1/80 scale trains

jrcrunch

why are HO trains either 1/80 and 1/87? sorry im a new to this hobby and i find it a hassle to collect. it would be nice if they just make it all 1/80.

are 1/80 shinkasen trains available? tried looking but mostly are 1/87.

are 1/80 trains like yamanote line also available as completed models? 

Claude_Dreyfus

European and US models are 1/87, Japanese are 1/80 and UK are 1/76.

Why? UK is 1/76 for two reasons; a smaller loading gauge and Imperial measurements (00 gauge is 4mm to the foot). Motors were quite big, so the scale needed to be larger. Japan I believe is down to the 3' 6" track gauge, and trying to compensate.

Actually I believe 1/87 HO would be correct for shinkansen rolling stock, as the prototype is standard gauge. As Claude mentioned, 1/80 is a compromise to compensate for the wider gauge of HO (16mm), but it still doesn't solve the fact that the tracks are too wide apart for 3 foot 6 inch prototype.  Most of us HO modelers of Japanese prototypes just ignore the discrepancy, as the selection in 1/80 is so much greater, and so much more affordable. Anyway, most times you are looking at trains from the side, so the wide gauge isn't a big issue- I actually like 1/80 more than 1/87 as it seems to make the rolling stock a bit more finely outlined and airy (at least for passenger stock)- 1/87 stock to me looks a bit thick in the molding and wall thicknesses wider (more "scrunched up" like), though this may be a feature of certain manufacturers or the fact that most Japanese 1/80 HO scale plastic models are excellently molded.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1

1/80 scale train is very important to me since i just got a 1/80 godzilla kit :) want them to be in scale.

if i can find a series 0 shinkansen it would be great! since its my fave and the first bullet train i rode. 2nd choice would be shinkansen n700 and the yamanote line which i always use when im in tokyo. im really surprised on how expensive these toys are

1/80 scale train is very important to me since i just got a 1/80 godzilla kit :) want them to be in scale. if i can find a series 0 shinkansen it would be great!

What about the old Lima models of the series 0s? I can't recall if they were 1/87th. There's always the recent Zoukei-Mura series 0 models. Pricey, but very nice. You can find both on eBay...

Cheers,

Mark.

What about the old Lima models of the series 0s? I can't recall if they were 1/87th. There's always the recent Zoukei-Mura series 0 models. Pricey, but very nice. You can find both on eBay...

Cheers,

Mark.

they are 1/87 :( thanks mark

bikkuri bahn
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/658663/blog/24173380/

looking for a yonezawa 1/80 toys. do they offer the other cars too?

Those are diecast toys, probably sold just right after the privitisation of JNR in the late 80's.  Apparently they were picked up second hand about 10 years ago from a dealer in Okachimachi near Ueno, for 3000 yen.  Seems they are desirable for toy collectors, being they are made in Japan rather than the "flower of the universe" like most toys nowadays...