I'm sure a lot of the shock might be due to potentially heavy editing of shows, at least here in the US. I remember the variety of anime shows on Toonami on Cartoon Network in the early 2000s, which is where my interest in anime developed, and now know that at least some had content edited for American audiences.

I remember when madman editted Initial D for American audiences. They butchered it beyond anything I have seen before.

They changed the words, the music was replaced with rap/rnb. So alot of the jokes weren't funny, and the euro-beat music was gone. And through the editting process, alot of the car race sounds went missing.

Sorry if you do not know what Initial D is. Google it, it is a fun show to watch if into Japanese cars. After that Madman effort, I have made sure to only watch amine in it's japanese format with english subs.

Sorry, a little off topic from me, but your post reminded me of something about editting.

I just know that I like the art style enough that when I finally get into Japanese N scale, I want my layout to look like it's from an anime series. (How to pull that off, I have no idea; I imagine someone on this forum has attempted it before.) With that in mind, Rail Wars could be the perfect reference source for such a project.

Amine and model layouts are similar in certain ways in reference to creatativity to building a location/scene/event that you wanna see. With anime/manga a artist illistrates on paper. with a layout a modeller models on a baseboard. The end result is you have created something for yourself and others to view and be entertained with. Edited by katoftw

I'm sure a lot of the shock might be due to potentially heavy editing of shows, at least here in the US. I remember the variety of anime shows on Toonami on Cartoon Network in the early 2000s, which is where my interest in anime developed, and now know that at least some had content edited for American audiences. Although I do have an interest in anime, I really haven't done anything with it and admit that I still don't know too much about what all is out there. I just know that I like the art style enough that when I finally get into Japanese N scale, I want my layout to look like it's from an anime series. (How to pull that off, I have no idea; I imagine someone on this forum has attempted it before.) With that in mind, Rail Wars could be the perfect reference source for such a project.

I'm not sure there is much editing done to this show, it's a late night anime as so far as I know, so it is a pay-for-play airtime slot. While I have never head of this studio, the VA cast is pretty highly regarded.

BTW: According to my log, Rail Wars! is listed as my 420th anime series I have watched. Seeing I was the treasurer and the guy who wrote my college anime clubs by-laws back in 1992, I think it's fare [pun] to say, I'm far from being a n00b with anime. (I grew up w/ anime in the 70's)

• Like 1

Aaron, I figured you've been watching anime longer than katoftw has been alive!

Cheers

Jeff

Yeah Jeff, Aaron is about 10 years in front of me anime wise by the sounds of it.

Funny thing about your avatar Jeff. Astro Boy was first amine watched in the mid 80s.

Davo Dentetsu

I think those who thought this would have a lot of bearing on reality were probably disappointed in Galaxy Express 999 as well, by the sounds of it.  ;)

Yeah Jeff, Aaron is about 10 years in front of me anime wise by the sounds of it.

Funny thing about your avatar Jeff. Astro Boy was first amine watched in the mid 80s.

I always assumed katoftw was older than me.

I always assumed katoftw was older than me.

How did you figure out my age from that post? How old do you think I am? Edited by katoftw

kvp, you will find out why Sakurai visited Takayama later on it all clicks in when you see the full series. But Takayama's reaction when the 201 falls off the tracks is priceless.

I have already seen all 5 episodes of Rail Wars and funny enough I am interested in the trains the animators are using and the stations. the big breasted women are a distraction to the series, but add guns and there is going to be trouble XP

I've seen the reviews already from a few critics and some of them are only there to see the girls in the tight fit uniforms. The main story line hasn't fully came out on the Anime version. I should see if I can still buy the Manga version of Rail Wars.

The Next Station Is...

I should see if I can still buy the Manga version of Rail Wars.

I believe the second 'tankobon' volume of the manga is released this month. The light novel is up to volume 9; I'd love to see a translation... I have volumes 1, 4 and 5 and my translation skills are nowhere near good enough!

• Like 1

Well, that is the thing no, we always assume things about each other by the way they write, the words they use and the little information we gather through all our discussions. I always thought Aaron and I were more or less of the same age but, now, I am assuming he is probably more or less 10 years older than me.

It was meant as a bit of a joke as arron seemed to have watched anime forever, so I thought it funny he was assumed to be a anime noob!

Mental age is the name of the game, we are all striving to stay young there with our hobbies!

Cheers

Jeff

I was always of the thought that Vincent is early to mid-thirties. I always assumed we were the same age as well.

I am in my early to mid-thirties. Which means I grew up with anime through the mid/late 80s and 90s. Which going by your statement "grew up with anime in the 70s" makes it a bit impossible for us to be of the same age; except if you made a typo somewhere. I was born right after the 70s.

Grew up watching "Saint Seya", "Capitaine Tsubasa", "You! Atakka Yu", "Dragon Ball" as well as "Kimagure Orange Road", "City Hunter"... And watched many more afterwards, never cared for fan service.

Age wise, there is quite a bunch of us, "young ones" on the forum.

I just guess that near 60% of members are older than me, those who are younger than me would have similar or more knowledge of Anime that is out from the early 80's.

nothing going toward the plot

Why do you think there will be a secret plot in the first season? As far as i can see, we have a plot around the past of the main characters and the show is actually a sightseeing guide for rail related places in Japan. The old museum in the disused station was there even before ww2, but afaik it was redeveloped a few years ago after the museum moved out, so only the viaduct section remains. (with the Chuo line still going through above it; this was the original terminus for the line before it was extended to Tokyo station)

Why do you think there will be a secret plot in the first season? As far as i can see, we have a plot around the past of the main characters and the show is actually a sightseeing guide for rail related places in Japan. The old museum in the disused station was there even before ww2, but afaik it was redeveloped a few years ago after the museum moved out, so only the viaduct section remains. (with the Chuo line still going through above it; this was the original terminus for the line before it was extended to Tokyo station)

As so far as I know, it was only green-lit for 13 episodes (12 TV +1 OAV tacked on to the final DVD/BD). If there is going to be a plot, then it's going to be rushed at this point with only seven left. It was of general release of information from PassOne, and TBS that the series was going to focus pretty heavily on RJ as it did in the manga. Official scenario below:

The "dream railway paradise entertainment" story is set in a parallel world where Japan did not privatize its national railways. Naohito Takayama is an ordinary high school boy who dreams of a comfortable future working for the top-rated Japanese National Railways. He is assigned as a trainee in the Railways Security Force full of odd characters such as Sakurai, a troublemaker who hates men. On top of that, an extremist group called "RJ" plots to privatize the Japanese National Railways.

Edited by Shashinka
highlight

On top of that, an extremist group called "RJ" plots to privatize the Japanese National Railways.

At least we know the plot of the OVA...  :)

Just watched the 6th Episode...

and yes they're pushing the limits more on the girls...

Oh dear....

Point to note though, I like how the artist draw the cars too. They're very realistic! I can immediately know which car he is trying to portrait!

• Like 1