Seven Stars in Kyushu full trainset test

Sacto1985

YouTube poster kirin0825 just posted something a lot of people are waiting for:

This is the completed Seven Stars in Kyushu (ななつ星in九州) seven-car trainset, including the DF200 diesel-hydraulic locomotive. It's being tested near JR Kyushu's maintenance yard near Kokura Station, though of course the train has not gotten its final livery.

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 3
the train has not gotten its final livery.
I think it probably does have its paint, but the cars are under the same wrapping as the loco. There are large windows on both end cars of the passenger formation, neither the Cassiopeia nor the Twilight Express is built this way, is it?
It's being tested near JR Kyushu's maintenance yard near Kokura Station, though of course the train has not gotten its final livery.

Though I recognized it. I used to take the train past that depot every morning on the way to work when I worked in Kitakyushu, guess I have a reason to go back to Kyushu now. Can't wait for the train to be operating...

I for one can't wait to see it on the Hisatsu Orange Railway on the portion of that line that closely hugs the western coastline of Kyushu and maybe even make a run to the line near Mt. Aso, too.

The first cars built in over 50 years with the first-class I (イ) designation. Similar situation for the Shi dining car, although that's probably more like 40 years. Although I suppose JR East could have used the I for the Gran Class shinkansen cars if they were still using that naming system.

According to the Tetsudou Fan link, the consist is:

MaI 77-7001

MaShiFu 77-7002

MaINe 77-7003

MaINe 77-7004

MaINe 77-7005

MaINe 77-7006

MaINeFu 77-7007

Cars 1 through 3 were built by JR Kyushu at Kokura, 4 through 7 at Hitachi's Kasado factory.

The Shinchosha page has this link http://www.shinchosha.co.jp/railmap/blog/sden/2013/07/22.html showing an older MaINe car, with 3-axle trucks. Seems like a pretty rare sight on Japanese rails.

Edited by miyakoji

Nice looking paint scheme, I don't know whether that grill on the front of the loco does anything to improve its looks though. The interiors look nicely done as well from what they've shown. I hope the train is a sucess and doesn't end up like our Great South Pacific Express gathering dust in a corner of the shops after a couple of years.

Now, who will be first to bring out a model?

Edited by westfalen
  • Like 1

The cars almost looks like a non-powered version of the E655. They look okay though, not that amazing but not too bad.

And wow, that front of the DF200 is ugly! Were they trying to imitate Alfa Romeo cars or something?

Btw, if you look closely you can see that the loco is numbered DF2007000.

interesting. looks like the designer went a bit over the top with the gold trimmings and 7 stars though. at some point that stuff just turns gaudy. weight of the trimmings is a bit heavier than most traditional japanese designs. seven stars is repeated so many times and in different ways on it all, bet marketing was down pushing to put it in just one more place, in one more way. branding has seeped into everything... sad as in this case it takes a pretty finish with the gold trimmings and turns it into more of a billboard.

first glance at the front grill and "spider man" popped to mind for some reason!

interior looks nice with the arched passageway. height of the arch helps make the narrow passageway feel larger. the insetting of the arch behind the crown moulding makes the arch feel bigger that the passageway to make it even larger feeling. odd the top black stripe is only on some of the arches. maybe emergency lighting? or perhaps ventilation?

would be interesting to see how the heavy oak trim feels in person in the small space. oak and big trim is not usually used in smaller places like boats where finer grains and lighter trim designs help make tight spaces feel less closed in. in darker places the shadows from the heavy trim makes things feel darker (which can be nice in a larger space, but can be more claustrophobic in smaller spaces)

also folks are going to catch themselves on that trim when they brush up against the sides. we actually pulled trim and replaced with as low profile as possible on a friend's boat in places you were always banging against while going down passageways. its funny  even with no motion folks get disoriented some in a tight corridor they tend to weave more down it. ive noticed this on boats and trains and wondered if its the brain just thinking it needs to be on the fast auto correct for motion and with none that makes for over correction.

cheers

jeff

The cheesy wood trim appears to be a recurring Kyushu thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ltd_Exp_Ibusuki-no-Tamatebako_110312_3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JR_Kyushu_Kiha_125_Umisachi_Yamasachi-in-Aoshima-20100626.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JRKyushu_A-Train_inside02.jpg

Likewise with plastering the name in 20 different places:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JR_Kyushu_A-TRAIN_03.png

But I do like the paint scheme. They just need to debadge the thing and get rid of that horrendous fake grille... I'm reminded of Robert Farago's review of the original Subaru B9.

With the fake radiator grill on the front I think JR Kyushu should have gone "al-out" and put a fake air scoop on the roof ... and jacked up the back ... perhaps even a hand brake so they can practice "sliding" in the carpart ... oops !!!

• Like 1
With the fake radiator grill on the front I think JR Kyushu should have gone "al-out" and put a fake air scoop on the roof ... and jacked up the back ... perhaps even a hand brake so they can practice "sliding" in the carpart ... oops !!!

Like this?

• Like 2

Well, it was on a test run. Apparently there was some problem with the brakes (something electrical) and the brakes applied full. It failed safe. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Does JR Kyushu has "any knowledge" of diesel locomotives nowadays? They don't use any for their trains right?

Toni,

Is there something I do not know of?

Ohhh now I finally know where the NS and ProRail guys went to! I knew they visited a JR company but had no idea which. While off-topic: at this very moment ProRail is getting rid of dozens of turnouts in Utrecht and other places, not to forget that Utrecht is becoming (actually already became) a very ugly station in the past year. Last December it still had a bit '70s aura remaining but now it's completely gone. :( At least there are no plans to ruin the station of my new hometown Maastricht.

Ohhh now I finally know where the NS and ProRail guys went to! I knew they visited a JR company but had no idea which. While off-topic: at this very moment ProRail is getting rid of dozens of turnouts in Utrecht and other places, not to forget that Utrecht is becoming (actually already became) a very ugly station in the past year. Last December it still had a bit '70s aura remaining but now it's completely gone. :( At least there are no plans to ruin the station of my new hometown Maastricht.

As an Utrechter, I say: good riddance. The change of the station is for the better, believe me. ;) I grew up with the old station, which was just a magnet for bums and junkies. The new station will harken a new era for the city. Cleaner, brighter, more inviting and more convenient. Yes, it will be a big construction site for the next decade, but it's all about getting (partially) rid of the mistake called "Hoog Catharijne".

Anyway, back on topic :D

If I remember correctly there is a certain designer that did a lot of design works for JR Kyushu, especially the joyful train stuff.

Toni,

You're right on that, that underpass was maybe the worst. They just built a whole new hall and it is as ugly as it can be; I hope this isn't the final stage of that hall but it looks fairly permanent. But oh well we'll see how it ends up. I have no idea how it is supposed to look in the future looking at the enormous destruction going on now.

I have a fondness for '70s-'80s NS stuff; looking at the '90s it started decreasing there. At least from a railfan perspective.

Edited by Densha

Yeah, Mitooka Eiji. JR Kyushu has several models that he influenced or designed, and now Fujikyu and Kitakinki have some too. Maybe they were just trying to do something a little different. This thing isn't amazing, but I don't think it's really that bad either. Pictures may not represent it completely accurately. I'll wait until I see more images, or better yet the cars themselves :grin.

I believe the designer of the Seven Stars in Kyushu train designed the interior of a number of tourist trains run by JR Kyushu, especially the ones running in central Kyushu.

I also read the cost of a four-day/three-night trip on this train: ¥1.13 million (or US$11,382 at the 14 September 2013 exchange rate) for a couple. At that price, you might as well take a seven-day cruise on a ship around the Japanese home islands in a higher-end room....

JR Kyushu designs are often good in concept but often are overdone in execution and in the details. It's also seen in designs of other railways, especially when trying to give a "retro" pseudo-Western vibe (i.e. "clerestory" roofs, brass details, etc.), but comes across as derivative and tacky. Designs that use modern elements as well as Japanese minimalist sensibilities tend to work out better, IMO.  I think the Seven Stars interiors were designed to appeal to the over 60's crowd, who have a taste for overdone interiors, like packing western rococo furniture like cabinets into their low-ceilinged Japanese homes and condos, as well as dark wood paneled walls, which make already small rooms seem smaller. 

• Like 1