kvp's layout ideas and attempts

kvp

Actually loading the program is pretty easy, you just use an application on your computer to download Kvp's program via USB. Rest is pretty plug and play!

Yeah shipping from Europe would probably be the same as parts costs! I'll start looking at getting some parts to play with.

Actually it's the software that is the valuable thing here! That's what kvp can sell with free shipping. Rest of the hardware is pretty easy to get on ebay, aliexpress, or your local maker/bot shop.

Jr500, you can make these large video building displays by just stripping down cheap (<$10) MP4 players. No programming needed jsut need to get the video files to put on them! The only downside is that when you power them up you have to hit a couple of switches to start it playing in a loop. The ardunio has the plus you could program the loop to start on power up.

Jeff

Mind the gap term comes to mind.  IF you do a curved platform on C140, then you'll need the platform edge 15-20mm away from the closest rail.  It isn't gonna look good.

Edited by katoftw

Forget the platforms - 20 meter stock on R140 just looks ugly . . . as the photo illustrates.

You don't need to go B-train, but I'd stick with trams and 2-axle Showa freight cars on R140.

I plan to use mostly 12 to 16 meter emus and trams but allowing for 20 meter stock to run through would be nice as the reversing loop fits a 4 car set. Platform distance on the photo is 16.5 mm from the track center.

On the other hand, the 2 axle car above has almost the same overhang on the outer side.

If you really want to run longer passenger stock on very sharp radius curves, I just thought of a platform solution that will fit in nicely with your technical interests.  I've experienced this in NYC subways, and suspect that similar situations exist worldwide.

Where station tracks need to include curves that create an excessive (dangerous) gap between the train doors and the platform, movable platform sections will slide out once the train is stopped.  Of course, this requires a consistent car length and that the train be stopped rather precisely, but this can be handled via sensors and an Arduino circuit in the model version.  You could have both a deceleration sensor as well as one for the hard stop.

Deployment (and retraction) could be manual or automated (perhaps by the hard stop sensor).  You also need to slide the platform back before the train tries to depart, and I'd like to think this is automated on the prototype to eliminate human error.  I think this would be quite impressive on a model, and you might even want a separate small layout to showcase it.  You could have audio announcing it, and warning passengers to stand clear.

While this would be possible and there are videos about it a few pages back, i don't think it would look too prototypical on a Showa era small town/country layout filled mostly with wooden buildings and rice fields.

• Like 1

R140 is for trams and interurbans. Maybe i should make a group photo of the intended rolling stock. 20 meter stock support is just a nice to have feature.

Mocking up my new ttrak station (called Chuo dori). This will be my first double length ttrak project built on two 620x210 mm modules. post-1969-0-42229500-1480869388.jpg

post-1969-0-42229500-1480869388_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Essentially one module will be a normal double length ttrak module with the hills on top, while the other end (the one near the camera on the photo above) will be an upturned ttrak module, with the 9 mm top plate on the bottom, the legs and side bracing hidden in the hillsides a 140 mm wide, 620 mm long, 9 mm thick top deck along the front. Strengthening wood pillars will be glued between the bottom and top plates. In theory this should be strong enough.

post-1969-0-10904600-1480927265_thumb.png

Cool result with the carrying system. I was a bit sceptical, but it's indeed a very feasible system. How are you going to close the sides?

P.s. I just realised you can just put the whole construction in a box for transport, so there is no need to close the sides off...

Edited by Kabutoni

Thanks. I thought about using wrapping plastic foil for the sides when carried in hand (also allows packing trains and other stuff between the module frames) while just packing them in a larger grab handle ikea paper box when moving a bunch of them. The foil could also make the package dust proof for longer storage. Optionally it's possible to add a soft cloth handle on the top plate for easy carrying on public transport.

Nice kvp! We have some here that do the same with n and t trak using the sky boards and nesting tow modules together for transport.

Wonder if corrugated cardboard on the open bits would work with some Velcro along the edges of the end pieces. Wouldn't seal up but at least give protection. Or fancy could be a thin chunk of plywood that would cover the whole open side to the edges. The two little wood block tabs in the center at the ends against the bolted wood block. The blocks could have a little dowel peg that stuck out a bit and fit into a hole in the bolt on end pieces, so it would firmly hold it in place closing the open side up. Means more bits, but if your modules are standard sizes then most could be the same, just make a jig to align the blocks.

Storage like this is such a headache,my but can make transport and storage so much better and safer. We are working on a new solution for the new club layout modules now and it's a challenge finding a magic bullet, lots of tradeoffs.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Just saw a tram intresection in Brno near the main station on Google maps and tried to draw it with SCARM using Tomix finetrack. Here is the result: (it's a crossover between two double track lines)

post-1969-0-98906300-1485448604.png

post-1969-0-98906300-1485448604_thumb.png

• Like 4

I tried to create a working signal from a chinese signal head kit and a greenmax imitation signal kit with the help of some wires and long circuit board connection pins serving as the mast. The signal has a 2 pin connector serving as the base for polarity based control. The leds are huge compared to the imitation head but come out to be roughly the same as a Kato automatic sigal.

post-1969-0-37358700-1485594582_thumb.jpg post-1969-0-43681400-1485594590_thumb.jpg post-1969-0-89133400-1485594598_thumb.jpg

ps: i'm sure it could be painted much better

• Like 9

Nice work KVP!  What method are you going to use to control the signals? 

Thanks. For control, it's possible to use a simple double pole, double throw switch (even Kato makes one), but i plan to add these signals to my ttrak station and make a nice japanese style control panel for it. Nothing big, just 2 turnouts and 4 signals, but having the signals change aspects based on the selected route would be nice. I'll try to build it with rotary switches and diode logic only, so without digital circuits. Also, imho i should finish the platform lights on the side platform first as it's too dark compared to the lighted island platform.

A small modular terminus layout with a loop. It's more of a british prototype with access track to 'the fiddler's yard' on top stub track, but imho it could be used for a small emu/dmu/push-pull train based layout of almost any prototype. 4 station tracks and a bit of freight track and some industry in the loop. (the tunnel could be made longer to add a bit more realism) The track system is Tomix Finetrack.

post-1969-0-91531200-1485879196.png

post-1969-0-91531200-1485879196_thumb.png

• Like 3

New t-trak work in progress photos:

post-1969-0-37009300-1488134160_thumb.jpg post-1969-0-18475600-1488134178_thumb.jpg post-1969-0-07583400-1488134190_thumb.jpg

(all buildings are just placed there for testing as the terrain needs more work)

• Like 4