SAL Shipping

cteno4

I should also mention that Hobby Search can provide postage/delivery using "Tracked SAL". This isnt set up on the shopping cart system ans has to be manually requested. The example they gave me worked out to approx SAL + 25%, which was still only about half of what EMS cost. Might be worth trying at some point.

Unfortunately in Australia the tracking is not online like EMS.  You have to call Australia Post and wait on hold ... then if the package hasn't already arrived in Australia they can't tell you anything about it.

Cheers

The_Ghan

But isn't that part of the risk you take with SAL?  All I get is a small card inviting me to pick up a package from the P.O.  Part of the extra cost of EMS goes into the extra yards of delivering the package to your door and obtaining a signature.

Perhaps, and I'm guessing, some retailers like Bigman refuse to ship SAL because they have picked up on Jeff's point about dulling a customer's loyalty.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I get sal delivered personally to the door?

Anyway like Jeff same in aus any item missed via delivery driver is returned after 7 days to sender. Though aus post is lenient on this till they are full at the branch.  I have had items there for 15 days + and still were holding.

I think its safe to say sal has no different package loss % compared to ems, just longer shipping and no tracking/insurance by default.

Case closed

keitaro,

Probably due to the fact that you guys have a mail room.  My office is "suite number" / "building number".  We've got letterboxes at the ground floor lobby.  Anything that doesn't fit through the 1" slot gets the red card and delivered to the PO.

But yeah, case closed !  :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Edit: Smileys added

No, not case closed. Would you guys please stop trying to close this thread. I asked politely before not to and you are not giving me the courtesy of a little respect on this.

It's purpose was to bring in a wide range of experiences and also take it forward in case things change with time. you may have formed your opinion on the matter, cool, then just ignore the thread then if you have no more interest in it.

I'm still interested in folks experiences with sal and would love to hear them here.

Thanks

Jeff

I was just winding you up Jeff.  :grin  :grin  :grin

The difference in delivery between keitaro and me (our offices are less than 10km apart) highlights just how localised circumstances can affect the service.  I sure didn't know keitaro was getting SAL delivered to the door until yesterday.  This info might be helpful to others in deciding what service to use.

I don't mind having to pick-up from the PO, mind, but it is interesting the difference a mail room makes.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Edit: Smileys added

I was just winding you up Jeff.

Well, maybe that was a bad idea.

Nigel, if your comment was meant as harmless/playful, please use the forum's smileys. They are here to help you convey your tone and avoid this kind of stupid misunderstandings and conflicts.

If your purpose was really to provoke Jeff because you have a personal problem with him, then please note that this kind of attitude damaging to the forum's good mood won't be tolerated. If you don't like one of our members, his posts or ways to behave, you are more than welcome to keep out of the public boards. You can either raise your concerns with us if you think it's damaging to the forum or with the concerned person.

Now, I don't think you meant any harm but still, please people, try to keep this forum as welcoming and friendly as it used to be. :)

Vincent,

Nope!  No problem with Jeff at all.  In fact I quite like the guy as evidenced by this recent exchange in forum: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,6937.0.html

In forum and in pvt Jeff has given me plenty of good advice.  He is also one of only two people to offer to assist me with Ebay purchases.  A genuinely warm, unsolicited offer at that, too !!!  If Webskipper hadn't been lightening-fast then Jeff would have been my go-to man in the States.  

Nonetheless ... smileys added as suggested

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

I should point out hat packages are usually delivered to the door. However, if you are at work then they will leave a calling card and you need to collect the package from the depot. probably 90% of my deliveries end up being collected. I am "assuming" that this particular time either the card got lost, the missus used it for a shopping list, or the postman didn't leave one for whatever reason.

The fact this one has been "found" and I am getting it re-delivered for approx £5.50 is good. I consider SAL to be a reliable service, as shipping by EMS wouldn't stop a post office calling card getting lost. By using SAL, I have probably saved enough to get a free Kato Unitram.  :grin

Sorry to be testy, i was just more worried that the comment that this topic need not be continued and then that it was case closed would stop folks from posting on the thread. I worry at times that folks like myself, ketario, ghan, etc that post a lot can say things that might intimidate folks that have not yet posted or posted much to not comment if we say its all done. I really wanted this thread to be a good data collector for an issue thats talked about a lot, but rarely can you get all the facts when it is talked about. Its been very interesting to me to see some issues ive never had to deal with.

i should have just pmed ketaro and ghan about it instead of posting it here, my bad. sorry for the little black cloud i made.

no worries.

jeff

• Like 1

Cheers Jeff,

You've got to remember you're dealing with a couple of Aussies here - our skin is as thick as a buffalo's bum !!!  Unfortunately we sometimes forget the rest of the world might not get our humour ... perhaps our brains can be compared to a buffalo sometimes too !!!  :grin

Back on topic, I get various inexpensive electrical parts and Peco track sent from the UK.  I use their standard mail service which takes about 2 weeks ... everything always arrives.  The two or three trains I've bought from the UK have been sent express with tracking though.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Ghan, no worries my skin and brain can be pretty tough as well.

Problem sometimes with just typed words, not all humor comes through well or is understood as it would be in person. It's the monkey thing that we have left over from our evolution, but we rarely realize its going on, but gets soo lost in this form of communication.

Jeff

I know that some SAL from Japan usually arrives in Melbourne Vic, Australia between 2-3 weeks but sometimes can be pushed back to 5-6 weeks, if it is longer than 6 weeks ther would have to be questions raised but usually if you do a bit of scouting around you would find out that there is a shipping to post delay either by hoilday time or issues with shipment being sent out to Australia via another country after leaving Japan. 

funny thing the last three sal packages ive had come in the last month or so have all been 14 days exactly from the postmark date on them!

jeff

Hi guys!

Just recently ordered quite alot of stuff from Plaza and some from HS, and took the option of using SAL for both of them, in a bid to save quite a far bit on shipping. Here are the details:

Ordered from HS:

FirstSALHSorder.jpg

SAL costs 1680 yen for these, and EMS costs 3500 yen. Almost half!

Ordered from Plaza:

Item Title:Pedestrian Bridge 2 - Tomytec (045-2) 1/150 N scale Item Id:120854480495 - Price: US $13.80

Economy Int'l Shipping : US $83.10

Estimated delivery: Varies*

Seller ships within 1 business day(s)You can contact the seller for more information. 1 US $13.80

Item Title:Small Size Office Building B - Tomix 4043 (N scale) Item Id:120919217047 - Price: US $12.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $12.80

Item Title:UNITRACK Variation Set V1 - Kato 20-860 Item Id:120939435385 - Price: US $68.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $68.80

Item Title:Convenience Store (Seven-Eleven) - Tomix 4062 (1/150 N scale) Item Id:120942551368 - Price: US $19.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $19.80

Item Title:62mm (2 7/16") Snap-Track Conversion Track- Kato 20-045 Item Id:120943804351 - Price: US $2.30

Shipped with item above 2 US $4.60

Item Title:Japanese Delivery Truck and Van - Kato 23-508 (N scale) Item Id:120951860217 - Price: US $13.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $13.80

Item Title:N Scale Model People "Train and Bus crew" - Kato 24-260 Item Id:200394037040 - Price: US $10.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $10.80

Item Title:The House Collection Type C2 - Tomytec (Building Collection 011-2) 1/150 N scale Item Id:200766745380 - Price: US $17.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $17.80

Item Title:Large Building 5Th Avenue Building- Kato 23-437 N scale Item Id:200775603845 - Price: US $43.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $43.80

Item Title:Condominium - Tomix 4034 Light Brown (1/150 N scale) Item Id:200800042493 - Price: US $23.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $23.80

Item Title:5 story Housing Complex (Apartment) White - Aoshima 1/150 N scale Item Id:200811348194 - Price: US $29.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $29.80

Item Title:Traffic Signal B - Tomytec (Komono 016) 1/150 N scale Item Id:360410643229 - Price: US $9.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $9.80

Item Title:TCS Power Unit N-600 - Tomix 5507 (N scale) Item Id:360417402818 - Price: US $69.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $69.80

Item Title:The Bus Collection No.11 - Tomytec (Tomix) 1/150 N scale Item Id:360423188596 - Price: US $38.00

Shipped with item above 1 US $38.00

Item Title:Net Fence Green 1/150 N scale - Casco YP-302 Item Id:360476057623 - Price: US $4.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $4.80

Item Title:Bank - Tomytec (Building Collection 035) 1/150 N scale Item Id:360478831918 - Price: US $12.80

Item Title:Road Sign Set - Greenmax No.2140 (1/150 N scale) Item Id:360478890543 - Price: US $8.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $8.80

Item Title:Small Size Office Building C - Tomix 4044 (N scale) Item Id:360479312318 - Price: US $12.80

Item Title:Kinkakuji Golden Pavilion Temple - Fujimi (1/150 N scale) Item Id:360481332421 - Price: US $16.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $16.80

Item Title:LED Interior Lighting Kit (Ver. 2) 6 pcs. - Kato 11-212 (N scale) replace 11-210 Item Id:360482221163 - Price: US $39.80

Shipped with item above 1 US $39.80

Subtotal: US $473.00

Shipping & handling: US $83.10

Total: US $556.10

Not too cheap for SAL with Plaza indeed...

Now let's just hope ALL of them arrive safely! Fingers crossed!

Yeah plaza is not always so great on the combined shipping prices. The other problem is that is a large order like that is pretty heavy. Sal small packet has a 2kg limit the it goes to regular sal which is about the same price as ems at 2-3kg then gets a bit lower as it gets heavier. So it's best to try to do orders less than 2kg if you want the best sal small packet rates.

Looks like a really fun pile of stuff headed your way! Enjoy

Jeff

Hi Jeff!

Delight! The SAL parcel from Plaza made it's debut here today! 2 parcels came in from Plaza today and made me very happy! Rather fast, shipped 28th August and 5th September it's already here! Nice! Carton boxes are in good conditions too! Pelase check thread on 'what did your postman deliver today' for more pictures!

Should have 2 more boxes to come in from Plaza these few days. Will update more status soon!

I'm a happy man today!  :grin

SAL from HS arrived today, Tomytech trees, crushed, nearly as flat as a pancake. My clerk actually talked to me before handing me my package to explain what he thinks happened, stating he thinks the rather thing SAL package went through the DPS machine assigned for priority mail envelopes. (He said it looked like roller marks under pressure) Annoyed, as all hell, thnakfully, they were winter trees with only armatures and no plastic bag full of foliage, or would have been total loss.  ??? :BangHead:

Aaron,

Bummer dude, sorry to hear this. You have the worst postal luck of anyone I know! Never had that happen to any packages here. Wonder if your regional distribution facility is different from ours or could it be happening really locally?

I get a lot of small padded envelope packages here from china (very similiar to sal in shipping time and usually get a USPS barcode to boot) and the little parts are rarely ever crushed at all, always amazed they survive so well when I know they go through those roller machines, but are flat and flexible enough to not be mangled I expect.

Cheers,

Jeff

i recently got all 5 sal packages i mailed myself from jpn when i was there 2 weeks back.

pretty quick to deliver no issues boxes looked like how i sent them.

I also get memory cards and stuff in padded envelopes from china or hongkong never had issue either.

You sure your clerk didn't ride his scooter over it!