Planning a trip to Japan for November

Darklighter

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ochanomizu" data-cid="87610" data-time="1380176691"><p>

Mr bronzeonion,<br />

<br />

If you visit 3100 please post some new photos here.</p></blockquote>

I certainly will.

This sounds overly cautious but should I be worried about bears when I visit the 3100?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ochanomizu" data-cid="87660" data-time="1380261755"><p>

Hello Mr bronzeonion,<br />

<br />

Please allow me to reassure you with the fact that there won't be any bears.</p></blockquote>

Thank you haha

If you are staying in Otsu, don't miss the Keishin line from Hama-Otsu to Kyoto.

In Ōtsu, the trains run in the street, than on "normal" Railway and finally they dive down in the Kyoto Subway.  

It will be hard to miss as the trains run directly in front of the Toyoko Inn:

h230h1.jpg

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00210/

:D 

• Like 1

Arrived in Tokyo today. Didn't do much today. Walked to Ochanimizu station and filmed some trains from the road bridge (BTW what is the platform in the river next to station used for?).

As it is supposed to rain tomorrow, I will visit the Railway Museum in Saitama instead of going to Nikko. 

• Like 4
Arrived in Tokyo today. Didn't do much today. Walked to Ochanimizu station and filmed some trains from the road bridge (BTW what is the platform in the river next to station used for?).

As it is supposed to rain tomorrow, I will visit the Railway Museum in Saitama instead of going to Nikko. 

Welcome to Japan.  Hope you have a nice trip.

I have not been to Ochanomizu station but they are doing rennovation work for station facility.  I assume it is the platfrom for construction purpose....

That's the good thing about Japan for railfans, almost endless options if you need to make last minute changes.

Less than two weeks to go until I leave on my trip. :toothy12:

Hello Mr Darklighter,

I am glad you made it to Japan.  I hope you enjoyed Ochanomizu and I hope you had some time to visit the temple nearby.

I am not sure what you mean by the platform.  You are looking at part of the Second Moat of the Imperial Palace of His Imperial Majesty, The Emperor of Japan.  However, it does join up with the river and it does flow, by virtue of the drainage pattern which was redirected into the moat centuries ago.  It is an artificial structure.  Much of the moat has been reclaimed over the last century.  Originally, one could walk along both banks of the moat.  There were some fortifications on the inner side, mostly earthworks.  The railway was widened early in the 20th century and pedestrian access was lost.  The structure you refer to is part of an old pathway and ramp.  It is made of concrete and was built in the 19th century.  From time to time the vegetation is cleared.  You may find some photographs on the internet.

Sorry, I should have shown the picture before asking the question. ;)

post-225-0-06156300-1384612592_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I went to the Railway museum in Saitama. It's nice but its main target audience seem to be children. My personal highlights were the displayed photos from a rail photography contest and an old documentary film on the Hokuriku Main Line (?) (the camera work was fantastic). On my way to the museum I made a stop at Yono station for some railfanning. Unfortunately, there was only one freight train within 30-45 minutes. An EH200 pulling a container train was sitting in a siding between Yono and Omiya but didn't move. :angry5:  

While I was packing, a Japanese railfan approached but we both were too shy to try to start a conversation. (On the other hand, in the museum a Japanese told me about his trips to Germany in the seventies, and today a strange woman asked questions on my religion in the train (at least that's what I think she asked (kiristokyou, kyoukai)).

Today I went to Nikko and visited Toshogu Shrine. It's fantastic without doubt, however, I didn't get what's so special about the sleeping cat and why there was such a long line on the stairway up to Ieyasu tomb.

Rode an E5 on the return trip. The seats look like they where designed in the nineties.

Furthermore I experienced my first earthquake in Tokyo (at Tam Tam Akihabara). 

And I love Sukiya. (But how are you supposed to eat the rice using chopsticks if it doesn't stick?) 

Edited by Darklighter
  • Like 1
Yesterday I went to the Railway museum in Saitama

What kind of souvenir goods do they have? Do they have a shop that serves bentos?

Edited by miyakoji

Unfortunately railway museums seem to be going down the road of targeting children, ours here in Ipswich is more a a kid's theme park than a museum at times.  My couple of hours at Yono were very busy with freights, I guess it's just luck at times.  At Sukiya hold the bowl up to your mouth and shovel the rice in with the chop sticks.

Mr bronzeonion,

If you visit 3100 please post some new photos here.

I would have uploaded some new photos, but after a very long journey on a 115 series from Takao and a short walk, I found the entrance to where the 3100 is, is closed off by a yellow boundary rope and a sign saying not to enter. So I did as the sign said, and walked back to the station disappointed also with a long wait for the next train back to Kobuchizawa!

I would have uploaded some new photos, but after a very long journey on a 115 series from Takao and a short walk, I found the entrance to where the 3100 is, is closed off by a yellow boundary rope and a sign saying not to enter. So I did as the sign said, and walked back to the station disappointed also with a long wait for the next train back to Kobuchizawa!

I wonder if the recent heavy rains have made the area hazardous?

I wonder if the recent heavy rains have made the area hazardous?

Looked more like it was there to mark off an area as private property. To be fair it does look like an entrance to someones properyu with a separate dead end path next the entrance with logs piled up and cars parked outside.

Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm really busy with travelling. ;)

Won't make it on the SL Hitoyoshi or Aso Boy as both were already booked out (both directions, and there are no non-reserved seats). 

What kind of souvenir goods do they have? Do they have a shop that serves bentos?

Yes, they have an ekiben shop and and a train where you can eat your ekiben (aka "The Lunch Train"). I didn't check the souvenir shop but according to an pamphlet they offer model trains, books, stationary, fabric, toys and snacks.

• Like 1
Sorry for the lack of updates but I'm really busy with travelling. ;)

Won't make it on the SL Hitoyoshi or Aso Boy as both were already booked out (both directions, and there are no non-reserved seats). 

Yes, they have an ekiben shop and and a train where you can eat your ekiben (aka "The Lunch Train"). I didn't check the souvenir shop but according to an pamphlet they offer model trains, books, stationary, fabric, toys and snacks.

It can be frustrating sometimes not being able to reserve seats with a rail pass prior to arrival in Japan.  Have you looked at getting a regular train departing before the SL leaves and getting some shots of it out along the line somewhere?

Hello Mr bronzeonion,

Thank you for doing the right thing.  However, I think I would have misbehaved and ignored the sign .... ;)

Ah well, least I got a good 115 series ride out of it!

• Like 2
It can be frustrating sometimes not being able to reserve seats with a rail pass prior to arrival in Japan.  Have you looked at getting a regular train departing before the SL leaves and getting some shots of it out along the line somewhere?

I don't know if I just missed it or if someone cancelled his reservation but I was finally able to get a reservation for the SL (Hitoyoshi -> Kumamoto). And a reservation for the Shinpei (Yoshimatsu -> Hitoyoshi). Still no reservation for the Hayato No Kaze but it has one car with non-reserved seats and if it's too full I could use the Nippo and Hisatsu Line to get to Yoshimatsu in time.

BTW, another option would have been to start from (or end in) Shin-Yatsushiro instead of Kumamoto.

So no Aso-Boy and Aso-san on this trip but I will have to come back to Kyushu anyway.

p.s. I searched for open seats on http://train.yoyaku.jrkyushu.co.jp/

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ochanomizu" data-cid="89875" data-time="1385349327"><p>

Was it a suka or nagano colour?</p></blockquote>

Both from Takao - Kobuchuzawa and the one from Kobuchizawa - Shinano Sakai were Nagano colour. The first one had an original interior and the second one had the slightly refreshed interior with blue seats.

Shinano Sakai - Kobuchizawa was also a Nagano colour unit

From there I got a 215 series on a Holiday View Yamanashi Rapid to Mitaka which was a nice surprise!

• Like 1

Hello Mr bronzeonion,

You are fortuitous to have travelled on the 215系 Holiday View Yamanashi.  I've ridden this train. I take green car because the fixed seats in a standard car are a little too upright for my liking.  Only 4 consists were manufactured.  They are 20 years old.