Photo gear, EU or JP

Hello all,

As mentioned elsewhere, my trip to Japan is on. One of the things I want to purchase is a new camera - a semi-professional fixed lens Nikon or Canon. The question is, should I buy it in Europe (I'll be passing through London on the way to JP) or should I get it in Akihabara on arrival in JP?

Cheers NB

You'll have to compare model availability, retail prices for the model you're interested in, the exchange rate, and the amount of tax that can be refunded (5% in Japan vs. whatever the VAT is in the UK). 

the_weird_one

Typically on things like lenses and the like there is 0 cost difference between the UK and Japan when buying new.

Japan on the other hand has a better selection of second hand gear than anywhere I've found over here, but things like lenses don't loose money anyway so really your best bet is to take a look at http://www.jessops.co.uk/ for UK highstreet prices and http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/category/tab/19055_500000000000000301/index.html to get a rough idea as to prices in Akiba.

North America and Hong Kong are the cheapest places I've found to buy camera gear.

• Like 2
Typically on things like lenses and the like there is 0 cost difference between the UK and Japan when buying new.

Japan on the other hand has a better selection of second hand gear than anywhere I've found over here, but things like lenses don't loose money anyway so really your best bet is to take a look at http://www.jessops.co.uk/ for UK highstreet prices and http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/category/tab/19055_500000000000000301/index.html to get a rough idea as to prices in Akiba.

North America and Hong Kong are the cheapest places I've found to buy camera gear.

Thanks,

I know that photographic equipment might be cheaper in the US or HK, but I will not be going that way, alas. However, looking at Jessops I found cameras which might suit my bill, at prices which both me and my mother found acceptable.

Cheers NB

the_weird_one

No worries, are you actually going to get time to wonder around London?/be in the UK long enough to get something posted to a hotel?

No worries, are you actually going to get time to wonder around London?/be in the UK long enough to get something posted to a hotel?

I will have 5 days in London. Rather than staying in a hotel I think that we will rent a small holiday flat instead (saves on restaurants). Going round looking for cameras is part of the plans.

Cheers NB

the_weird_one

High street isn't usually a good place to try though you could always try the London Camera Exchange they're in the Strand in London nice small shop with knowledgeable staff, unlike Jessops that have yes men sales people.

• Like 1
High street isn't usually a good place to try though you could always try the London Camera Exchange they're in the Strand in London nice small shop with knowledgeable staff, unlike Jessops that have yes men sales people.

Mate are you lucky or what? :)  I went into their page and found what looked like an even better deal...

Cheers NB

the_weird_one

Generally I shop at WEX or Camera World but WEX isn't a trip you can make in the time your here, and I actually have no idea where the Camera World store is

Generally I shop at WEX or Camera World but WEX isn't a trip you can make in the time your here, and I actually have no idea where the Camera World store is

Camera World is at 14 Wells St., off Oxford St. Couldn't be easier to reach... as for WEX, Norwich is a (long) day out from London (out of bed at 6am...), but the store is in the wrong end of town from the railway station...

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
the_weird_one

I tend to shop online and at the trade show which is the first weekend in March so have a good relationship with both of those suppliers. Camera World may be cheaper than LCE as they have a higher stock turn over, but can recommend Camera World and LCE as good dealers.

• Like 1