Shikoku Shinkansen?

This looks like a truly horribly misguided marketing idea. The painted nose on the 'back' of the train looks much nicer. That and a blue plow would have been more than enough. The rest of the train is ok, but this cut out half nose is just plain ugly.

While i do understand that they didn't want to modify the railcar too much, but if they did want a really extreme nose (extreme for this type of dmu), then it could be achived by adding a nonpowered light weight control car made from an old dmu or trailer coach, that can be cut up as much as needed, so the windows and internal layout can be rearranged in a way to get the driver high enough to use the top windows. This would have the added benefit, that the exhibition part could be put into the nonpowered car and the powered car could be used as a normal train (with a nice paint) when not in railfan mode. Also, personally i think that an old restored trainset with a few modern features added is much nicer. Good examples are the 90 years old hungarian bcymot dmu-s that are still in departmental use in unrestored conditon, but they are very popular as nostalgic trains on branchlines and even open air museums. They usually get a new or rebuilt motor, an automatic hydraulic transmission, electric lights and some of them even a hidden wheelchair lift for platformless stations. These trains look like real trains and don't try to be anything else.

http://keptar.oszk.hu/033200/033211/13504413_e5531cb4e_nagykep.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48647265@N04/4651639905

Edited by kvp
bikkuri bahn

It's a promotional train, so it'll be scrapped/returned to original form once the campaign is over, so no biggie really.  FYI, it is called the "hobby train", it will have model railway trains in a showcase as part of the interior fittings.  I think it's meant to attract the kiddies, among others, so the kitsch fittings on the front end are a plus.

YouTube member nimo5 did a long, excellent video of this special train in action:

Note they even bothered to install the original horn from the 0 Series Shinkansen on this train....

• Like 1

Haha great idea! Remind me to bring along a model to place on the limited express crossing the Seto Bridge the next time I'm visiting Shikoku!