Tunneling work on Seibu Shinjuku Line to begin in November

railsquid

According to this PDF construction work to place the Seibu Shinjuku Line between Nogata and Nagai Stations will begin in November 2013. Araiyakushimae and Numabukuro Stations will become tunnel stations, and the project seems to be scheduled to take around 10 years.

It's a bit of a mystery to me where they'll find the space to carry out this kind of construction work as the line is hemmed in on both sides by buildings for much of its length. I have noticed that a couple of largish plots of land close (but not immediately adjacent to) the affected stretch of line have been cleared recently, I wonder if those will be used for construction purposes.

• Like 1
On 10/27/2013 at 11:08 AM, railsquid said:

It's a bit of a mystery to me where they'll find the space to carry out this kind of construction work as the line is hemmed in on both sides by buildings for much of its length. I have noticed that a couple of largish plots of land close (but not immediately adjacent to) the affected stretch of line have been cleared recently, I wonder if those will be used for construction purposes.

Five years on, "yes" is the answer, as well as some more plots they've acquired since. Current state of affairs visible in this video from ca. 52:33

• Like 1