Kato Shinkansen 500 Motor

katoftw

My first Kato Shinkansen arrived yesterday.  So I have nothing to compare to except a few USA ES44AC modern diesels.

The shinkansen motor when powered off brakes the train within 2-3cm.  The other diesels take the length of the engine to stop.

The shinkansen is very difficult to push along the tracks unpowered.  The diesels no problem.

The shinkansen top speed is massively higher than the others.

I just put it down to difference in shinkansem motors compared to other motors.  But just thought I'd ask incase I do have an issue.

Thanks.

It`s fine.

I think the newer has a fly wheel but the older didn`t or was that tomix or both can`t remember.

Either way no problem it also comes down to gearing as well on stop distances. not just a flywheel.

Martijn Meerts

Can be a lot of factors really.. Like Keitaro said, the gearing tends to be different on shinkansen (or MU's in general) compared to locomotives. The ES44AC likely also has much bigger flywheels than the shinkansen.

Pretty much all my MU's have a very short braking distance, whereas many of the bigger locomotives have a long braking distance. It also depends on the model itself. For example, iconic locomotives like Kato's GG1, or imperial locomotives like Kato's EF58-61 seem to be given a little more attention, and those often run smoother and have a longer braking distance.

Martijn Meerts

All MU motor cars tend to be fairly lights as well compared to most locomotives yes, that's definitely another factor.

I have several KATO Shinkansens....Katoftw, your 500's performance is pretty typical for such a unit.

Relax and enjoy the awesomeness of a bullet train on your layout!