My first foray into T-Trak modules...

The Next Station Is...

The Next Station Is...

Looks like I have a few posts to respond to!

Comparing the costs of laser-cutting with the pre-fab kits that are available, I doubt that laser-cutting presents a more economical option for most people - especially as those kits come with the legs, T-nuts and bolts. The limit on maximum size of modules due to the maximum material size does also mean laser-cutting is only really suitable for small layouts.

My main motivation behind laser-cutting is that I want to see what the art of the possible is and satisfy my creators curiosity. Whilst this first module is as basic as you can get, I'm planning more complex ideas which will make better use of the freedom and accuracy of laser-cutting.

The tabs and slots are designed to be a tight fit and they work well at keeping everything aligned and rigid. They're not really designed for frequent disassembly and reassembly; testing would be required to see how they perform under such conditions. Also, being a wood-based product environmental conditions could affect tab and slot performance, although I don't envisage issues unless the climate was really humid.

Bracing/internal support will definitely be required for modules larger than the standard size, and to improve durability if the module is being transported often. I'm also intrigued by the idea of incorporating the levelling mechanism into corner bracing.

Finally, once I have corrected the measurement error on my first module I might make the plan available on Ponoko (another web-based 3D printing/laser-cutting service) - I need to check how that stands copyright-wise, although I'm not planning on putting a price on the design.

Martijn Meerts

I think the lasercutting way is actually one of the better ways to go. The pre-fab kits might be cheaper, but as you said there's little to no flexibility with those.

I've actually found a place in the Netherlands that lasercuts up to 6mm plywood, so I'm definitely thinking about giving it a go myself :)

The Next Station Is...

I can't believe it's been over 15 months since the last post here... I have not been resting and I have updates to announce!

I have advanced the designs quite a bit and have posted a full write-up on my blog. In summary, I've now decided on a slightly alternative standard of 10mm high modules with an optional 60mm raiser for connecting to normal T-Trak modules. This saves money and material for the moment, whilst allowing for expansion ideas such as tunnels and bridges in the future with multi-level setups.

There are now corner braces for rigidity and these also incorporate tabs and slots to align modules with their raisers. Slots and holes for wiring to enter the module and come up underneath the track have been added, and alignment lines engraved to help position the track accurately on the module.

There are still things I would like to do, such as pre-cutting fixing holes that line up with the screw holes in Kato track for even greater accuracy, and having a 'library' of module designs so that different track and turnout setups can be accommodated easily. Finally, corner modules are an issue at the moment... mainly down to material size limits, but also I really want a curved edge! I do like to set myself difficult challenges...

tumblr_nfnyheCzB71rx8h5to1_1280.jpg

• Like 4