Personal Project No. 1

disturbman

Since I'm still waiting on my appartment, I'm pleasing myself with little projects. Like buying trains on Internet and then taking picture of them in order to show them to you.

My collection is not very extensive and will not see any kind of growth in the foreseeable futur. But, at the moment, I'm the proud owner of:

- 4 Tomix Kiha40-2000 (2 trailers and 2 motor cars).

- 1 Kato EF63 (Second Type) and some fret wagons to go with.

- 1 MicroAce JR Shikoku 8000 (that I just bought to test the japanese auction system and because, of course, I also like the train very much).

post-156-13569922665178_thumb.jpg

post-156-13569922666358_thumb.jpg

post-156-13569922667752_thumb.jpg

post-156-13569922668801_thumb.jpg

SubwayHypes

Nice trains!!!  That train in the first picture is my favorite, i like commuter looking trains.

ALso, you said you bought them on japanese auction system??  How was that?  Is it easy, because i saw so many trains that i wanted on there but i have no idea how to use the system and i heard many people on JNS cant seem to figure it out either.

The trains in the photo are not different trains but the same. Both ends are just totaly different. I do like also the commuter feeling of this express.

Edit: The following test was rewrited and reposted in another thread, see here.

The auction system is very simple to use in fact. Quick explanation.

1. I look at different site before settling for this one: http://www.japanauctioncenter.com/

2. I registered. Nothing difficult, you just have to give your name and adress. Everything they need to send you the package.

3. Then, you just have to find the things you are interested in. As for myself I find it easier to go directly to yahoo japan auction website, make a search and then paste the adress of the goods that interested me directly in to the Japan Auction Center window. I explain:

With this auction website you can browse but not make any search directly in Yahoo and since there is so many articles browsing is a very tedious process.

But, in order for us, stupid Gaijin, to understand Yahoo Japan Auction website the JAC translate (some part) of the YJA pages in a specific windows. And for that they use this type of url adress: http://www.japanauctioncenter.com/view.php?seturl=

Then you just need to paste your url after the "=" and the page of the item you want to bid on appears in JAC system.

(I hope I'm clear enough, my english lack some subtetlies to explain things like I would like).

4. Once you find the goods you want to bid on, you transfer the money to JAC via Paypal. It's easy, simple and doesn't take more than 2 minutes. You don't even need to have a Paypal account, just some credit card.

5. You bid, directly the maximum amount you want to pay for the good. The system will automatically bid for you if someone tries to out bid you. In any case if you are out bid you will receive a mail telling you so. And if you want you can then bid on something else or make a new bid on the same good. The only restriction is, you can't bid more than the amount you deposited.

6. You wait. And if everything goes well you will receive your package one or two weeks after paying JAC's and EMS' fees.

7. Last but not least, if you have been particating in different auctions you can have JAC send you the different item in one package.

But anything consider I will strongly recommend you to use this type of services for things that you want but can't find somewhere else. I think that, at the end, the fees will represent 25% of the paid price at the moment of the auction. That's a rough estimation and it's only true if you buy something 10.000 Yen. And then, after that, you still need to pay the EMS delivery rate.

So, do you math good before trying this service because buying a new item from an internetshop could be cheaper than bidding on japanese auctions.

SubwayHypes

yea japanese auction bidding would definately be for hard to get trains out of stock on hobbysearch.  so the average cost is about 25% of the train, so if i buy an 150 dollar train, my total costs would be in the ball park of 200 dollars?

That's what I would say but, it's really a rough estimation.

To be more accurate I will give you some numbers to crunch:

JAC Commission: 800 yen + 8% per auction

Japan domestic delivery fee: can vary between 120 yen and 900 yen (maybe even more, 900 yen was the most I've seen while looking around)

Banking fee: 300 yen

Paypal fee: minimal and I'm not sure anymore how much it was. I will say somewhere around 40 yen

So for an item costing 10.000 yen it will cost you at least 2.100 yen in fees plus around 2.000/3.000 yen for EMS shipping.

Excellent breakdown on how to use the Japanese auction system. I wonder if this should be in it's own thread on "Using the Japanese auction system"

CaptOblivious

That's an attractive train, and very nicely detailed, too. Do you have information about the prototype?

I had but I've lost them. All I remember it's that the 8000 is Pendular EMU used for express service in Shikoku island and that it looks a lot like the 2000.

I also found a little video:

Since I take the LIRR everyday to NYC the first thing I noticed in the video are the comfortable looking seats and they look like they are make of wood (or some material that simulates wood)

It looks like a great train to take a travel in.

disturbman

That's an attractive train, and very nicely detailed, too. Do you have information about the prototype?

I found more information. It exists two different setting. One is a three cars set, like I have, and the other is a five cars set. They can run sepparately or together, thus making a height cars set.

The three cars set is used on the "Ishizuchi" service between Takamatsu and Matsuyama and the five cars set is used on the "Shiokaze" service between Okayama and Matsuyama.

The 8000 is born in 1992 and was renovated in 2006 during which it received a new color scheme. I own a set with the old livery.

For those who are interested in seeing some photos of JR Shikoku train, and the 8000, they can look here. The pages are in French but I think you'll be able to understand the pictures. ;)

ps : I hve found a nice "Shiokaze" set on Yajoo Auctions... I'm struggling with myself not to buy it. It's so nice.

disturbman

As promised I go further with my first project. Yesterday I had a to fetch a new train at Berlin's customs and today I present you with my new train.

But beware, it's a special one. He doesn't run everywhere and doesn't look anybody else. He is composed of two cars, one is a Kiha 185, the other one is a Kikuha 32 (a view car) and together they formed a touristic train used by JR Shikoku. I would have liked to get this train in his new color scheme (Powered by Anpanman) but I had to settle for the Seto Bridge version.

At the end I will just say that I'm very please, I would even dare to say "in love" with this train. he looks so special and different than any other that he conquered my heart when I pull him off his case.

Anyway, here come the pictures I have taken today. For those who wants to see better images they can follow this link (it's a Hobby World link)

post-156-1356992269235_thumb.jpg

post-156-13569922693096_thumb.jpg

post-156-13569922694096_thumb.jpg

post-156-13569922695386_thumb.jpg

disturbman

Now, a nice lollypop for everybody to enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQVJ6rgmpjI

You will notice that I'm using a metal teapot cover as a tunnel. That's very cheap and intelligent modelling, don't you think. ;D

Here you will see the current aspect of my KTL. It has a main line and two sidding I'm using as stations. I have then an origin and a destination. It's quite nice and I'm starting to think that I will base my first real layout on this one. it's simple, easy and quite nice to play with. Here all track are Fleischmann's.

156_23_05_09_4_03_35.jpg

ps:

• Like 2
SubwayHypes

cool little train, never seen that before.  can you add more cars or is this a strict two car setup?? 

disturbman

It's strictly a two cars setup and it's just for leisure, I guess they don't need more cars to run the business.

That's a great set (even if it *is* a diesel....  ;)  )  -- I really like the open viewing car. I'm looking forward to the video--not going to try it in our super-slow connection at the moment....

I had but I've lost them. All I remember it's that the 8000 is Pendular EMU used for express service in Shikoku island and that it looks a lot like the 2000.

I also found a little video:

Found more about it:

The JR Shikoku 8000 Series entered service in 1992 and is used on two services.

Express service "Shiokaze" through the Great Seto Bridge between Okayama and Matsuyama, and "Ishizuchi" between

Takamatsu and Matsuyama. I think the "Shiokaze" service is run with a 8 cars consist that split in a 5 cars and 3 cars set at Matsuyama. The 3 cars set go then further to Takamatsu.

CaptOblivious

I was quite surprise to see that the Kato DD51 doesn't have working tail light. I'm still wondering if it's normal or not.

None of my Kato locomotives have working markerlights. I'm working on adding them myself…

disturbman

That's a pain in the ass. Oddly enough my first Kato loc, my EF63, has them. Maybe I had the chance (?) to buy the only Kato model with working marker light... Anyway the holes are there on the DD51 but no chance, they don't work. I never thought it was still possible to buy loc without working lights or marker lights. I'm a bit disapointed.

CaptOblivious

That's a pain in the ass. Oddly enough my first Kato loc, my EF63, has them. Maybe I had the chance (?) to buy the only Kato model with working marker light... Anyway the holes are there on the DD51 but no chance, they don't work. I never thought it was still possible to buy loc without working lights or marker lights. I'm a bit disapointed.

That's very interesting that your EF63 has working markerlights! Would you be wiling to remove the shell and photograph the mechanism for us?

It's easy to find room to add marker lights in my EF65, and my Tomix EF81 (which also doesn't have markerlights), but I wonder if would be easy in the DD51. Would you also be willing to remove the shell and take some photographs? It might be that adding them isn't too much of a pain.

disturbman

No, I don't mind showing you the private parts of my EF63. In fact it's very easy to do. But, as far as the DD51 is concerned, I don't have clue how to remove the shell. Plus I'm afraid of breaking all those little plastic thingies on the fronts.

Martijn Meerts

The lack of marker lights might be related to what the locomotives are used for, or what Kato (and Tomix, and MicroAce) think the modeler will used them for. Usually the locomotives will have a string of cars, in which case the marker lights are on the last car. The ones on the locomotive are then off. At the terminal station, the locomotive switches to the other end of the train, at which point it still won't need any marker lights itself.

For shunting operations, it's common worldwide to have headlights turned on on both ends, and no marker lights.