A Tail of Two 100-series shinkansen on Yahoo JP

Guest keio6000

Guest keio6000

Both from the same seller. I have to catch a flight in a few minutes so i can't see how it ends, but this gives you the idea.  Yes, i understand why there is a price difference (and I'm fortunate enough to own both of these sets), but it's still funny.

(we) collectors are crazy :)

shin100_1.pngshin100_2.png

Edited by keio6000

Get similar on EBay for the EU where for some reason the "Buy It Now" or even the auction bid starting prices for train stuff vary wildly between countries - in particular for items posted from Germany seem excessive. Cannot all be down to exchange rates so must be different market expectations?

Is that the symbol of JNR ? Didn't know there was such a model! And wow! Look at the price difference! Yap we collectors are suckers for details even if it means just a small symbol difference, and we modelers only know the difference ~ 

I might be able to help on  the logo, It represents the letters 'NS' (New Shinkansen) and was applied only to the 100系 prototype formation, formation X0 (later X1).

When formation X0 was delivered to J.N.R. in March 1985, she represented the first new Shinkansen design on the Tōkaidō/Sanyō Shinkansen since the introduction of the 0系 in 1964 (not counting the introduction of the 0系1000番台cars in 1976, and the 0系2000番台 cars in 1981, since they where still part of the same design). J.N.R. nicknamed this the "New Shinkansen Era", or NS for short, and a stylized 'NS' Logo was placed on formation X0's 168形 and 149形 cars.

In 1986 and 1987 the pre-production 100系 formations (X2~X7) where delivered to J.N.R, though sans 'NS' logo, and during this same period (October 1986) formation X0 was redesignated X1.

After the 1987 split of J.N.R. all 7 X formations transferred to JR Tōkai. It was around this time period that formation X1 got 'JR' logos in lieu of it's 'NS' logo.

She served JR Tōkai for another decade, before being retired in October 1999 (less then a month after the final 0系 Yk formation retired). Her fellow X formations lasted for about a year after that, the last ones being retired in November 2000.

some interesting (early) pictures of formation X0:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ozayo1965/32329779.html

-Sander

• Like 4

Amazing Sander! Really amazes me of how much you know of the shinkansens!

Anyone knows what's the eventual selling price of the 1st one, the one with the 21,000 current bid & NS logo?

Yahoo Japan is actually quite a good source for N scale models... Only downside is the fees involved, but one can get really lucky sometimes and get away with a really good deal of a very hard to find model...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ