Powered couplers for old Tomix 500/700 shinkansens

Sinus

Hi,

Recently, I started thinking about revitalizing my old JR500 92082+92084 sets and JR700 Hikari Rail Star 92276 by adding powered couplers same as in new line of Tomix shinkansens. Powered couplers give basically two things: (1) motor car gets power from the whole train and runs smoothly in case of dirt, points, etc. (2) head/tail/interior lights do not flicker at all. In short, that's really cool.

The subject has been initially discussed in 

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/7419-enquiry-about-damaged-kato-power-pack-tomix-pick-up-wheels/page-2

My latest research is as follows:

1. Motor car: you have to buy power bogies 0483 + 0484 for 800Yen each (most expensive part)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10131573

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10131574

2. Trailing car: I believe you can use old bogies but you have to add coupler set like this JC0320 400Yen per pair for one car. 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10066577

Although, it is said to be for N700 it looks same as those in motor car. I didn't find too many kinds of such sets - there are also JC6302 (black for series 0), JC6304 (grey for E6 - too short for JR500) The old bogies have to be modified, i.e., old hook/ring have to be cut off.

My Tomix E5 has just arrived so I will see soon if its bogies would fit as well. I can see that it has JC6305 coupler set but not listed yet at any shops.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Sinus

Nice topic Sinus!

I have both the older 500 and 700-7000 rail star, and wished to convert them to power couplers too cause the system is just too cool to pass by...

I did ordered in some Tomix pick up trucks for my 500 series, but they're just normal pick up trucks and not power coupler types. The conversion would prove rather costly, especially if you are looking at a Nozomi 6-car 500 series... (ouch). However, running on power coupler systems is really cool. The motor is exceptionally smooth, even at low speeds, which are great for filming especially when the trains pull into or move off from stations. It also helped to provide almost seemless flow of electricity, which might almost no lights flickering, and definitely looks great when the trains are interior lighted. Coupled with the Tomix TCS power unit N-1001-CL http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10079356 , we can have fully lighted up trains sitting in the stations waiting for departure! 

Wouldn't one wish the tilting system of the Kato can be in-cooperated together with the power coupler system of Tomix? 

I did ordered in some Tomix pick up trucks for my 500 series, but they're just normal pick up trucks and not power coupler types. The conversion would prove rather costly, especially if you are looking at a Nozomi 6-car 500 series... (ouch). However, running on power coupler systems is really cool. The motor is exceptionally 

If you don't buy new bogies then not that costly 2x800Y + 5x400Y=3600Y. Including some discounts it could be around 3000Y.

Wouldn't one wish the tilting system of the Kato can be in-cooperated together with the power coupler system of Tomix? 

If you mean tilting mechanism as in my Kato N700 than I say thanks ;)

Sinus,

ok i pulled out my tomix n700 and 922 with power couplers and tomix 100, 500 and 922 with out the power couplers. 

the power couplers are two parts, the truck that is just the truck and wheels, no coupler arm and the power coupler ring that goes around the X riser on the chassis between the truck and chassis. it has a small spring that keeps pressure down on the coupler arm.

truck sides of course look slightly different of course, but the mechanics of the coupler and bogie axle area look compatible.

You could probably get away with just buying the power rings and then using the old trucks and cut off the coupler at the axle. you would then need to add a small block under the rest of the coupler stem left and drill a hole for the power ring spring to fit in. so you would be looking at 400yen per car. of course you would need whole new power trucks for the power car.

so looks very doable. again i would council trying to convert one pair of couplers first before going to a larger investment. could be tough to get those in bulk though. i know doug coster tried early on in the power coupling release and i think could not get more than a couple of units. i doubt they made them in high volume as a spare even though they would be hot for something like this.

also funny to see how dirty the power coupler trains were! they run and run and run so dont get cleaned like the regular trains do. plus no power draw on a lot of the cars (no lights) so no electrical oxidation going on with arcing.

cheers

jeff

pict 1:

100  w/o power coupler 

922  w/ power coupler 

922 w/o power coupler 

n700 w/ power coupler 

500  w/o power coupler 

pict 2:

500  w/o power coupler 

n700  w/ power coupler 

922  w/o power coupler 

922  w/ power coupler 

100  w/o power coupler 

pict 3:

N700 with power coupler is on top and the 500 w/o is below. 

post-24-0-85882100-1388178036_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-00602000-1388178046_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-25938200-1388178047_thumb.jpg

Edited by cteno4

Jeff,

Thanks a lot for all the information and photos. I believe the power coupler ring from photo #3 is JC0320. The other rings from E5 and E6 have no additional springs so require no additional effort and drilling. 

Sinus,

I would look ath the bogie axle on the e5/6 and see if they look the same as the 500 and 700. I'm betting the springs have a reason to be there. The n700, 922, old 500, and old 922 all have the same bogie axle design, so I suspect there was a reason for the spring to ass the power coupling to them.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Hi,

Bogie from E6 is too short, however, one from E5 fits fine. The spring seems to be irrelevant - a number of test rides showed no issues at all.

Here are some photos:

Up: E5,

Down: 500 with original bogies

post-1867-0-72615400-1388438679_thumb.jpg

Up: motor car of E5,

Down: 500 with added power coupler ring from E5 

post-1867-0-73138200-1388438680_thumb.jpg

3. power coupler ring from E5 - my guess is that its part number is JC6305

post-1867-0-57145300-1388438681_thumb.jpg

Last note: power ring from E6 has no spring at all.

Sinus

cool! glad to hear its all working. they are slightly different coupler mechs. looks like the spring is to just keep the power ring well pushed against the chassis to probably make sure its wipes are in good contact with the chassis pickups.

have you tried to purchase a train set of couplers yet?

jeff

have you tried to purchase a train set of couplers yet?

No, not yet. Just doing research at the moment.

I did ordered in some Tomix pick up trucks for my 500 series, but they're just normal pick up trucks and not power coupler types. 

JR500, what is the part number of the bogies you ordered?

JR500, what is the part number of the bogies you ordered?

Hi Sinus:

The bogies i ordered are Tomix 0094 - WDT-205. Link here: http://www.tec-station.jp/shop/ProductDetail.do?sub_genre_id=0&pid=0094

According to Tomix, they're made for the 500 series, just exactly what i needed for my 500 series to interior light it. Unfortunately the parcel is retained in customs or i could install them and record my findings here...

Hi Sinus:

Sorry for taking such a long time to reply as I had to wait till my pre-ordered illumi lights are in before I can test these. Now that they're in, I made the change today. Part number is Tomix 0094, which is still in stock so I believe any retailer has them. Do note i'm not sure whether it will work for the Railstar though...

They're really easy to install; unscrew the old wheel assembly, place the two mini springs (be careful with that! You wouldn't want them to spring onto the floor and have a hard time finding them as they're really tiny. Also they're really crucial as they join the wheels which pick up electricity to the metal strips in the floor bed of the carriage) into their positions and screw the whole assembly back on. They're the normal ones though so no power couplers on them. Install the illumi lights and they're done!

Please see below pictures which I took today while I change them. Also made a small video to show all the lights inside my 500 series. I have to blame my laziness for NOT cleaning the track which is SUPER dirty judging at how my train jerks while moving and the amount of light flicker....

http://youtu.be/BEHxADTBFLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3IvAcmg8cQ&feature=youtu.be

post-819-0-29239500-1395752754_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-46616900-1395752776_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-44989600-1395752799_thumb.jpg

Back to this project, I decided to change my E-series fleet from Kato to Tomix, so a lot of the older models especially the E3s and E4, and even the 400 series, doesn't come with electric couplers. I've been pointed out by Nartak san from Model Train Plus this website:

http://kq2100.blog110.fc2.com/blog-category-19.html

It contains great information about how to go about changing the couplers to make them all power couplers. But i'm having a little problem as I tried to search a lot of the parts they used are out-of-stock. It also seems like only changing the arm of the bogie is required, not exactly the entire bogie itself?

Theodore Mingbuapha

Hi!

I'm new to this forum..just joined today!

I am hoping someone can really help me with my efforts to replace the Tomix 92277 Railstar 700 shinkansen old bogies with the power bogies.

Although I got the parts recommended JC0320, I can't figure out how to fit it to the old bogie..(this is my first venture into doing a mod and I hit a brick wall 😞.  )

I know that I trim off the old hook off from the bogie but how do I place the new one? Do I place the new hook over the two springs? Or is there some other part I need to get?

I tried looking at the pictures but really can't seem to figure it out. 

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks for your help in advance and so sorry for the trouble.

Theo

653517439_OldbogieandPowercoupler.thumb.jpg.fbeb848cdbd6257961041a7225750693.jpg