntu. No way in hell could I use GIMP. I hate GIMP.

Tenorikuma

G-d, I stopped using iPhoto a decade ago. I need color profile workspace, espeically for output.

iPhoto automatically uses the profile you have set up for your display, so for photos at least, I'm not sure why you'd need to fiddle with other profiles — unless you don't keep your display calibrated.

guess you stopped using it before it ever got made... its only been out like 7 years now!  :P

yeah it is not meant for professional level work, but can do a lot quickly in a pinch and well. nice steady improvements have gone into it over the years. having it maintain its own copies of images is both good and bad. its a good tool though and does the job well for some applications. Like Tenorikuma says it picks up the system colorspace so you need to set that to get it to use what you want, cant override it easily like in image editing programs.

I keep flirting with aperture and lightroom betas, but just dont have the needs right now to justify the cost and learning curve. if the next big exhibit project ends up with a huge image catalog i will probably move over there for the big projects. I have never been really happy with the large catalog/cm systems and watched too many photographer friends really struggles with many of them over the years...

cheers,

jeff

No way in hell could I use GIMP. I hate GIMP.

FWIW, I don't use GIMP for anything serious. I just use it for quick stuff when I'm stuck at work. I mainly have it because it's free.

guess you stopped using it before it ever got made... its only been out like 7 years now!  :P

cheers,

jeff

That's called sarcasm.

I had a contract working in a sign shop doing GD about four years ago where they ran iPhoto on the macs. I liked iPhoto about as much as I like using Aperture now.

That's called sarcasm.

I had a contract working in a sign shop doing GD about four years ago where they ran iPhoto on the macs. I liked iPhoto about as much as I like using Aperture now.

just being sarcastic about your sarcasm!  ;)

so i take it you are not an aperture fan? i have not played with it since the original beta and i was on the fence about it then, but was hoping it would mature. same with lightroom.

jeff

I also have iPhoto & I agree it's easy to use and does the job. Thanks for your comments.

William,

have you checked out iphoto library manager? its a great free app that lets you have more than one iphoto library easily and change which is loaded into iphoto on launch. lets you separate your photos into different libraries then so you dont end up with a single mega library.

also check out galerie, its a nice little program to create web galleries quickly from iphoto. very flexible and powerful little free program.

cheers

jeff

yeah it is not meant for professional level work, but can do a lot quickly in a pinch and well. nice steady improvements have gone into it over the years. having it maintain its own copies of images is both good and bad. its a good tool though and does the job well for some applications. Like Tenorikuma says it picks up the system colorspace so you need to set that to get it to use what you want, cant override it easily like in image editing programs.

I keep flirting with aperture and lightroom betas, but just dont have the needs right now to justify the cost and learning curve. if the next big exhibit project ends up with a huge image catalog i will probably move over there for the big projects. I have never been really happy with the large catalog/cm systems and watched too many photographer friends really struggles with many of them over the years...

cheers,

jeff

I lost track of what version of Lightroom we're up to now. I'm still on LR1, and CS1.

Hurrr. I'm still on CS from the stone age, but it doesn't differ much from the newer versions (that's what my dad said and he uses PS every day (he even got to test and review the newest version)). I also don't use it that intense any more, as I somewhat stepped off the manga-drawing track in the last few months... I might pick it up in the next few weeks to work a my project again.

Martijn Meerts

The entire Adobe CS hasn't seen all that many improvements since the first release. Some programs just don't get any updates at all, other than a new program icon ;)

CS5 could be interesting for us Mac users, since Adobe has *FINALLY* get off their collective lazy arses to port some code to 64bit. I don't doubt said code will require half a billion patches before it actually works somewhat reasonable though ;)