Kato Series 885 Express "White Gull"

Mauka

Aloha, while looking at the Kato Production Schedule I saw this late September release for - Series 885 Express "White Gull". 

The description:

"Series 885 Express "White Gull" is equipped with "Pedulum" mechanism and runs on JR Kyushu Nagasaki Main Line with many curves, leaning on curves for smooth run. In 2000 it made the debut. It runs at the top speed of 130 kms/h and covers the distance between Hakata and Nagasaki in 1 hour and 47 minutes."

The links:

http://www.katomodels.com/distribution/schedule_e.shtml

http://www.katomodels.com/product/nmi/885kei_e.shtml

Because it's designed for "many curves" it could be a good prototype for a mountain layout.  The photo suggests the model also has a "tilting mechansim", it that right?

I think it's a nice looking train.

Alan

Edited by Mauka

Alan - the 885 series is one of my favorites. For a mountain layout it should work fine, the cars are shorter than most other sets but be careful not to have too tight of a radius in your layout.

Aloha JNS,

Thanks to Bernard and E6系 for your informative and insightful replies. You have afirmed my opinon of the 885 as a train of beauty, and have requested a pre-order from Loco1Hobby. Who I consider a great supplier.

Alan

Guest keio6000
Aloha, while looking at the Kato Production Schedule I saw this late September release for - Series 885 Express "White Gull". 

The description:

"Series 885 Express "White Gull" is equipped with "Pedulum" mechanism and runs on JR Kyushu Nagasaki Main Line with many curves, leaning on curves for smooth run. In 2000 it made the debut. It runs at the top speed of 130 kms/h and covers the distance between Hakata and Nagasaki in 1 hour and 47 minutes."

Because it's designed for "many curves" it could be a good prototype for a mountain layout.  The photo suggests the model also has a "tilting mechansim", it that right?

I think it's a nice looking train.

Alan

I wouldnt say that this is particularly a set for a mountain layout - in fact, i would suggest that it really isn't.  

however, the 885 is just beautiful and the "yellow" version as opposed to the "blue one" (yellow vs blue below the windscreen) in my view is particularly attractive.  it's a great kato model and you will be thrilled with it.