SAL shipping

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 byrdvic

byrdvic
  • New Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hello,

I've been using SAL for about a month and I have some questions about it. I ordered a item on Nov. 12 and it arrived today, on Dec. 5. But the items that I ordered on Nov. 4 and Nov. 7 didn't arrive yet. Is this usual? or are my items missing? Also, since SAL doesn't have a tracking number, how should I ask the USPS if they have my packages? If any of you have similar happenings as me, please help.

Thank you

Edited by byrdvic, 05 December 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#2 westfalen

westfalen
  • Members
  • LocationIpswich, QLD, Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Not that unusual for packages to arrive in a different order to that in which they were sent.  I'd give it a few days, I've never lost any of the countless packages I've had from Japan.

#3 macdon

macdon
  • Members
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Yup, it happens. I had a 2nd HS order arrived already while the first one hasnt arrived yet. They were ordered a week apart.

Mardon 

#4 bill937ca

bill937ca
  • Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

SAL only gets available space on planes.  This can cause delays at busy times. One Japanese dealer lists SAL as 14 to 56 days delivery time.

#5 byrdvic

byrdvic
  • New Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thank you ^.^~ I feel much better and I think I'll give it another week to come!! 

#6 3railgreg

3railgreg
  • Members
  • LocationVermont USA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

Plaza Japan off ebay just sent item to me SAL. Shipped Nov 20 arrived Dec 5, so that's about 14 days. I can't complain about that at all. They have always been prompt. Bought an item recently from Pennsylvania and it took a week to get to Vermont, and that was 1st class. Go figure... :icon_scratch:  

#7 cteno4

cteno4
  • Moderators
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Over a decade of hundreds of sal packages here to the dc area it's been a range of 1-4 weeks, but I'd say 95% were within a couple of days of 2 weeks. Jeff
Japan Rail Modelers of Washington DC
http://www.japanrailmodelers.org

#8 Matteo_IT

Matteo_IT
  • Members
  • LocationTurin (Italy)

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:35 AM

I use EMS because usually it takes 10-15 days... (2-3 days from Japan to Italy... then 5-10 days for custom reasons, then 2-3 days for delivery).

Unlikely in Italy our mail system is a snail... When you claim the answer is "it's aproblem of custom"... No good!

I'm waiting for an EMS shipped last mon. and arrived in Italy wed. (3 days later) detected from the Japan post web site... in our web site at today the parcel is "the item you searched fot is not registered or is wrong number"...

Edited by Matteo_IT, 07 December 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#9 Blevins18

Blevins18
  • Members
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

I ordered some items from HS and they shipped on the 4th, and they're out for delivery today on the 7th, but I used EMS this time. 

#10 Darklighter

Darklighter
  • Members
  • LocationMuenster, Germany

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

According to AmiAmi, REGISTERED SAL Small Packet will become unavailable to some European countries:

Dear Customers,
Thank you for shopping at AmiAmi.
As the result of a recent international meeting of the Universal Postal Union, REGISTERED SAL Small Packet will unfortunately become unavailable to the following destination countries:
Australia / Denmark / Finland / Germany / Greenland / Hungary / Norway / Poland
All other shipping methods we currently offer such as EMS, Air Small Packet, Unregistered SAL Small Packet, and SAL Parcel will not be affected and will continue to be available.
The new postal regulation becomes effective on January 1, 2014,

#11 katoftw

katoftw
  • Members

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

didn't even know it was available in australia.

#12 cteno4

cteno4
  • Moderators
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

a lot of vendors do not do registered sal, its a bit of paperwork and an extra cost they just dont want to spend time on. if you want tracking they usually just push you to ems. it does bring 6000 yen insurance with it (along with tracking) for the 410yen cost.

to the US sal has never let me down over hundreds of packages in like 15 years, so ive never really cared about registering it or even doing ems much as im very, very well self insured now that a loss of a package is no issue if it were to happen. If you are willing to put the risk up front on the first 5-10 packages usually by then you are self insured for a regular $50-150 package to be lost down the road. then just builds quickly not doing registered or ems. of course you have to have patience for your trains to wait 2 weeks... ;-p

i just noticed something on sal that the shipper can get bulk discounts on sal shipping, so i wonder if some of the odd little delays that happen with it might be the shop or shipping agent holding onto packages until they have enough to get the 10 or 20% discount?

actually in the last decade i have only lost one package at all in the mail and that was w/in the us, bunch of japanese magazines where the package exploded along the way. it was reported and months later the bit of package with the label got to me, but alas in that sort of situation the magazines were probably shredded on a conveyer somewhere and toast.

cheers

jeff

#13 nartak

nartak
  • Members
  • LocationKoshigaya, Japan

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

I have just checked about registered SAL thing by calling Japan Post.

They told me that there will be no change in countries where registered SAL is available even after 2014.

It is quite strange if they make such a big change, they should make or post announcement through Japan Post's web or local post office but I have never seen any kind of it so far....

#14 nartak

nartak
  • Members
  • LocationKoshigaya, Japan

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

The announcement was issued very before the go-live date.  It is really surprising.

Now the news release is up at Japan Post after I called Japan Post for this issue.

http://www.post.japa...13/1218_01.html (sorry, it is in Japanese)

Registered SAL to above countries will no longer available.

I am sorry for the confusion.

#15 JR 500系

JR 500系

Part time Toei Bus Driver

• Members
  • LocationSillypore

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

must be the festive period... the parcels are taking longer than usual. usually SAL reaches me within 2 weeks, it is now the 3rd week for this ~ Glad at least there is a tracking for this option...

Attached File  SAL status.jpg   107.32KB   4 downloads

7090_0.gif

#16 bill937ca

bill937ca
  • Members
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

It takes longer and things are about to shut down for the Winter holiday.  

Hobby Search orders must be paid by 6am December 26th.  Then HS is closed December 30-January 4th.  Order processing resumes on January 5, 2017.

http://www.1999.co.jp/info2017_e.html

#17 Rod.H

Rod.H
  • Members
  • LocationMelboune, Australia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:47 AM

A few of my recent Hobby Search shipments made an appearance in Sydney yesterday or today, one went for a customs examination too. Most of them were sent out in November, I'd other items from them sent to me around the same time beat it here.  

#18 cteno4

cteno4
  • Moderators
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

Bummer, that's a long time. Sal got very variable here for a while but seems to have settled down to just around 2-2.5 weeks to DC here. But I just oand out from our postman that our zip code here is the second highest package per address in the nation! Don't know if that would speed delivery or make it worse though...

Customs I'm sure plays a roll in the speed. Ive never had a package opened by Costoms here but a few EMS packages that seemed to be taking their time tracking showed the extra time was the package sitting in Costoms here in the us.

Postal services are kind of the twilight zone. Luckily overall I have great luck with stuff from all over the world here.

Glad the packages showed up!

Jeff

#19 Rod.H

Rod.H
  • Members
  • LocationMelboune, Australia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

According to the Japan Post tracking page they're supposed to be delivered today, however unlike previous times the Australia Post tracking page has no record of them. So I'm just presuming that they made it to the local processing centre & then to the depot for end delivery with no issues. As some of our parcel thieves decided following the delivery vehicle, so they could hijack it, was too much effort & instead raid the depot.

#20 tossedman

tossedman
  • Members
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

I'm waiting on a package that was shipped on November 14. I think it must be on a slow boat going around Cape Horn. This is the longest wait I've had for a SAL package.

I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Vincent Van Gogh

Shinkansen0series.jpg

Ha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users