SHO TOSHI extended (was: Kyushu on 6,2m to 1,0m in N Scale)

SONIC883_de

Hi,

I wish you a happy new year!

The new year starts with make some resolutions to do. One of the resolutions for the year is: Do more on your layout!

I start my larger model train layout on 6,2x1m now.

What would I like to build?
- N-Scale using Tomix Finetrack
- Kyushu, not fixed to a special era
- Rural to suburban
- Hills and Water would be nice
- maximum trainlength: 8 coaches (or shorter? -> 6)

My collection includes KIHA 71/183/185/200/220, Series 103/303/415/787/811/813 and some locomotives like EF73/74/75 and SL C11/51.
Additional I have some other Rolling Stock across Japan

Actual I am looking for some prototype pictures of Kyushu's rural or suburban Railway infrastructure - maybe some links to aerial photos (Google/Apple Maps) of nice railway stations. 

Which kind of Line should I build? Two tracks like Nippo Mainline (Oita -> Beppu)

or a one track line like Hohi Main Line around Aso. 
Miyaji Station (宮地駅) https://goo.gl/maps/2yXeH looks interesting, but for details the aerial photo is to bad. Has someone a better photo or the trackplan?

Other Stations like Aso Station (阿蘇駅 )https://goo.gl/maps/tkQgk could look like the attached photo. But that one is a little bit to small for a single station on the layout.

But I like the simplicity of this Station type.

- Kai

post-72-0-97556500-1389005998_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-13352200-1389006020_thumb.jpg

Edited by SONIC883_de

Kai,

Hey nice to see you back! Looks like a nice space for the layout. Will be fun to watch it come together.

Cheers

Jeff

I would always go for a one track line; but why not have a layout with two tracks on one side of the station and one track on the other side? That should add some interest. ;)

Hey man! Nice to see you back.

Personally, I would go for an electrified single track main line loop that goes from the urban area to the countryside with a staging yard hidden in the back.

The station in the suburban area would have a single track non-electrified branch line to the country side as well, but with one or two stations in between. Maybe have it go up a mountain and end back in the suburbs of the same urban area. You can even opt for a small (hidden) staging yard on the local line as well to make journeys look longer. Tunnels and elevations can work magic into creating more visual space.

I'm also modelling Kyushu.  I just googled the term 'Kyushu trains' and it came up with heaps of pictures.  But to be honest, I'm only as far as collecting trains.

http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/

Hakata Kumamoto Kagoshima rail stations are always good to look for in google images.  Couple of good bridges and beaches also in Kyushu. Oyodo rail bridge is preety easy to model using red truss bridge sections.

Edited by katoftw

Hello Mr Sonic883_de,

Happy New Year to you.

I like your plan very much.  I am a fan of Kyushu railways, but have only travelled as far south as Kumamoto.  I don't have a favourite journey, but taking the Sonic to Beppu is always enjoyable because of the coastal aspect.

If I were planning the layout I would probably draw on many aspects of Kyushu railways:  Perhaps Nagasaki at one end with a small tram layout and a 787 running from Nagasaki to Hakata.  A shinkansen loop representing Hakata to Kokura with 500, N700 and 800 series running.  A coastal line representing Kokura to Beppu with Sonic and suburban train running.  And a mountainous line across the back on which to run Yufuin-No-Mori, Aso Boy and Hayato no Kaze ... any Kyushu KiHa, really.

But as this is your layout and your dream I look forward to seeing the direction you choose.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

sure, I have some Shinkansen (800, N700-8000) aswell. But I like to build a layout which isn't so in a hurry. The idea with the divide the layout is one option in my mind, because I have some trains which looks nice on a double track like the Series 103 or 303, but also the Series 883, 885 or 787. The most Kilometers of Main Lines in Kyushu are single track... Have a look at the JR Kyushu Company song video. 

I like Miyaji Eki, it is the other end of the line for the Aso Boy (Steam and Diesel) and is possible to build, on the other end Kumamoto eki could be a little bit to big ...

Hmmmm... how to say? I want to build a little bit more as a train station. Or with other words. Only a small Station to store some trains and much "track in the nature". I haven't visited Kyushu or Japan yet. From this view I haven't concrete pictures in my mind.  

Maybe I haven't found the right place

And it is good that some of you remind me after so long silence. But I think the most of you have the same problems: Health of the family, own health, the house, the work, the money and the time. It is all okay, but is hard manage all together. 

sounds like a plan! check out Ulrich's mini modules based on your site linked above

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/minimodules.html

I keep thinking of doing this quickly to make a little loop that would be easy to transport for little events. the single track and think modules really lends itself well to doing dramatic little scenes than ttrak does.

i had looked at doing ttrak modules with solid legs like this, but insetting them just a little in from the ends and also having them just slip into a slot in the bottom of the module so i could remove them for transport. they ended up looking like little sushi trays!

keep us posted!

cheers

jeff

I know Ulrichs modules. Pretty nice work. He wrote in IG nippoN Forum, too. It is easier to build a nice looking scenery. T-Track is nice, too. You can build big layout with it. But the strength is smaller layouts with hard curves. I think it is the right decision  

Here a plan of my big layout. Only to show the dimensions. E231-500 Yamanote with 11car *lof* - 16cars of Shinkansen! Maybe this is the right way to play 

The Depot can hold 16cars trains, too. One thing I don't like is the long way to the Roundhouse. 

Pretty nice is the 4 parallel track in the front.

post-72-0-85412000-1390309468_thumb.jpg

Edited by SONIC883_de

T-Trak is good.  But it does have it's limitations with Kyushu though.  One thing I have found is that alot of is that the 2 track T-Trak setup is unfriendly to the 1 track lines that run all over the Kyushu. ie the Odoyo River red truss bridge.

Was thinking of doing and reduced depth module and using a scenery board in front of the second line to hide train passing, so in front of the scenery board os the single line odoyo brdige crossing.  It's alot of work considering it's just for one bridge.  But it's really the only ways to make Kyushu + T-Trak look photo.

Maybe it'll be a module to attempt way later on when I get better scenery skills.

---

Please keep the pictures coming when you start your project.  I need inspiration to actually get off my bum and start my Kyushu modules.

Edited by katoftw

yeah there is something very nice about the shallow mini 1 trak modules, really makes a scene like this pop well that does not seem to happen as well on 2 track ttrak. ive thought of doing larger 1 track modules as well, and now am thinking of mixing them up with mini ones as well.

ive thought it might be fun to do a little point to point with a station in the center and then reverse the polarity of one train and then both could run on the same track in opposite directions. then isolate the center station tracks and the end station tracks so when it arrives at these it would stop until you tripped a switch to make them continue (and reverse first if at the end). would also be pretty straight forward to automate with a few sensors.

something nice about a layout that would just run down as single modules.

jeff

The small modules would be step 2 ( March onward )

Here one reason I decide to build a simple layout or only expand my Layout.

To build it with high grade scenery it is difficult when I like to run many different trains on it. Long Shinkansen, long Freight Trains (20+ KOKIs), Commuter trains or some smaller local trains. A curvy layout would be nicer, but how realistic is that? Not every follows a river or valley.  

Edit: And some trains in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTUEATm0nAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft2xulnfOPw

post-72-0-62667600-1390380108_thumb.jpg

Edited by SONIC883_de
yeah there is something very nice about the shallow mini 1 trak modules, really makes a scene like this pop well that does not seem to happen as well on 2 track ttrak. ive thought of doing larger 1 track modules as well, and now am thinking of mixing them up with mini ones as well.

ive thought it might be fun to do a little point to point with a station in the center and then reverse the polarity of one train and then both could run on the same track in opposite directions. then isolate the center station tracks and the end station tracks so when it arrives at these it would stop until you tripped a switch to make them continue (and reverse first if at the end). would also be pretty straight forward to automate with a few sensors.

something nice about a layout that would just run down as single modules.

jeff

i've had a think on this over the past few days.  all my t-trak corners are 3 line 249/282/315.

keep the 2 normal t-trak tracks as normal, but thinking of using a inside third track and using inclines and have it raised towards the back of the module ie like half way up a hill with tree up and down hill of the track.  same as the Ibusuki no Tamatebako or Isaburo & Shinpei lines.  use R481 curves and S64 with regular straight section, and it'll keep all the measurements correct within the modules.

The small modules would be step 2 ( March onward )

Here one reason I decide to build a simple layout or only expand my Layout.

To build it with high grade scenery it is difficult when I like to run many different trains on it. Long Shinkansen, long Freight Trains (20+ KOKIs), Commuter trains or some smaller local trains. A curvy layout would be nicer, but how realistic is that? Not every follows a river or valley.

Dont start me on Kokis.  I think I become obsessed with JRF stuff in the past few weeks.  Why am I getting so excited about mixing and matching various containers on Kokis? lol

Edited by katoftw

Status on 02/05:

The first expansion is 560mm. I switch to TOMIX Finetrack Wide. 

There is a little problem with the poles. But nothing which isn't to fix. More pictures in this week.

post-72-0-17144000-1391604005_thumb.jpg

post-72-0-20150200-1391604031_thumb.jpg

Edited by SONIC883_de