Shikoku Shinkansen?

Check this press release from JR Shikoku.

http://www.jr-shikoku.co.jp/03_news/press/13-09-30/02.htm

They will have first Shinkansen with diesel powered....!?
I don't know they call this KIHA-0 or ???

Below are some translation by myself.  Please allow my poor English...  Hope you get some idea...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Regarding operation of "Railroad Hobby Train"

JR Shikoku and local communities cooperated several activities to stimulate usage of Yoto line.  And now JR Shikoku will start operating modified diesel car to celebrate 40 year anniversary of end to end operation of Yoto line and 100 year anniversary of route between Uwajima and Chikanaga station.  Exterior design will be inspired from 0 series Shinkansen and will display model trains in the car.

1. Train and Routes
    - 1 x KIHA 32
    - Operated between Kubokawa and Uwajima on Yoto Line (will be operated daily)

2. Planned Go-Live
    Around March, 2014

3. Design
Please see below....

4. Other Information
    - Will diplay some model trains inside of the car
    - Other event and detailed information will be announced later

(Reference)
Yoto Line started end to end operation on March 1, 1974 - 40 years ago
Operation between Uwajima and Chikanaga Station started on October 18, 1914 - 100 years ago

After seeing the title I thought this would be about the proposal of the (mini-)Shinkansen on Shikoku using this technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_Change_Train#Second-generation_train_.281998.E2.80.932007.29

But now I get this hideous thing. JR Shikoku, you disappoint me. How can you possibly ruin a KiHa32 to this awful looking... thing... I have no words for it. I will deny its existence.

@bikkuri

Excuse me but what is that, yet another, hideous thing. Kankoku is Korea so don't tell me the Koreans did the same as JR Shikoku plans to do to a cute KiHa32?

The JR Shikoku train is a promotional train, like the wrapping trains and resort trains you often see.  If there is a shinkansen service eventually, it will be the variable gauge train.

The Korean train is likely from sometime in the 1970's or 80's, there doesn't seem much photo record of it, likely because S.Korea was a military dictatorship then, and railfanning was circumscribed for security reasons. It's merely an EMD diesel with a fiberglass (or something) nose, and "me too" shinkansen-like colors.

it`s just a kiha 32 modified to look like a shinkansen 0 series.

joyful train with model trains inside.

they are hoping to get rail fans down there..... Hoping lol

• Like 1

Huh looks nice... but usually before trains are delivered (even maintenance trains) you hear something about it, but this time nothing.

What appears to be the latest version of the FGT was spotted being shunted around within the confines of KHI's Hyogo Plant:

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2139341784313407001

This is likely closer to what we'll see running in Shikoku someday, though it'll be first used on the Nagasaki Line, I reckon.

Bikkuri, do you know who's paying for these?  I was looking at the Japanese wikipedia page but I'm missing it.  MLIT or RTRI, maybe?

bikkuri bahn

I believe it's the RTRI that's responsible for this project.  I suppose the funding comes at least partially from the JR companies which will use the revenue design, as RTRI is organized as a foundation of the JR group.

bikkuri bahn

Well then, until the FGT starts revenue service, people will have to be satisfied with this as per the OP...