A Camera for Layout Photography, Maybe

This is interesting.  I won't be buying "version 1.0", but if they make some improvements I could see myself getting one:

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/1040220037/first-look-sony-qx10-qx100-mobile-cameras

Sony's new "lens for a smartphone" is really a standalone camera in the shape of a lens (slightly longer to fit the memory card and battery), with a wifi link to your smartphone to control it, use as a viewfinder, and even download the image (while it also saves to the memory card).  They're not cheap, at US$250 for the one with the 1/2.3" sensor, and twice that for the one with the 1" sensor.

Still, that's an 18 - 20 mpixel camera that's 63mm in diameter and 33 or 56mm long.  Imagine putting that in the middle of a layout on a beanbag or small tripod (it has a tripod mount) and getting a person's-eye view at high resolution, while adjusting the exposure and focus from a comfortable position in the aisle next to the layout (or a chair halfway across the room).

The problem, for me anyway, is that they don't do RAW and they don't do fully manual control.  In fact you apparently can't set the ISO or white balance (except for the usual kinds of presets for WB).  That's horribly crippled by my standards. I wouldn't buy a $250 camera without RAW, much less one for $500.  My current layout camera (a Samsung) cost $300 (on sale) and does RAW.

But dang, it's a cool concept. Maybe someone else will do one that isn't crippled, or Sony will get a clue.

Tis way good! This is the future and great for uses like this. I've wanted to tether a digital camera to the pc to do model shots to have a bigger picture and not be bent over the shot trying to peer in a tiny screen. And getting into those interesting places to get great shot!

I played with a colleague's go pro wifi setup on a ipad mini a while back and that was quite fun and it doesn't have the lens features these do!

Sure all the others are going to follow down this path with smart phones having to be something everyone has to have these days (commercials now tell us that they are even required for our kids to get any education!)

Going to be fun and interesting.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by cteno4