New Type: JR East Series E259 "NEX"

Sushi Train

Japan: JR-East will put Series E259 EMUs into passenger traffic on Narita Express services from Tokyo to Narita Airport later this year. The 22 six-car sets being built by Tokyu Car Corp have a top speed of 130 km/h and can carry 28 Green Car and 262 standard class passengers. They have a wider seat pitch than the current E253 units' date=' along with wheelchair-accessible toilets and lockable luggage space.[/quote']

I've jut read the info on another forum, the E259 will enter service next month.

In preparation for the spring 2010 increase in air traffic at Narita, railway companies are strengthening their airport access routes. Starting next month, JR East will introduce new rolling stock to the Narita Express—the first new trains in 18 years for the service—while starting next year, Keisei Electric Railway will introduce its latest Skyliner trains—the first new trains in twenty years for the Skyliner—and reduce travel times to and from the airport substantially. In addition, Mori Building will launch a helicopter service linking central Tōkyō and Narita Airport in 30 minutes. With speed and comfort as weapons, the battle for airport access is about to get more heated.

“We decided to introduce new rolling stock to compete against Keisei. We want to win with comfort and convenience”—that’s what JR East Board Member and Railway Operations Department Chief Haraguchi Tsukasa pronounced confidently during a press-only trial run of the new E259 series trains on September 8.

The interior of the trains are designed with a focus on increasing passenger convenience.

Power outlets are provided to all 290 seats on the train, and with the introduction of the broadband wireless service WiMAX, passengers can now access the Internet from anywhere on the train.

In addition, the train announcements and information displays are designed to handle a total of four languages—Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean. Dial locks and security cameras are provided in luggage storage areas near the entrances, the first time either service has been offered on JR East’s trains.

The maximum speed remains 130 kph and the travel time from Tōkyō Station remains 53 minutes. While travel times, the most critical passenger service issue, can’t be reduced, JR East hopes to capture the hearts of passengers by increasing the added value in its Narita Express service.

On the other side, Keisei Electric Railway will introduce its new AE series Skyliner trains to correspond with the opening of a new airport access route via the Hokusō Line. The functionality of equipment including motors and brakes has been improved, and the trains will operate at 160 kph, the fastest non-Shinkansen trains in Japan. The distance to the airport is also approximately 5 km shorter than the current route via the Keisei Main Line. As a result, the travel time between Nippori and Narita Airport Terminal 2 will be reduced by 15 minutes to 36 minutes.

According to Keisei, it plans to compete with the Narita Express and airport express buses through reducing travel times.

The latest mode of access to the airport stealing the attention is a helicopter service being launched by Mori Building on September 16. From Ark Hills (Akasaka, Tōkyō) to Narita Airport, the journey by helicopter and car hire is a mere 30 minutes. While the trip isn’t cheap at ¥50,000 one way, Mori Building aims to satisfy the needs of business executives who wish to “buy time with money.”

The increase in air traffic at Narita is set to kick in starting the end of March next year. With an additional 50 or more flights daily, an increase is expected in foreign visitors to Japan as well as Japanese tourists going and returning from abroad.

The various transport companies are each looking at the increased flights as a big opportunity and are focusing their efforts against the competition on increasing speed and improving passenger comfort.

I cant believe I missed this thread, although Ive never been on the Narita Express I think its a very cool train. I pray that Kato makes a model of the E259, I will be the first to pre order it asap. The Skyliner looks pretty cool as well, I agree it would be cool to have the old NEX running with the E259 on a layout.

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check in with you while there (Taking my Laptop)

Just bought an HD SD memory card video camera for the trip, should get some nice platform shots, hopefully some N700 goodness.  :cool:

Sushi Train, the E259 units start running Oct. 1, so your best bet is your return day (if you're still in Japan then).  Here is the schedule for services using these units:

Train#       Dep. Station/Time                Arr. time at Narita

NEX 3        Ofuna/Takao 6:07/5:50                   7:56

NEX 9        Ofuna 7:07                                   9:01

NEX 13      Ofuna 8:09                                    9:58                                

NEX 15      Yokohama/Omiya 9:30/9:09              10:58        

NEX 25      Yokohama/Ikebukuro 12:30/12:33      13:58      

NEX 29      Yokohama/Ikebukuro  13:30/13:33     14:57

NEX 31      Ofuna/Ikebukuro  13:42/14:03           15:27  

NEX 39      Shinjuku  16:10                               17:29

NEX 43      Shinjuku  17:09                               18:27        

NEX 49      Yokohama   18:32                           20:05  

source:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2009/20090811.pdf            

*let us know how these units ride- they are equipped with dampers to cut down on passenger discomfort-producing yaw, which has been a problem with similarly bolsterless bogie equipped units like the older 253 units.                                          

Claude_Dreyfus

I have been interested to know a bit more about these awards for a while now. Does anyone have any information about them?