photo of cross-section of "cab-above" design

This photo (which unfortunately can't be enlarged) shows a lengthwise-section illustration of a limited express with the driver's cab above the seating area. It looks like the driver's legs must need to be stretched out in front--not enough vertical space to sit as if in a chair.

I snuck in to a Romance Car last year to get shots looking forward from Shinjuku when the motorman opened the trap door to the cab. I remembered thinking, "Man, it's cramped up there" I can see on the Romance Cars why they open them up like that, but some of the class 485 on JR West are turret and I couldn't understand why they were built that way as there was no end car pass through (no door or connection to another car for MU running). It struck me as odd to fabricate the vehicle that way.

Yeah, I've wondered about that, too--not sure if it's just for looks, or if there's a reason that it works better or is somehow safer. Somebody must know.

That was my 1st reaction when I saw the video. I wonder if there are physical restrictions on being an train engineer in Japan?

bikkuri bahn

That was my 1st reaction when I saw the video. I wonder if there are physical restrictions on being an train engineer in Japan?

Dunno, but at Odakyu, the short guys may be the object of envy, for a change :cheesy

One must be a contortionist

I just can't see a Sumo Wrestler saying announcing his retirement at a press conference saying, "Now I'm going to live my life long dream of being an engineer on the 50000 VSE Romance train!"