SAL shipping

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Rod.H

Rod.H
  • Members
  • LocationMelboune, Australia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

The main one I was waiting on from Hobby Search, departed the day after yours. I received a bunch of parcels today with a mix of November  & December shipping dates and almost countries as a non-train one from the Seatle area turned up too. 

My suspicions on why one was pulled for a customs check was the packing paper inside had a faint odor of something, so the dog must've tripped on it.

#22 keiichi77

keiichi77
  • Members
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'm waiting on a package that was shipped on November 14. I think it must be on a slow boat going around Cape Horn. This is the longest wait I've had for a SAL package.

I am also waiting for a SAL package shipped mid November, according to tracking it is still sitting in Tokyo. This is also the longest I have had to wait foe a SAL shipment.

#23 bill937ca

bill937ca
  • Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

I am also waiting for a SAL package shipped mid November, according to tracking it is still sitting in Tokyo. This is also the longest I have had to wait foe a SAL shipment.

That's why I avoid SAL shipping now.  SAL only gets available space on planes and if the number of flights is down (as it was after 2010) and the volume is up it sits.  My experience is that it will sit again once it gets to Vancouver.  My experience has been 5-6 weeks without any peak loads and Winter holidays in Japan.

I did have one Registered Air Small Packet parcel from a Rakuten dealer arrive almost as fast as EMS when it was shipped in late November. It might be the way to go.

Edited by bill937ca, 06 January 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#24 Oz_Paul

Oz_Paul
  • Members
  • LocationCanberra

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

Agreed. I just received a registered air packet from ModelTrainPlus which arrived almost as quickly as an EMS. This is inspite of the Xmas rush.
  • bill937ca likes this

#25 Takahama Trainwatcher

Takahama Trainwatcher
  • Members
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:21 AM

Had one sent 23rd December small packet SAL, and got it in a week and a half.

#26 bill937ca

bill937ca
  • Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:50 AM

At 800g, per the Hobby Search chart.    http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/ems

1,290 Yen for Registered SAL

880 Yen for SAL,

2540 Yen for EMS 

2700 Yen for SAL Parcel

I think I will try Registered SAL for a while.

Edited by bill937ca, 09 January 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#27 tossedman

tossedman
  • Members
  • LocationCalgary, Canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Finally got my package that was shipped on Nov. 14 today. Got one on Monday that came via DHL. It was ordered on Thursday of last week. DHL was about ¥1000 cheaper than EMS as well. 

Cheers eh,

Todd

I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Vincent Van Gogh

Shinkansen0series.jpg

Ha!

#28 katoftw

katoftw
  • Members

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

David aka L1H sent me a Kiha 72 by SAl on the 31st of December.  Arrive today, the 13th of January.  Pretty good considering the normal time is 3 weeks and their is a major holiday period in between.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users