Sign in to follow this  
quinntopia

Layout Design Software - Reviews

Sir Madog

I am using SCARM and I am really happy with it. OK, there is a learning curve to it, especially to shaping flextrack and draw buildings, but once you have captured the gist of, it is a powerful tool - free of charge!

Here is one of my latest creations!

hWRezUc.jpg

The plan shows my layout constisting of mini-modules, similar to T-Trak, but simplified.

Edited by Sir Madog
  • Like 3

Vato

I am using SCARM and I am really happy with it. OK, there is a learning curve to it, especially to shaping flextrack and draw buildings, but once you have captured the gist of, it is a powerful tool - free of charge!

Here is one of my latest creations!

hWRezUc.jpg

The plan shows my layout constisting of mini-modules, similar to T-Trak, but simplified.

29 usd is free? :)

Gryphr

29 usd is free? :)

Looks like they realeased the commercial version just a few days ago, it used to be completely free before. I have Version 0.9.37 which I downloaded maybe a month ago and it doesn't have any limitations...

I think it should be fine if you can find an installer for the latest pre-release version as I doesn't seem like there were any major additions in the 1.0/release build according to the patch notes.

Edited by Gryphr

kvp

Looks like they realeased the commercial version just a few days ago, it used to be completely free before. I have Version 0.9.37 which I downloaded maybe a month ago and it doesn't have any limitations...

I think it should be fine if you can find an installer for the latest pre-release version as I doesn't seem like there were any major additions in the 1.0/release build according to the patch notes.

The problem with limited software is once they see that almost noone is willing to pay for it, they usually keep removing features from the free version to force users to pay for it, which usually keeps moving people away from using the software. Once nice feature of scarm was the extensibility of the parts library, so you could easily add whole fremo modules as track pieces and then play puzze with them.

Hayashi

I've been using SCARM free version for now. I looked at AnyRail, but liked SCARM better. SCARM also allows 100 pieces in their free trial. I'll pay for the full version shortly. For now, I'm laying out each track area separately (Shinkansen, Commuter, Freight, and related yards). When I run over the allotted 100 track pieces, I substitute a flex track section where i might have multiple sectional track. Allows me to keep fiddling with the design until I'm ready for the full version and will add the shinkansen, commuter, freight lines, and yards into one plan. 

The SCARM designer is also very good about adding new track pieces if you suggest them to him. I've sent him two emails with suggestions and he has added all of them in his next updates.

kvp
14 minutes ago, Hayashi said:

The SCARM designer is also very good about adding new track pieces if you suggest them to him. I've sent him two emails with suggestions and he has added all of them in his next updates.

I would gladly make a full up to date Tomix library, but only with a CC-BY-NC-SA license or similar, which would require the software to be made freely available. The current commercial license means i have to use an older variant that was limitation free and update the libraries myself to keep them usable or switch to a different and hopefully fully open source and free software. Currently my club's fremo modules are entered into a free, but not publicly available SCARM track library for fast and easy layout design and i use the old fully free to use version for above 100 pieces layout designs until i can find something that is usable.

cteno4

So I noticed that ventureforth was using the traxeditor.com online layout design system. I’m curious to hav it’s been working. Easier way to share designs and work cross platform with the club than xtrakcad, but problem if it goes belly up... does not seem to have import/export to any of the standard systems as back up or starting from existing plan.

anyone else using it?

jeff