Quick Question - Can Tomix and MicroAce mix?

JR 500系

Hi all!

Just a quick question. I recently got hold of this set: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10033165

Tomix 92257 J.R. Commuter Train Series E231 (Joban Line) (Basic A 3-Car Set) 

And as it is a dis-continued set, it's hard finding the add-on for this. I was thinking, can the Micro Ace equivalent, A-4061 http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10024551 MicroAce A-4061 Series E231 Joban Line (Add-on 4-Car Set) combine with the above Tomix basic set, as in, can the basic set link up with this add-on set from MicroAce? 

As the original recommended Tomix add-on set is Tomix 92339 J.R. Commuter Train Series E231 (Joban Line) (Add-on 5-Car Set) is slightly more expensive and makes the train 8-car long, i was thinking if i can use the 4-car add-on from MA instead.

Advance thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't recommend it because the detail/size/height rail-bottom chassic may all be slightly different and look ugly together. You can however always use TN couplers to couple everything together when you're using MicroAce and Tomix.

jr

yeah as densha said i would expect a few minor variations that might be enough to stand out in the completed sets. ive noticed in the few trains ive had or we have had with the club from two different manufacturers there was always noticeable differences when sitting side by side. if you saw them separate you would not notice the differences unless really looking very hard and have a good memory. but with a consist even a slight difference in color, finish, height will possibly stand out.

cheers

jeff 

There is always the matter of subtle changes in the livery colours between the different manufacturers plus profile and size variations as well.

Thanks all for the info! 

I was thinking about these too, especially worried about the height variation since they are different suppliers. Worried that the carriages can't even connect together then that would be a huge problem. 

Thanks guys i'll try to get the original Tomix one then ~ Wouldn't want my E231 Joban line, being the longest operational commuter train in Japan now, being just 3-car short on my layout...  Cheers!

Actually, the two brands will work together.  They are both fitted with Rapido couplers that are compatible.

You will have the following issues to consider:

1. Tomix 92257/8/9 is quite old and obsolete. However, there is a 92258 for sale here: http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f132452413

2. The replacement product is 92339/40.  It is not compatible with 92257 because you will be short two cars

3. The MA A4061 will leave you short one car - MoHaNe 231

4. Combining MA and Tomix will result in a consist that is not prototypically correct.  That is to say, the combination of car numbers that never actually ran together.  However this might not be important to you.

5. The MA A4060/1/2 is still widely available in the marketplace and will result in a prototypically correct consist.

• Like 1

Thanks Ochanomizu san! That was informative! 

I'm not so particular with the prototypically correct portion, since there is no one here in Sillypore that truely understands the correct consists of the Japanese rail systems, so it's easy to fool through... The only thing i'm afraid of is the incompatibility of the carriages, like the height difference, that might not allow the train to look correct at all... Something like a higher carriage to a lower carriage.. Or are all the makers models the same height for the same type of train? I spotted the Rapido couplers too so that means they physically can be connected together.

As you've said, the 92257/8/9 series are very old and kinda hard to find, but i unfortunately won the 92257 basic set and is reluctant to see the E231 so short, so looking for alternatives to make it longer. The 92258 is 5-car add-on so add to the basic 3 i will have a 8-car train, which i can't run on my ground level line since the platforms are only catered for 6-cars, and they are rather expensive. I would love to get the 92259 3-car add-on set that would make the basic set into a 6-car train, and that would be just nice~~  

Perhaps buy the 92258 now, because you won't see too many of them around.  You can always keep two cars in the case and use the other threeto make a six car formation, right? :D