NHK World running a show called Train Cruise

miyakoji

Read the description of this show in Peter Barakans voice over style - I watch this show way too much

I watch this every week and also another excellent NHK World show "Tokyo Eye", these shows are always so interesting!! 

Edited by dabsan
  • Like 2

Yeah, these are two of the best on the channel.  For the most part, any of the programming that's actually about Japan is pretty good, I think.

the_weird_one

I watch this every week and also another excellent NHK World show "Tokyo Eye", these shows are always so interesting!!

My normal NHK viewing is, Dining with the Chef, Go Kitchen Go, Journeys in Japan, Great Gear, Tokyo Eye, Begin Japanology, sometimes I watch J-mello

• Like 1

I spend most of my time watching Asian TV. I can record upwards of 10 programmes a week on NHK World. Everything from Great Gear, Science View, Fudoki and Satoyama, to the other end of the scale with Tokyo Fashion Express and Kawaii International. If my wife was still alive, she would have loved the food/cooking shows. I spent most of my working life as a game artist/coder/designer and Asian culture just pushes all the right buttons for me.

I also watch KBS World and Arirang TV for Korean programmes too. Dumping my Sky subscription was the best thing I ever did. :)

• Like 1

There will be another episode March 8th and 9th, this time about lines in Tohoku. The schedule is a little different, it will be aired 3 times each day.

• Like 1

I have got it set to record twice, to make sure I get a good copy. I recorded the Japanology programme twice too. If the_weird_one wants to convert and share them, then I will send them over.

For anyone interested in this, please double check the schedule.  According to http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/schedule/ this show should be on right now in my timezone, but it is not.  The show's page says:

Mar. 8, Sat. 15:10/ 19:10/ 23:10/
Mar. 9, Sun. 3:10/ 7:10/ 11:10 (UTC)

which does not match the schedule page when set to my timezone.  I think their page is not correctly calculating the offsets for North American Eastern and Pacific timezones.  GMT and JST look ok.

Edited by miyakoji

Definitely OK here in the UK. Just checked my first recording, and it was right on time.

Yeah I also watched it this afternoon in the UK at the scheduled time.

I was very surprised to just come across an episode here in Philadelphia today -- snow country along the Sea of Japan, and the Stove Train.

Rich K.

Missed the last portion of the show, and the speed when I watched was really bad... It's like watching a damaged disc...

The_wierd_one, would you happen to have saved the latest episode? Would love to save them all for future viewing too..

If anyone also have the Begin Japanolog Railways episode, will appreciate also if able to download so can download for future viewing.

Thanks in advance!

the_weird_one

DVD received today thanks Lee.

Begin Japanology is currently encoded and uploading, with Train Cruise about 10% encoded.

• Like 1

Cool... glad it got there okay. :)

Not watched all of Train Cruise yet, I was a bit disappointed to see them cover hunting in the show... something I have strong views on. So I turned it off in disgust. I will have to create an edited version I can watch and keep.

I watched Begin Japanology though, very enjoyable, and I want that layout from the bar. :D

I thought they got a bit off track :grin in that episode, I was looking forward to some better scenes of Tohoku's railroading on the Sea of Japan coast. The Kyoto and Kyushu episodes have been the best so far, I think.

While the theme song plays, there's a scene of a 681 or 683 series Thunderbird, I'd definitely like to see a Hokuriku episode.

Hello there,

I've started to watch the NHK documentaries "Train Cruise". I like these very much but they are hard to find on HD.

For people who are interested in NHK documentaries like BEGIN TECHNOLOGY, TRAIN CRUISE and all the other ones, take a look at this link 

http://torrents.animes-bg.com/index.php?page=torrents&active=1&category=4&order=3&by=2&pages=1

Here I've found all the docs broadcasted except Train Cruise: Journey to Highland Hot Springs Resorts

This one is hard to find, and many links are broken. Does anybody have a valid link to download it on good quality ?

Thanks & greetings from France !

• Like 2