Arumo GE Boxcab

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

Some time ago I purchased this critter here http://homepage3.nifty.com/arumo/r0073.htm. Now time has come to assemble it... however, while looking at the instructions and the homepage pictures, I noticed that a few of the sample locomotives have rivet detail. The frets for the body shell have no rivets, but the inside of the shell has a series of etched shallow holes following a rivet line, leading to the understanding that the rivet detail must be punched out before the shell is formed into shape. I'm attaching part of the instruction sheet for the loco, could anyone who has a knowledge of Japanese please read it and see if it says how is one supposed to do it and what tool(s) are needed?

Cheers NB

post-283-0-16564600-1385775503_thumb.jpg

I'm not expert, but judging by picture #1, you hammer with a little punch from the inside to make the outside look like a rivet.  Don't punch all the way through.

G'day Nick,

That's a common method for putting rivet detail on etched models - as katoftw notes, you use a small punch to press out the half-etched holes from the inside. You also need either a resilient surface to punch against, such as a self-healing cutting mat, or a little anvil with a rivet-shaped depression formed in it. It's not the easiest method to master - I learnt that the hard way. You could consider using Archer or Micromark rivet decals as an alternative.

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark. Went to the LHS, bought a couple of punches, unfortunately the didn't work as they were too big and their tips didn't go into the holes. However I found a solution in the form of a spare compass point. Didn't even have to use a hammer, just pushing hard the tip into a hole created the rivet head. At some places the metal was harder and I had to go back and apply more force while at others the tip went through the metal and I had to lightly press the rivet back inside the hole. In any case the job is finished and my fingers are on fire from it...

Cheers NB