Two Power Units - Kato Narita Express N'ex

ozstig

My son has the Kato E259 Narita Express 10-847 & 10-848 but wishes to purchase the same again to make a 12 car consisit. Does anybody have experience with how this would run considering there would be 2 power units. 

He isn't running DCC or anything just the regualy Kato Controller that comes with the starter packs

Hello Mr ozstig,

Two power cars should not be a problem.  Tomix produces a second power car for many of its longer consists.  I'm sure it will be fine with Kato too.

However, I am not sure about coupling two E259 system consists together.  I do not own this model, but I believe the end car coupler might not be real active coupler.  This is something you should investigate further before making a purchase.  Perhaps other member can assist.

However, I am not sure about coupling two E259 system consists together.  I do not own this model, but I believe the end car coupler might not be real active coupler.  This is something you should investigate further before making a purchase.  Perhaps other member can assist.

Knowing KATO, all couplers should be active TN couplers. This website explains more about it: http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/ece259.htm It's a damn beautiful model though... Too bad it's not in my line of interest...

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

As long as the controller has enough power to run more than 1 train it should be just fine. There might be a slight difference in speed due to 1 set being older than the other, but that shouldn't be an issue. Kato's E5 and E6 for example can also be connected to each other, and both sets have a motor car.

Guest keio6000

Toni thanks for that Kato/Tomix NEX comparison page.. very helpful!  By my estimation, Kato gets the nod in most columns there as long as you're ok with the glossier finish.   I fully intend to get one of these someday, but I suspect that these will be widely available for a long, long time both new and in the aftermarket.

Took the real thing a few times now.  It's nice enough, but more or less forgettable.    However, one NEX experience has been consistent through the years - when travelling witha first time visitor to Japan, there's this kind of underwhelmed "so /this/ is Japan?" while viewing the somewhat working-class scenery en-route.    Of course, every city has more and less photogenic areas.

I guess it's a sign of age that these days I break down and buy NEX tickets rather than saving a few bob by hoofing it to Ueno and then the 1000 yen Keisei special :).  Can't say I'll ever understand those who take those coaches though.

For Narita, coaches are an option for quick and difficult to access areas with a bunch of luggage. Otherwise, the Keisei Main Line for those lovely curves and old, rattling standard gauge trains. Then again, I'm a hardcore fan :P

Martijn Meerts
just program both power units under one address, works fine

If he was using DCC, yes, which he isn't ;)

• Like 2
Guest keio6000
For Narita, coaches are an option for quick and difficult to access areas with a bunch of luggage. Otherwise, the Keisei Main Line for those lovely curves and old, rattling standard gauge trains. Then again, I'm a hardcore fan :P

Yes, true enough.   On my last trip from Japan, my carry-on, which fortunately the airline neglected to weigh, was 51 kilos :) plus my luggage of 22 kilos.    The reason for the weight?  Besides of course heavy books and bottles of hibiki which I bought at the airport, also i decided to spirit a particularly attractive rock from the azusa river as a souvenir after a few days of mountain climbing (and on the walk back I was considerably faster than my injured companions, so I had the flexibility to carry).  yes i know it is technically probably not allowed to take a rock, but there are literally at lest tens if not hundreds of millions of them there.

Anyway, the rock (probably around 20-25kg) dutifully made its way to matsumoto and then onto the super azusa and then to my hotel in shinjuku.   however, the walk from the hotel to the nex platform with full luggage was then considerably harder and of course when i checked in i had to do my hardest to not show on my face the actual strain from the rucksack :).  It now resides in my garden along with other rocks from mountains climbed (though this is the largest).

Hello Mr ozstig,

Please allow me to provide further advice on the Kato E259 system.

I have made further investigation of the end car coupler on your behalf.  I confirm that you can concatenate two consists to make the 12-car consist as you first suggested.

So sorry if my earlier comment gave you cause for concern.

Mudkip Orange

It's a legit question, since a lot of Kato consists do have the dummy couplers at one or both ends.

It's too bad you can't grab an international flight into Haneda, then you could ship first-timers up on the monorail.