nice setting, love it. but why don't go for a fully double track layout instead? you could run 2 trains at the same time..

That's what I was thinking too, actually.

Double track would make switching impossible as there is no place to put the turnouts. That would make the yard unusable for the train on the inner loop. Adding a crossover on a straight would make two stations impossible in this footprint, not to mention make the horizontal size of the layout bigger as two loops need more space than the single oval the two side tracks (outside tracks) come off from. So a double track version would be slightly bigger and much more boring to operate. (this is why i don't really like racecourse layouts with unconnected independent loops and no yard access for most loops)

Personally, i would add feed points to both single track points (left and right mainline between the tips of the curved turnouts) and that would allow two controllers to be used at the same time, allowing two trains to move from one station to the other. A power selector switch would be needed for one if continous running is selected, so one feed from one of the controllers get switched to the other to avoid powering the same route with two. This way, with two train operation, the controllers could hand over the trains to each other, both in single direction follow and opposite direction avoid modes. In single train mode, both feed points would be controlled by the single controller allowing looping while two trains could stand at two station tracks. In single train shunting mode, the left feed point would be off, allowing shunting to the yard. If the turnouts are set to block power to the down station, then 3 other trains could wait at the station tracks during this. (and 1 and a half in the yard, making a total of 5.5 trains possible)

With capacitor discharge turnout drives and a rotary switch, it would be possible to have route selects for easy operation, like: two train step 1, two train step 2, single train inner, single train outer, single train in-out, single train out-in with a separte yard access rotary switch (4 routes) and that would take care of the power routing through four double pole morse relays (two train operation would switch the controllers around keeping the same controller for each train, while single train operation would cut one controller out).

First I was thinking that a double track layout would be decadent, but then I did some thinking... Please don't mind the crossing pieces! It's to cheat the bad geometry of the curved points and represent a C317-45 curve in total:

01k_4_car_simple_compact.png

It's actually quite feasible within the space used and can even do without the second pair of curved points:

01k_4_car_simple_compact2.png

The downside of this layout is that the lower station uses C245 radii, so that can be quite the visual impact. I'll try to recreate it tomorrow if I have the time and see if it has any implications. It's definitely an idea worth considering, especially when you think about most of the curves being hidden in tunnels.

Having slept over it for a night, I think I know why I didn't go for the double track layout from the start! It's the flexibility of the single-track style operation that allows instant transfer from any track to any position on the layout. This can provide the possibility for a semi-realistic time-table operation. With double track, a more running around needs to be done to get from one point to another. Granted, it will add more shunting problems to be solved, but I'm not much of a switching person. I like to see operations in a more realistic way, rather than tail-chasing for the sake of running multiple trains.

So, getting back to my final design, I just made a little mock-up of how it will look and added a little fun track on the inside for a small private company:

IMG_20161104_084901.jpg

I want to do this anyway to have an excuse to run smaller trains (2-car max) and have some more action. Most of these tracks will be hidden though and I'm kind of inclined to make it into a little loop as well. Maybe even connect it to the main line to have inter-operable trains, like on the Nankai network where 17m stock interacts with 21m stock.

• Like 3

Awesome with the little line in the middle. 1 car DMUs?

Could be 1 car DMU, but I have significant fleet of 16/17m EMU, both single cars and (married) pairs, so i think I'll settle for that. I have made a quick plan as on how it could work all together:

01j_4_car_simple_compact4.png

The connection track can provide exchange of rolling stock and even through services. Through services would only be Ltd. Express designated trains, like you can see on Nankai (Kōya line) and Tōbu (Rapid 6050 Serie) networks with limited stops on the main line and slower service on branch lines.

The stub tracks will be hidden as a yard and have automatic buffers that will stop the trains when they are hit (Tomix 1423), as to provide easy operations. Because I have quite a lot of mini points left, the hidden yard could even have three or more tracks for a greater variety of trains. Naturally though, the tracks need to be easily accessible, so I'm thinking of making the top over the yard completely detachable in one form or another.

Somehow, I think I can cram a moving bus system in there as well... It'd be awesome to see my quite large Kanachu bus fleet moving!

• Like 2

Toni, where do you plan to put the isolators for the stop buffers and how do you plan to feed them? (logical would be a taking power off from the frog side of the turnout before the isolators and feeding that to the buffer, but that needs a bit of hacking and soldering)

Toni, where do you plan to put the isolators for the stop buffers and how do you plan to feed them? (logical would be a taking power off from the frog side of the turnout before the isolators and feeding that to the buffer, but that needs a bit of hacking and soldering)

Tomix 1423 have a stop function which is explained here: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/report/n/nj_039.htm No need for any hacking, cutting and soldering.

Another solution would of course be to use diodes, of which I have a few lying around still, doing nothing... Might as well use those instead of spending money on an expensive buffer you won't see.

Edited by Kabutoni

Ok, but you have two tracks. You either power each one separately and select which one to power with a switch, or power the line and use the turnout to select which track gets power. That of course means you have to pick the power off the turnout, add the isolation there and feed it back into the buffer. Using a power selector switch is more simple, but more expensive and requires locking between the turnout and the power lever. At least it works for more than one turnout by cascading the power selectors along with the turnout levers. For three tracks, that's two turnouts, two turnout levers and two power selector levers connected to them, with 3 buffers and a bunch of cables and plugs.

ps: the simple diode variant would not work unless you have equal length motor units always on the same end or all wheel pickups on all sets or willing to almost double the length of your storage sidings in case one set arrives motor first and the other motor last

ps2: The nice way to do it without hacking would be to tap the power from the turnout with a piece of track, add isolators or an isolating section behind that and route the power to the buffer by connecting the two feeder cables back to back. This would automatically select which buffer to power with the turnout(s).

ps: the simple diode variant would not work unless you have equal length motor units always on the same end or all wheel pickups on all sets or willing to almost double the length of your storage sidings in case one set arrives motor first and the other motor last

That solution is the easiest and simplest, so I'll probably go for that. All trains have mostly the same length for the powered car at the same end, as I've standardised the whole short train fleet from the beginning in that regard. It just requires two isolating joint pieces and it's all done. No cables and extra switches required, except soldering two diodes between the isolated tracks and switch units for the points.

The same can be applied for the 4-car trains on the main line, as I've also standardised that material with the motor unit in one specific spot.

Not finished yet, but this is generally it. I'm adding yellow accents as well, as a kind of play on the Dutch Sprinter trains. My masking tape pasting skills need some room for improvement... :/

IMG_20161108_135306.jpg

• Like 4

But i would use light green rather than yellow.

You're very right. I shouldn't make such an abomination. More subtle colours would be better and more of a contrast with the surrounding companies (Odakyu = blue, Sotetsu = red (back then)).

I wanted to make a platform for my layout as a standard piece, so I roughly measured it all out, made a little base and placed the walls. It's a bit of a classic look with the brick/block pattern, but I think that'll work out with the setting in mind.

IMG_20161109_115312.jpg

IMG_20161109_115302.jpg

Not sure if I want to make the roof completely by myself or kitbash it... I'll wait with that until I decide to have either platform access by tunnel or overhead passage. Probably an overpass, as the underpass idea is a bit of an unfavourable idea, due to planned staging tracks in front of the station.

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 3

One of the reasons I like Sōtetsu as a railway company is that they aren't afraid to experiment and do it on a relatively large scale. This expression of experimentation can be seen in the designs of the rolling stock, stations and other entourage that make up Sōtetsu. Maybe one of the most remarkable details on the older rolling stock (until the 9000 Series) is the large-scale use of outboard mounted disc brakes. These very noticeable parts of the bogies stand out because they are always shining. As an artist, I also visit art shops to get materials from time to time and recently I found out that Mitsubishi has a nice lineup of oil-based pens with ink that adheres quite nicely to plastic. This ink is relatively thick and I haven't experimented yet with it for body details. However, it seems to work well for minor details like the bogies:

IMG_20161116_145121.jpg

This little detail makes the rather dull looking underbody stand out much more and adds that typical Sōtetsu vibe to the N7000. I'm very pleased with the result here! 

• Like 6

Looking good Toni san! Would it have a skirt soon? Don't know why, but I always like trains to have front skirts on them... looks pretty bare and naked without, but that might be just me...

Looking good Toni san! Would it have a skirt soon? Don't know why, but I always like trains to have front skirts on them... looks pretty bare and naked without, but that might be just me...

A skirt? Absolutely not! The N7000 or 7000 have never run with skirts and probably never will. I do however need TN couplers for the front with enough electrical connector plugs:

03790.jpg53614329_624.jpg

One of the reasons I like Sōtetsu as a railway company is that they aren't afraid to experiment and do it on a relatively large scale. This expression of experimentation can be seen in the designs of the rolling stock, stations and other entourage that make up Sōtetsu. Maybe one of the most remarkable details on the older rolling stock (until the 9000 Series) is the large-scale use of outboard mounted disc brakes. These very noticeable parts of the bogies stand out because they are always shining. As an artist, I also visit art shops to get materials from time to time and recently I found out that Mitsubishi has a nice lineup of oil-based pens with ink that adheres quite nicely to plastic. This ink is relatively thick and I haven't experimented yet with it for body details. However, it seems to work well for minor details like the bogies:

IMG_20161116_145121.jpg

This little detail makes the rather dull looking underbody stand out much more and adds that typical Sōtetsu vibe to the N7000. I'm very pleased with the result here! 

Where in Tokyo (for example) would one find these pens?  Tokyu Hands maybe?

Maihama,

check your local craft stores, there are a lot of paint markers out there on market for this sort of thing that you may find locally. i have a selection ive gotten over the years to do little bits with fast like this. one thing though is they do muck up after some use and dont last years and years due to the nature of them. they are especially good for metallics like gold and silver and also white like this.

jeff

Any well assorted arts/crafts shop should have pens like these. The regular colours are not as good as the metallic paints, as they seem to be quite transparent. I haven't tried it yet, but they could work better over a base coating. With a spray coat of protective laquer I think they should be fine.

There is also a gunpla range of thesr pens, which are a bit more suitable for these kind of jobs, though I haven't tried the colour range yet (only silver and black).

Keep it simple, keep it 'small':

IMG_20161118_130930.jpg

The rear and very tight curve will be hidden by a tunnel, while in front the curve will be open. The straight track will receive a bridge with a road or river underneath. The station will have a small rotary in front, hence the flat surface. Because the layout can't be higher than ±19cm, I'm forced to create a modular mountain or some other scenery.

A control panel (Cosmic CP-0505) will be fixed in front of the layout, so when the rails are all installed, it'll become a simple plug-and-play layout. because I have a lot of time, I'm also hoping to find a cheap matching point switch (CP-15T). If not, I'm just going to stick with the Tomix controls and add one or two more points for a possible future extension of the layout.

I'm not sure what to do with the centre of the layout, whether I add a narrow gauge loop, a moving bus system, or both...  Let's see about that later. I hope my wife doesn't kill me first though xD

P.s. for those interested, here is the track plan:

01o_4_car_simple_compact.png

Edited by Kabutoni
  • Like 4

A slight change in plans, as I decided to have two stations again anyway:

IMG_20161121_133832.jpg

The new and elevated station will receive one more point (the one I have is rotten and old). The two leftover stump tracks can be used for extensions later, or just be optical candy. The whole frame looks a bit shoddy, but it's actually pretty sturdy. I'm going for light weight and low costs, so this is probably all the wood/mdf that'll be used for now. From here on, it's all foam.

Plan:

01o_4_car_simple_compact2.png

P.s. one of the reasons for the transformation was the R177-30 curve that wouldn't allow my Romance car to pass. An R177-15 curve does allow it to pass, hence the change in plans.

• Like 2

I think you're right in adding some more operational possibilities. Just a loop with a passing track is really rather limited. It's not like there's no place for a bridge now either, you can just use one of the curved sections for that.

I still like the plan on the last page with the stabling tracks better, but with this layout you have more possibilities for future extension, which is also neat to have.