NHK World running a show called Train Cruise

miyakoji

I just noticed that NHK World has a show (new to me) called Train Cruise.  Link here: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/special/train_cruise.html .  This channel is broadcast all over the world by different networks, it might be available in your region.  If it's not, NHK also has an Android app that I think will let you tune in from any internet-connected device: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.nhkworldtv.android

Thanks for the advice!  I missed the first 20 minutes or so but what I saw was great. As I made the reverse trip (Kagoshima->Kumamoto) little more than a month ago, the show brought back some nice memories.

Yeah it was a pretty good episode.  They're going to be airing this one more time (4:10 PM ET in the US, 9:10 PM GMT, and 10:10 PM CET).

Also it looks like there's another episode in January which will include Kintetsu's new 50000 series train, the Shimakaze.  I'm interested to see some clear video of its interior.

Guest keio6000

ha i just clicked on the NHK link and they had a piece about the fuji ultramarathon (presumably?) this year and some guy named yoshikazu hara who i guess won it.  i was in japan while this was going on and in fact was leading a mountaineering group up fuji.  our group stayed in a hostel at kawaguchiko where some of the ultramarathoners were, including some well known french UTMB ultramarathoners.  we were in awe of them, of course but surprisingly they were also asking us a ton of questions and were instead interested in us since we (experienced mountaineers) had gone out in rather severe winter-hanging-on-quite-late conditions (think 120+ km/hr winds in blowing snow, and, lower down, thunder and lightning -- the weather had moderated by the time the fuji ultramarathon went on a few days later).    trail-running ultramarathoners are really some of the most amazing people you'll ever meet--humble, athletic and just awesome.

(of course, after getting off fuji, the next day, after the storm, was absolutely perfect - clear and calm - but we had a schedule to stick to as that was just a warm up for our japan alps climbing)

i now have a goal to run the fuji ultramarathon some day, although not as a serious competitor - just to finish.    of course, that means i have to stop eating cake as i write this ...

unfortunately, we had planned to go to mt elbrus this summer.. i hope the bomb today does not put a damper on this (volgograd is near mt elbrus).

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Densha" data-cid="91205" data-time="1388344486"><p>

I wonder when they will re-air the second episode on the Yufuin no Mori... I'll be sure to write the date of the third one down!</p></blockquote>

Unfortunately they're only re-airing this one because viewers chose it as a best-of-the-year episode. I don't know if they'll re-air the other episodes at all.

By the way, you can record the stream pretty easily using a software called StreamTransport. It's free but you have to be extra careful during the installation process if you don't want to install adware!!

That's cool! 

I've download the And App and install it, but i think i'm missing something here. The dates shown on the link are the airing dates? So that means the Beppu one and the Kyushu one are already aired? The Toyama to Ise is scheduled to air on the 25 Jan 2014? I'm guessing it would be a great show to watch... Really a misfortune to miss this... 

the_weird_one

Yesterdays screening was for the Viewers Choice programming between Christmas and New Years, so was a repeat of an already aired program.

Weird one,

Thanks that was fun. I spent a week wandering around Kyushu on my first trip to Japan in 1984 (yikes almost 30 years ago). Lots of things were things I did like Kagoshima castle, kuma river boat, outside onsens, shochu tasting, visiting volcanos. Quite fun and practically no westerners. Trains were not as nice as these, nice to see these renovations.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
In case anyone missed it and wants to see it I've just finished uploading the episode to my Google Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmfVtyuE_kWcnFjWTRSSVFrT00/edit?usp=sharing - not sure how good its going to be as its a rip from the webstream.

That's a nice video to watch! 

Definitely try to board the SL Hitoyoshi the next time i'm in Kyushu! 

Did he complete the journey in 2 days? I knew he boarded the Hitoyoshi and spent a night at Hitoyoshi, before boarding the Isaburo Shinpei and tranferring directly to Hayato no Kaze. 

the_weird_one

I believe that he completed the entire trip in 2 days since as you say he did a direct transfer to the Hayato no Kaze from the Isaburo Shinpei, and with the NHK programs I have watched if they do an overnight stop anywhere they always show that they've done a stop.

His route is quite a nice one to follow... I might just do what he did: Kumamoto - Hitoyoshi, then take the Isaburo Shinpei and Hayato No Kaze to Kagoshima-Chuo, and Tusbame back to Hakata for entering into the Chugoku area... 

That's a fantastic video ~ Thanks Weird_one for sharing! Any idea how i might be able to download this? It's a good reference video for my Japan trip planning..

the_weird_one

Theres a method of downloading the video off the drive but I've forgotten what it is. I'll look it up when i get on my computer rather than my iPad for you.

Any idea how i might be able to download this? 

Just click on the downward pointing arrow in the top left corner. ;)

• Like 1
the_weird_one

You welcome for the upload, if people want I'm willing to do it for all the train related shows but people would have to give me a heads up as to when they're on