test post for short tags

I included a tag for "1", which worked when I added it but is not appearing now that the thread is started.  So, tags that are 2 characters or longer appear to work.

So for things like steam locos best to put the name in a tag! Thanks Miyakoji Jeff

I think so.  The thing is, it's important to be consistent, that's why I was keeping that list.  Threads tagged D51 and  D 51 won't be connected to each other.  Also C61 and C61 20 and C6120 are all different tags.

But nonetheless these words should still be found regardless of whether it's in a tag, title, or post content.

But nonetheless these words should still be found regardless of whether it's in a tag, title, or post content.

Well, I'm not sure if the searchbox will search on tags.  As for the text in posts, there has to be some limit, if you searched on one or two letters, the pattern would be found in 85% of the posts on the board.  The results wouldn't be useful and the search itself would tie up system resources .  Presumably the software could be coded to search on short strings, but not dictionary words, but I don't think it actually is built that way.

I agree that 1-2 letters are not a word but three letters can certainly be words and other things like the D51 you mentioned for example.

Martijn Meerts

4 letter minimum on searches is the default setting for MySQL servers, it has nothing to do with the forum. I can set minimum word length to 1 in the forum but MySQL won't find anything since it's set to a minimum of 4. I can't change this as I don't seem to have root access to the server with the login that I have.

The tagging system isn't very flexible (it looks a bit like it was added as an after thought rather than as a real integrated feature), and the only options are a pre-defined list, or an open system like what we're using now. Personally, I don't have time to keep a list of pre-defined tags updated, and while it's possible to agree to a certain subset of tags to use in the pre-defined system, sooner or later people will want extra tags, which will likely result into a discussion about which tags should and shouldn't be added.

I can check if there's a better way of inputting tags (sort of like an auto-complete which checks the current tag list), but I'm not sure when. I need to update several updates and patches to the forum first, which will take a while considering I need to review the changes from 1 version to the next to see what I need to update in the theme files.