E7 delivered to depot in Rifu-cho (Sendai area)

bikkuri bahn

I'm not that sold on the looks either (being more of a J.N.R till mid 90's Shinkansen fan, that shouldn't surprise me at all), though she does look kind of good in profile similar to the N700系.

For me the rounded 500系 style cab windows don't really mesh with the square cross section, ...

Hello Mr 200系

I agree with you 100%.

When I watch the video at 15s-17s mark I have the problem of round peg in square hole look about the cab.  I very much dislike it.  I am also not a fan of the colour combination.  The copper does not go with the blue.  It is not even complementary.  It is one thing to use contrasting colours, but these colours really clash.

The model will never make it to my collection.

• Like 1

I have a diferent meaning, I realy like the colour, with those gold and blue strip, and the blue nose, it is realy a beatiful train.

See you.

Nicolas

• Like 2
I wonder when will JR East move this trainset to start running tests on the line between Tokyo and Nagano?

Rumor on 2ch has the trainset doing running tests on the Nagano Shinkansen next month. Reliably there can be movement anytime from Dec. through March, given that JR-E has plans to use the trainset(s) on Nagano Shinkansen services starting with the spring 2014 timetable revision at the end of March.

Thanks for the videos from the press tour!  :)

What I find interesting about the FNN report is that the restroom of (I think) the Gran Class car has a full washing toilet from TOTO installed.

Speaking of which, line testing of the first Shinkansen trainsets on the Hokuriku Shinkansen line beyond Nagano starts December 2, 2013 according to this Mainichi Shinbun article:

http://mainichi.jp/feature/news/20131130mog00m040030000c.html

The first trainset to test the line is the E926 East-i trainset, followed by a real E2 trainset on December 8, 2013.

Speaking of which, line testing of the first Shinkansen trainsets on the Hokuriku Shinkansen line beyond Nagano starts December 2, 2013 according to this Mainichi Shinbun article:

http://mainichi.jp/feature/news/20131130mog00m040030000c.html

The first trainset to test the line is the E926 East-i trainset, followed by a real E2 trainset on December 8, 2013.

Just saw it on the 7 am news. They showed the E926  leaving Nagano and some interior shots of the E7.

Just saw it on the 7 am news. They showed the E926  leaving Nagano and some interior shots of the E7.

How did you manage to see the E926 test trainset leave Nagano Station?

More and more footage is showing up almost every day, seems like they are really getting her up to speed.

As well as a nice aerial overview of the Hokuriku Shinkansen stations:

• Like 3

Some run-by scenes, including a few at speed.  The first scene at Furukawa, you can hear the distinctive sound of the traction motors as the trainset accelerates.  Me likey :)

Edited by bikkuri bahn

I'm a little surprised they got the E7 trainset up to Nagano, considering from Takasaki to Karuizawa has the highest grades of any Shinkansen line. I can't wait to see the trainset do longer-distance full-speed runs very soon at 260 km/h. 

Which reminds me, didn't they just deliver E7 trainset F2 just recently to the same port near the JR East Sendai depot?

Personally I find it unattractive.  I don't think it will be popular.

Well, JR East and West will be hoping it is popular among revenue generating passengers, the tastes of railfans notwithstanding.

Bikkuri, have you read anything about why it sounds like that?  I'm guessing there are some other sounds in there, the gears, some electrical components, etc.  In some of those shots, it kind of screams.  Not quite as appealing as the Tokyu 8000 series, though :grin

Ochanomizu, I wonder if they went with a more conventional design for technical and cost reasons.  The nose on the E5 and E6 could be more difficult (expensive) to build, and it looks like it reduces the number of seats in the end cars.  Didn't JR West dislike the 500 series because the end cars held fewer passengers?  Also, I think the doors were not in the same location as the 700 series.

Personally I find it unattractive.  I don't think it will be popular.

I'm with Ochanomizu san here... I also personally don't find it very attractive, unlike the E5 and E6 which immediately caught my eye.. For E7, it's like, well, normal should i say? The blue stripe certainly doesn't scream JR East and looks more like a JR West train. Also, it bears much resemblance to E6 front with a much shorter nose...Being 12-car, i would guess there would not be coupling involved? 

The blue stripe certainly doesn't scream JR East and looks more like a JR West train.

Because the W7 series will be the same train, so they will be nearly identical. This is a jointly developed train for both companies. Can someone comfirm that the E7/W7 sets are based on the same technology as the E2? What are the differences besides the better suspension, higher top speed and better brakes?

I'm with Ochanomizu san here... I also personally don't find it very attractive, unlike the E5 and E6 which immediately caught my eye.. For E7, it's like, well, normal should i say? The blue stripe certainly doesn't scream JR East and looks more like a JR West train. Also, it bears much resemblance to E6 front with a much shorter nose...Being 12-car, i would guess there would not be coupling involved? 

Even wikipedia simply explains what they wanted to do with the design of this train. To quote: "Based on the earlier E2 series trains, the E7 and W7 series trains are designed with a "Japanese" theme inside and out, combining futuristic styling with traditional design elements overseen by industrial designer Ken Okuyama together with Kawasaki Heavy Industries.[3] Externally, the roof is finished in a "sky blue" colour, and the bodysides are "ivory white" with "copper" and "sky blue" lining."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W7_Series_Shinkansen#Design

Edited by Densha