What's the difference in motors?

Keikyu

I will be looking for a motor to suit a Hankyu 2800 I have ordered. Looking at the Japanese wiki page for the train, it says the total length is 19,000 mm.

Alright, so I assume that translates to it needing a 19m motor, right? Greenmax, as far as I can see, doesn't make those separately or they aren't the right bogies for the train. I don't think I can replace the bogies for Hankyu ones.

So how big of a difference would 18m be to 19m? 18m seem more ubiquitous than 19m and I could find a close enough match, but will it fit properly?

Tomytec has a motor specifically for Hankyu trains, complete with the right bogies. But how do Tomytec motors perform compared to the motors of Greenmax, Kato, Tomix and Microace?

Keikyu,

the tomytec motors are very decent motors and affordable. I have not used them to power over a 4 car train (longest tomytec train i have powered with an 18m mech) and it runs very well. pretty quiet. it is a bit faster of a runner, starting out at lower voltages usually, but will run at nice scale speeds. they seem pretty much on par with the few 4 car green max trains i have.

as for how tomytec labels their chassis rich kerr could probably help with that if he chimes in here but i think youll want the one labeled 19m as its 114mm long and scale 19m would be 127mm so seems right to fit into the 19m body.

http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/ChassisDim.htm

cheers

jeff

Yeah, there is a Tomytec motor that is specifically for the Hankyu trains Tomytec has made, I was going to get it earlier actually.

But I have to assume Tomytec motors wouldn't quite fit into Greenmax bodies, right? I don't really want to have to glue or anything because something might go wrong with the motor later then I am stuck with it.

Good topic.

Coincidentally, I bookmarked Jeff's link (trainweb) yesterday while researching on power units that I could possibly retrofit in a Tomix 485 series train.

Mardon

Keikyu,

I expect it should fit pretty easily. You may need to glue some little blocks inside the shell to hold the mech at the right depth. Dont want to glue the mech into the shell as might need to pull it at some point.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1