Hello Strangers

Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries

Hello members,

As some will remember, I started this forum 6 years ago. I retired from Admin about 2 years ago due to illness, family issues, and other pressing problems. However i am pleased to say i am back, raring to go and planning a new layout myself as part of a major construction job on my house. 

Hope to have many constructive conversations!

• Like 8
DBSchenker60008

I have missed this place myself but although I have a new ID since losing my original e-mail and credentials to log in. I thought I would start a fresh.  So a warm welcome back from me Darren :). By the way, will you be modelling in N or HO gauge? I used to run an N gauge layout that was loosely based around Osaka from 2009 to 2011 when I packed it in due to my eyesight not being as good like it used to be :(. But I will be modelling Japanese trains again but it will be HO scale based on an "all-stars" layout which will be a generic layout ;).

Best Regards

Ash.

• Like 2
Darren Jeffries

Hi Ash,

I will be Modelling N scale due to size limitations, or more accurately, more detail in less space! We are building an extension on the house this spring/Summer and it will give me a loft space approx 8m by 8m. With eves space limited, the usable space is more like 6.5m x7m. When I started the forum i had a few Kato sets and no layout, with plans to build one. But it never materialised due to all sorts of outside interference's. This is definitely a good year!

Darren Jeffries

Jeff, good to be back my friend. Long time no speak. Your little postal gifts were always a delight! 

Marti, dont pee yourself buddy, i am not saying it is going to be as big as that! but it might be!

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Darren, since you haven't started building it yet, just sneak in a few extra meters here and there.. Maybe no one will notice ;)

• Like 1

Darren, good to have you back. I'm very grateful that you started this forum, I'm glad to hear that you can participate again. 

Ash, also good to have you back. Great to have another HO scale modeller on the forum - our numbers seem to be growing.  :)

What are your plans for a layout?

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
DBSchenker60008

Thanks Mark.

To answer your question on my layout project. It will be a dual level layout as the upper level will be a continuous high speed loop which will allow my planned Shinkansen fleet to run at full pelt as the HSL will have shallow curves which should alleviate the radius issue with some high speed trains. The lower level on the other hand will be a generic modern image themed city with a main station, an oil refinery and a metropolis area which will have a Japanese community in the area and a less desirable "run down" district which will be based on former industrial area which the derelict buildings will have graffiti on most of them for added realism. So my layout will be multimode as I have various model trains in OO and HO scale which are British, Irish (I am Irish-decent), French, US, German, Italian and Spanish origins :). The Kato E5 Shinkansen is my very first HO scale Japanese model train and the next one I wish to get when I have completed my E5 Shinkansen as a full set is the EF510 in the "Silver" colour. Sorry I cannot remember the name :(.