ModelTrainPlus

nartak

4 hours ago, Takahama Trainwatcher said:

Be aware that Japan is moving into Golden Week, so responses and shipments may be delayed.

Thanks @Takahama Trainwatcher

Indeed Golden Week is upon us.

Today (Saturday 29th) is a public holiday along with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of next week. Monday and Tuesday are normal work/school days but small independents may decide to be closed. Many small hobby shops in my area are closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays anyway. 

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

@Bob Martin - your note caught my intention.  I have been idly thinking about trying to shop in person at MTP on my upcoming trip.  Not sure if I can manage it since most of my time in the Tokyo area will be over weekends but maybe I can work it out.  Do you have any suggestions as to the best way to get to the shop?  Haven't really started looking at it but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

PS  Google Maps seems to show it near the Nishi-Kawaguchi station but the Directions info seems a bit confusing to me.

Edited by Tony Galiani
addtional information

The shop is about 30 minute train from Tokyo station... BUT the store keeps irregular hours.  I’ve gone there many times but several occasions it’s been closed, even though it’s been within the posted days/hours of operation.  Unless they have something you want or previously ordered for pickup, it’s probably not worth the trip.  It’s not well setup for in-person shopping. Stuff is just piled up EVERYWHERE.

Somewhat inevitable for a one-man shop that does a lot of business and also has a stall at shows - or at least used to. The one time I tried visiting it was to find a sign on the door saying that he was running a stall at a model railway exhibition so would not be opening the shop that day.

To be honest I don't see a reason to actually go to the shop unless you live in the area and it's your local shop. Especially as there is nothing else to visit for quite some distance in every direction.

Narrichi-San is a very nice chap and interesting to meet. Not been to his shop but got to meet him here in DC when he came through on a trip when he was setting up his export business. I think he was planning on the shop being more of a shop and possible layout to get folks into the shop, but I then covid may have upset that plan some. I don’t know if covid has caused folks to shop in person less now in japan or not for hobby stuff. Also he is a one man shop so have to wear a lot of hats and hard to do all that, the export biz, and have a tidy in person shop. He also has kids so I’m sure that can disrupt business hours at a one man shop as well.

it is fun to go back to a good train store now and then, just good feelings and many fond childhood memories of noses pressed up against the glass on those rotating shelf display cabinets looking for the next train cad buy! We use to get a few club members together every few months here in dc and take he hour drive over to baltimore to visit MB Kliens store and have lunch. Even though only a few Japanese trains there, there was a full inventory of Unitrak and just fun to be around a huge gob of model trains. But sadly they closed the storefront a couple of years back, but rumor it may reopen!

jeff

• Like 1

From Model Train Plus Facebook:

Please note new shipping rate will be effective from Oct. 1. Japan Post's ePacket service will be obsolete and Registered AIR service will be replacing with higher rate. I will be applying new rate for online shop. EMS rate will not be changed for this time being. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

https://www.facebook.com/modeltrainplus

• Like 2

Nariichi has announced on Facebook that he is closing his retail store. Online store will continue.

I am sorry for the last minute updated.

Due to the business situation change, I will closing retail shop at Nishi-Kawaguchi. Thank you for your visit during the time.

No change at online shop. You can continue shopping as same.

https://www.facebook.com/modeltrainplus

18 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Bummer, sad to see, but physical retail has gotten hard.

It might also be related to the shop's location, which isn't exactly convenient, and the irregular opening hours (the one and only time I tried to get there, I omitted to check beforehand and it was closed). It wouldn't surprise me if online and exhibition presence (which is where I have actually met Nariichi) are better for his business model.

29 minutes ago, Bob Martin said:

If you’ve ever been inside his shop, you’d know why it’s closing.  Organized chaos would be a kind description. 

Actually most of the best hobby shops I’ve been in have been like that.

jeff

• Like 3
Yavianice
On 12/27/2023 at 5:36 AM, cteno4 said:

Actually most of the best hobby shops I’ve been in have been like that.

I would even argue that his store is actually neat and tidy compared to some I've been to...

Did anyone hear from Nariichi? I was trying to place a pre-order with him on the 6th, but haven't heard from him.