DCC: Is it for Me?

Bernard

I decided to start this thread for people who aren't running DCC but are thinking about it and have questions about how it works.

One of the basic differences for me is, with DC the track controls the train but with DCC the train controls the track. There is a lot less wiring with DCC and you don't have to worry about polarity with reverse loops or switches.

These are just a few points that I mention but I'll let other members talk about it.

One question you should ask yourself is how many trains do I want to run on my layout? The number of trains you want to run, could determine if you want to go DCC.

Also there are some modelers that already have DC systems but wonder if they can switch over to DCC. So let the discussions begin.....

Sushi Train

ME FIRST! ME FIRST!

Excuse my ignorance please, all this DCC stuff is over my head  :-[ especially installing decoders, one question, when I build my layout is it worth to set it up as DCC at time of building or can I do this later once its finished and running without too much trouble? also, as I've heard, Tomix can be a problem decoding, what do you do with say, the Dr Yellow or 300 that can't run properly? can they be run on your layouts as DC, is it switchable?

Thanks  :)

Martijn Meerts

There is a lot less wiring with DCC and you don't have to worry about polarity with reverse loops or switches.

Actually, depending on how far you take it, a DCC layout can require more wiring than a "regular" layout, especially once you start working with blocks, detection and automation.

Also, there is still a polarity issue with reverse loops, its just much easier to solve. Most DCC manufacturers have a little device that automatically switches polarity on an isolated bit of track.

CaptOblivious

ME FIRST! ME FIRST!

Excuse my ignorance please, all this DCC stuff is over my head  :-[ especially installing decoders, one question, when I build my layout is it worth to set it up as DCC at time of building or can I do this later once its finished and running without too much trouble? also, as I've heard, Tomix can be a problem decoding, what do you do with say, the Dr Yellow or 300 that can't run properly? can they be run on your layouts as DC, is it switchable?

Thanks  :)

DCC was designed specifically so that people could incorporate it into existing DC layouts. But if you want really fancy block-detection features, you should consider wiring for DCC in advance. THe good news is that you can run a layout wired for DCC off of plain old DC, so you can upgrade incrementally, so revert to DC for special occasions.

You can also run one DC train on a DCC layout.

You're right Martijn, I forgot about the reversing unit you can purchase so you can have reverse loops on DCC. ::)

The one thing though, I found I used less wire when I ran buse wires around the layout which fed power to 4 mainlines. In DC I would have had to run separate lines for each track. There was a big advantage of having the train control the track, they could all run off 2 buse lines.

Sushi Train - another consideration is "how many trains do I want to run at one time?" That question can determine if you want to do DC OR DCC.

Martijn Meerts

Bernard, true.. But as I mentioned, once you start with computer control, blocks, detection, signals etc, you'll be spending more time wiring the layout than ballasting it =)

SubwayHypes

WHat do you mean by "polarity" with the switches, i am running regular DC and im wondering if im gonna encounter some problems when i install my turnouts.