E259 kato vs. tomix?

Sinus

Which one do you prefer/recommend?

Additional question: is that any difference between Kato 10-821 and year later released Kato 10-847&10-848?

Which one do you prefer/recommend?

Additional question: is that any difference between Kato 10-821 and year later released Kato 10-847&10-848?

I don't have the Tomix model, so I can't comment on it.

The difference between the two Kato models, however, is that they have different numbers, so the two 6-car trains can be combined into a 6+6 set to match the way the prototype runs (paired trains depart from the airport, and then split to go to different remote stations). See Kato's Japanese product page, which mentions the numbering change (you can get to the product page from the English-language Japanese website home page, and navigate to Items in Stock under the Release tab at the top).

The 10-821 is also a six-car full train, whereas the 10-847/848 is sold as a 3-car basic set with a 3-car expansion, so that people who run short trains can buy the 3-car version at a lower-price, something Kato's been doing on all of its newer releases.

Finally, 10-821 comes with the usual green slip-cased storage book (for 6 cars).  I think you have to buy the expansion 10-848 to get the green case for the second train, but I bought mine a long time ago and don't remember which set the book came with.

• Like 1
Guest keio6000
I guess 10-821 will be harder to get than 10-847/848. I prefer the Kato version because it is DCC friendly.
Ok, based on your post and there being identically priced new examples of each on yahoo jp,i got the 10-821 :). I didnt expect to particularly like this train (i did kind of like the 253 series), but i had a few really nice rides on it in japan. Riding the major stations of the yamanote, alone or nearly so in nex style makes one feel special :) Plus, i collect most things that go to takao station, and this one does, albeit very, very marginally.

Thanks for the advice. I think 12000 is a fair price. Of course, if you want the comedy price, visit the nnnnhallstation, german reselles, and assorted ebay charlatans :) ultimately, i chose it based on your advice and becuause the case is guaranteed to have the proper name primted on (no sticker required). Plus. Less packaging to ship from japan.

In case somebody is interested here is a 3+3 set on yahoo jp for 11500

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g134361911

They have gone for cheaper (ive seen used sets for about 8000 and new for about 10000) but still this is a good price. If the e259 is onky kind of on your wish list, wait a few years as the prices may go down as they did with the e253.

Edited by keio6000

Sinus,

The hitch with yahoo.jp auctions is they require a japanese bank account and most folks selling wont ship out of the country. so you need to have a proxy do the bidding, receiving and shipping to you. there are services out there that do this for you. usually you put some money in escrow with them to bid on something then they buy it and it ships to them, then they ship to you. there is a thread on the basics and some of the services here

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/801-how-to-bid-in-japanese-auctions-for-dummies/

few other loose threads on the forums on the topic as well on some specifics. I think Nariichi was looking into doing some personal shopping like this as well, so you might contact him at modeltrainsplus.net.

the service usually adds about 30-40% to the win cost of an item with the fees and extra shipping. not horrible, but its a chunk so usually used for those hard to find items that you just wont get anywhere else or if you do its at 2-3x the going price in japan!

cheers

jeff

yeah usually is not a cheap way to go, but for the odder/rarer stuff it at times is the only way to go. many times better than the very high priced sites and ebay sellers.

might check with modeltrainsplus as he looks around at used stuff as well.

cheers

jeff

Guest keio6000

it's actually quite a cheap way to go if you amalgamate several shipments into one.  it'a also not '16000-17000 plus shipping.' 

i think its something like

700 domestic shipping

2000 agent fees

1000 share of overseas shipping when many things purchased together and shipped surface

no ebay seller comes close to this price.  and for 10-821 you'll be hard pressed to find it easily anywhere else anyway, even though by the standards of what you can find on yahoo it is not particularly rare.   the ability for the agency to hold many things for me for up to 6 months prior to shipment is also something i am happy to pay for, as i travel very often.