random observations

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Back from three weeks in Kanto and Kansai.  Just a number of notes I made of the railway scene, opinions fully my own, of course.

Toyoko Line- heaps more interesting with the run-throughs via the Fukutoshin Line.  Has opened up more railfanning opportunities in the western regions of Tokyo and Saitama w/better access for someone based in Yokohama, like me.

I have long lamented the demise of the Tokyu 8000 series on Tokyu Lines rails, but I have found an acceptable substitute- the Tobu 9000 series, which can be seen on the Toyoko Line thanks to the run-through ops.  A contemporary (a wee later, actually) in design era with the 8000/8500's (1981), and thanks to that I can hear that sublime chopper whine once again on Toyoko Line rails, AGI (as God intended). And like the 8000 series, or 8500's for that matter, a spot in a motor car will give you a nice symphony of traction motor roar when running in notch 4.  Almost enough to make you forget the vulgar GTO or characterless IGBT traction.

At Tsunashima station.  Blur your vision a bit, and you can almost believe it's an 8000 series moving out:

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 3

To be honest, I like the Tōbu 9000 a lot more than the Tōkyu 8000/8500... The front design is just a little better. Then again, Tōbu has the lead in good looking rolling stock IMO...

I assume you mean on the Toyoko Line because otherwise you're deceiving yourself with your Keisei-addiction. ;)

The sound is very nice indeed! I also quite like the design and the yellow lightning. How do you actually figure out which car is the motor car?

I assume you mean on the Toyoko Line because otherwise you're deceiving yourself with your Keisei-addiction. ;)

Well, Keisei had some good designs going, but it's fading away... Tobu is still going strong, though the trains are too long for my modelling ambitions. I'll probably start a Tōbu collection once the time (wallet) is ripe, but that won't be any time soon.

Now I realise my interests in trains is on the wrong side of town... Literally.

I agree with you, the modern Keisei stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.

At least I don't have that problem with just a single railway line through my town! It's terribly boring though, one freight a day and on average one loco-hauled passenger train per hour and that's it for the interesting stuff. At least I'm moving next week to the other side of the country!

• Like 1