ModelTrainPlus

nartak

Too bad I didn't know of it earlier... nor is my weekend free... would have loved to come to Osaka for a day just for this... (not sure its economical in the first place though...)

Holy cow. I am like a kid in a candy store right now. Just discovered this website from the forums I am FLOORED! Amazing prices and an AMAZING selection. I just placed my first order with the website and I am so excited! An assorted collection of scenery, buses, and trains that I cannot wait to get in the mail.

Thank you so much for your amazing service, Nariichi-san. Assuming everything goes well with this order (which I'm confident it will based off of all this feedback) you have a dedicated customer! I wish I knew of the existence of this when I was in Japan last May... I would have totally visited. Next time!

Man, this store and Loco1hobby really don't want me to have money in my wallet, do they? At least tax season is coming up... ;) 

• Like 4

I was you over a year ago and still am somewhat today but a tiny bit more selective. I buy almost strictly from MTP and Loco1 because of the personal customer service provided by Nariichi and David.

• Like 3

Anyone know how long Modeltrainsplus usually takes to ship out an order? Sadly I haven't gotten a notification that my order has shipped yet and I ordered last Saturday night :(

I did opt for the cheapest shipping, though (SAL)... Do you think since that doesn't have tracking that I don't get a notification that it shipped? Still satisfied with the site, I just hope my package gets shipped out soon! 

As per his website, his facebook account and also the info he has provided on this website.  He was at a train trade show of some description last weekend in Osaka.  So I'd expect some delays.

Also check your junk/spam folder in your emails.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

I haven't received a reply to the inquiry I sent a few days ago yet either. I guess something came in-between that caused some delays.

Edited by Densha
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

I wasn't happy with the length of time it took to ship my reservation / order in December.

When exactly did you order?

Sometimes life happens.  He was just on facebook moments ago.  So you cannot be too far away from getting answers.

Edited by katoftw

I've been testing Transferwise bank transfers to Japan, and everything seems to be working. Is it an idea to accept Transferwise transfers (with a business account for Modeltrainplus) for purchases from abroad? It's a LOT cheaper than Paypal because of the poor exchange rates Paypal has. And it will probably also save Modeltrainplus money on those pesky Paypal fees...

Do you know that you can change PayPal's settings, so you can pay your bank's exchange rates instead of PayPal's exchange rate, don't you?

Takahama Trainwatcher
9 hours ago, tt0880 said:

Anyone know how long Modeltrainsplus usually takes to ship out an order? Sadly I haven't gotten a notification that my order has shipped yet and I ordered last Saturday night :(

I did opt for the cheapest shipping, though (SAL)... Do you think since that doesn't have tracking that I don't get a notification that it shipped? Still satisfied with the site, I just hope my package gets shipped out soon! 

My E001 can from MTP via SAL. It was pretty much the usual shipping time, so I think it was probably posted within a couple of days of payment. There was no email to indicate it had shipped.

A previous order had the email for shipping sent several days after it was sent (Nariichi-san had been particularly busy, he had indicated, so I think he prioritised sending the parcels over sending the emails).

22 minutes ago, IST said:

Do you know that you can change PayPal's settings, so you can pay your bank's exchange rates instead of PayPal's exchange rate, don't you?

As far as I know this is only possible if one has a credit card and linked it up with paypal. My paypal is directly linked up with my bank account instead.

While I do have a creditcard, the credit I get is very limited. Though at the rate I purchase stuff from Japan and use Paypal's conversion rate I might as well get one with a higher limit... -.-

Edited by Yavianice
7 hours ago, TheNicofabi said:

When exactly did you order?

It was a pre-order I waited months for.

December 21 I received the notice my reserved item was in stock and replied with my shipping choice immediately.

December 25 I received the invoice and paid it immediately on December 25.

December 28 it shipped.

3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

As far as I know this is only possible if one has a credit card and linked it up with paypal. My paypal is directly linked up with my bank account instead.

While I do have a creditcard, the credit I get is very limited. Though at the rate I purchase stuff from Japan and use Paypal's conversion rate I might as well get one with a higher limit... -.-

I did not know that. I have a debit card (usable only for internet shopping) attached to my PayPal account and it works with my bank's exchange rates.

Paypal’s Exchange/fee adds about 2-3% here in the states over the usual bank/credit card rate. But you have to be careful as many credit cards charge a 2-3% fee for forigen exchange fee. Check with your credit card company before you do this to see if they charge any forigen exchange fees. I know my capital one card does not so I use that for overseas purchases. amazon.jp seems to add about the same amount to orders placed in dollars as paypal does. I always choose the pay in what ever currency the seller wants it in option thru paypal and then pay that with the cc to avoid the 2-3%.

Usually you dont even need to have a paypal account to use a cc thru paypal. You can just check out thru paypal w.o signing in (works if you have a paypal account as well) and just pay with a credit card. This way paypal just acts as the merchant bank for the credit card and you are not really under the whole paypal system. One caviate use to be that if you had a credit card linked to paypal (to use with your paypal account login for payments) they would lot let you use that card without logging in. I think this is now gone but have not tested it lately.

One thing that using a credit card is you have a little more muscle in dealing with any problems. Paypal has not been great to deal with (outside ebay these days) on issues on a sale. They don’t like it when you do this, but there are situations where the cc companies’ weight helps clear an issue.

doing business wire transfers from the us to japan start at about $20 with most banks and involve going to the bank and usually dealing with someone that barely knows how to do them and a good 20 minutes. I did a few for omacha express and other things for ordering goods in japan one good three trips as first time I never knew there was a 3pm deadline, next time the parson there fouled it up and had to come back on a day the usual person who did them was in, third time was a charm but another 15min visit... TransferWise looks good at only 1%, but it looks like it can take a week to go thru. Might see if you can get a better cc that has no exchange fees and just keep it paid off! 

cheers

jeff

6 hours ago, IST said:

It must be for certain regions or countries.  As I cannot do that.  I still switch to credit card and it still takes around the 4%, same as using paypal normally.

40 minutes ago, katoftw said:

It must be for certain regions or countries.  As I cannot do that.  I still switch to credit card and it still takes around the 4%, same as using paypal normally.

are you asking for payment in yen thru paypal to your cc? if not then paypal just rolls their fees into the higher exchange rate. its a bit hidden when you get an invoice in paypal at times to change currency back to what they are asking for (ie yen). they usually then give you a notice that your cc will be charged in yen and you may have fees applied for exchange with your credit card (not saying paypal does the same thing and never really tells you!)

jeff

Yeah done all that.  paying in yen, using credit card etc etc.  it still comes out the same rates are regular paypal.

Maybe my cc conversion rate are just way better than pp?

Heh, I knew this would happen... The day after I ask, my shipment is sent! I completely understand life getting in the way, I just didn't know if it usually takes this long or if this was a special case.

Either way, the prices are so good I can't stay away! 

Nariichi is a one person shop pretty much so while you get very personal attention but life and workload can get busy and in the way. The bigger shops don’t get you the personal attention (ie answering detailed questions, special orders, etc) but it does get you more of a machine to get orders out quickly and probably more consistently. Sadly I don’t think we can have both all the time.

jeff

• Like 2

Cteno,

Transferwise is just as fast as a domestic money transfer (1-2 days tops). This is because it’s not an international transfer; you give money to transferwise and they wire transfer it from their Japanese account. I’ve tried it to Japan. And Singapore. And Switzerland. All 1-2 days tops. It’s also cheaper. I will suggest it to Mr. Takayama the next time I order something.

Edited by Yavianice

Ah I was just going by the reviews on some sites that said it could take up to 5 days to debit to transferwise then 1-2 to do the exchange and payment.

2 days is not bad and only 1% not 3%+ of paypal and others

cheers,

jeff

In looking at transferwise more it looks good if you can’t avoid the 3%+ papal or credit card currency fees. The only other fee would be if you have a non branch bank cash withdrawal fee on your debit card, that needs to be looked at on your own end. I wonder if these look to banks as cash or merchandise? 

bonus to the shop is they avoid the 2-4% merchant fee for paypal or merchant bank. But it is probably a little more hassle for them lining up who’s and when payments come in and cross referencing it to the order a couple of days after. Also they may not want to put stuff aside until the payment has come in. Also requires a change to the shopping cart system to just check out wirh wire transfer later.

these always make my head hurt, but it’s a lot better these days. Use to be dealing with merchant accounts and credit cards they would suck you dry with a thousand little fees! 

jeff