Bought a Hanshin Commuter Train Economy Kit today at Crosspoint Shimokitazawa (GM Store). There are a few more of these rare kits around, so hurry if you can! Maybe I'll get another one :P

post-188-0-69517700-1374481326_thumb.jpg

I'm going to use this kit as a base for two projects, but I need rare Keikyū 1000 type Economy Kit for that. Eventually I'll find one, but it's going to be a difficult job...

• Project 1 will be concerned with the Keisei 3200 or 3300 with a new front. The new front comes from the Keikyū kit and will be attached to the body of the Hanshin kit. The train will eventually look like this:

3264_2007.gif

Keisei 3200 (New Livery)

• Project 2 will be concerned with the Keisei 3100 with an old front, since these never got the new front anyway. The front comes from the Hanshin kit and the body is from the Keikyū kit. I'm really looking forward to this project, since it's one of my all time favourite Keisei trains (old front, new livery, hell yeah!). The train will eventually look like this:

3136_1994.gif

Keisei 3100 (New Livery)

The biggest issue will be  the underbody stuff, but that'll come in time.

----

Another issue I have is the second MicroAce A-6090 Keisei 3298 I bought.

3298_1989.gif

Keisei 3298 (Fire Orange) MicroAce A-6090

This train used to be unique to Keisei so there is no point of repainting or renumbering this train... An idea I have is to rebuilt it to the Keisei 3294 that had been tested for VVVF purposes, a 3150 type, or use the underbody of one of my MicroAce trains for the Keisei 3200 project.

• The Keisei 3294 type will involve cutting in the middle cars to move the pantographs to one car. The front cars will remain untouched, but the underbody of the two middle cars need to be changed. If I were to paint this train Fire Orange, the front would need to be changed to square headlight, so I don't want to do that. It's a pretty difficult one, since I wouldn't know what underbody stuff I should get. I presume this isn't the one I'd go for.

3294_2003.gif

Keisei 3294 (New Livery, standard front)

• The option to rebuild it to a 3150 is a bit silly, since Greenmax makes these as models already in several variations (Fire Orange, new livery, Hokusō and Chiba Express). They are however ridiculously expensive (min, ¥13.000 for a 4-car set). The rebuilt will involve two cars being rebuilt: pantograph moved to the front car and underbody for the middle and front car swapped. It's a pretty straightforward option, but I don't like the idea of cutting into the MicroAce body.

3162_2001.gif

Keisei 3150 (New Livery)

• The option to use only the underframe for the previously mentioned 3200 rebuild is the most tempting for me, since it doesn't involve cutting into the MicroAce shells. However, it leaves me with four unused MicroAce shells, which will probably not be used ever again. This reason makes the 3150 rebuilt option very tempting... 

3264_2007.gif

Keisei 3200 (New Livery)

---

I'm planning to use these trains in a setting of a fictive company (Sagamiko RR) in a slightly different livery than the original Keisei one, with some in original livery. The Sagamiko RR will be running along the Sagami-Yokohama water supply line all the way to Sagamiko station on the JR Chūō line. This is a pretty straight and narrow footpath with water pipes underneath, large enough for a single-track railway line: http://calmax.exblog.jp/16861118/ This railway line could be operated as a 3rd sector company under Keisei Group and Keikyū for the Yokohama Water Company (or something like that).

Here's a rough map of the route: post-188-0-10722900-1374484241_thumb.png

I'm not sure where it will connect with the Keikyū Main line, but I don't want it to pass through the centre of Yokohama, so maybe I'll let it run directly to Kanagawa-Shinmachi instead. Here the company can have a small depot, along with one or two en-route.

A large part of line will be single-track, like the JR East Sagami line, since it will be running through rural/light residential areas of Sagamihara-shi (the town community where I live). Through services can go as far as Kojima-Shinden (max. 4-car length trains) and the line can allow the occasional 8-car length trains to Sagamiko for special express services from the Takasago/Shinagawa direction (non-Sagamiko RR trains). These will only be able to halt at few intersecting stations because of space restrictions. The reason being that no investments have been made on the line due to conflicting interests from operating companies and the line's owner. Hence the collection of old rolling stock.

Since the line will be co-operated by Keisei and Keikyū, that allows for a mixture of rolling stock in company colours. Planned other trains will be 4-car Keikyū old 1000 type, 1500 type trains and possibly more old Keisei trains in new colours.

Now, I'm planning to have some of my trains painted in Keisei livery (as a tribute/revival livery), but also one or two in a fictive/parody livery that is sort of related to Keisei Group liveries. The official liveries are as follows:

- Keisei has Red with Dark Blue as a supporting colour;

- Hokusō has Dark Blue with Light Blue as a supporting colour;

- Chiba Express had Dark Blue with Red as a supporting colour;

- Shibayama RR has Red with Dark Green as a supporting colour;

- Chiba Newtown has Blue and Yellow as a supporting colour;

- Shin-Keisei basically Wine Red with variable supporting colours.

I'm not sure what colour combination I'd go for, but the body base will be light grey, like the New Livery from Keisei... Time to experiment!

Graphics courtesy by: http://www.mercury.sannet.ne.jp/bal-jaz/index.html

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 4
Nick_Burman

Fun! Have you thought of a history for your railway?

Cheers NB

I'm planning to use these trains in a setting of a fictive company (Sagamiko RR)

Or Tonitetsu. :D

But seriously, this sounds awesome! I'd personally never get the courage to repaint/rebuilt MA trains, but you can make them exactly how you want them to be like that though. Success with the kits!

I haven't thought of an exact history yet, but it must be shrouded by bickering parties that have some financial interest in the railway line. This must be a source for the line not being very developed, like the Sagami line (only electrified in 1991).

In the meantime of the bickering, Sagamihara-shi had overgrown the line and prevents easy expansion of the stations, platform lengths, and double tracking the line. This made the line highly unpopular and sees high competition from Sōtetsu and the JR Yokohama line.

Also, the area west of Sagamihara-shi Chūō-ku is not as highly developed (like in real life, mostly just schools and residences), so that area doesn't have much customers. Most customers in that area are students during weekdays and tourists in the weekends going to Sagami-ko. The line being in Kanagawa in a non-major area, the Tokyo Metropolitan Authority doesn't have much interest in it as well.

Due to the low profit the line puts out, plus low passenger numbers, the trains are old hand-me-downs from Keisei and Keikyū. This makes the line highly interesting for fans, since only there can old-type trains be found on the 1,435mm network of the Metropolitan area.

---

The original intention of the line would have been to bring tourists from the Yokohama/Kawasaki area to Sagami-ko and commuters from the Sagamihara area to the ports.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Another update on my ideas for the development of this company.

I found out that the Greenmax Tōkyū 3000/3700 Series Economy Kit base has the same window and door arrangement as many pre-3000 type Keisei and Shin-Keisei trains, so I'm also going to hunt for those. The windows are four instead of three between doors and doors are narrower. The body is also shorter, so that's going to be fun to find a fitting power unit... Nice 17m units aren't that common (no, I'm not going for those bulky Tomytec or Greenmax things!)

Most notable as a candidate will be the Keisei 2102 train. I think I'll leave this train untempered with and ride it around as an excuse that this is the oldest train in the company. The fun thing with the 2000s is that the front is almost the same as the first front on the 3000 types, so the leftovers from the Keikyu 1000 type Economy Kit can be well used for this project. I also could have chosen for the 2008, but I figured the cooling vents in the roof of the could prove to be a pain in the behind.

2102_1980.gif

Keisei 2102

2008_1980.gif

Keisei 2008 (note the vents in the rightmost car)

Anyway, if I find these Tōkyū 3000/3700 Economy kits, I'll let you guys know.

Yes, a third post, but I kind of want to keep you guys updated on this.

So, I discovered something awful today. I need to get a Keisei 3500 Kit to get my wishes done. Why you ask? Well, I want to make -sort-of- accurate models of Keisei trains and the parts I need to do so are scattered around other kits. Also, plans have drastically changed for kit combinations. To sum it up:

Hanshin Commuter train:

- BODY: 3300/3200 Type (will be used for 3200 body);

- FRONT: old 3100/3200(no rollsign) Type, or old 3300 Type (will be used for 3100 front).

Keikyū 1000 type:

- BODY: 3000~3150 Type (will be used for 3100 body);

- FRONT: 3100 Type (will be used for 2000/2100 front).

Keisei 3500 type

- BODY: 3500 Type (will be used as 3500 type);

- FRONT: new 3150/3200/3300 Type (will be used for 3200 front).

Tōkyū Old 3000 Series

- BODY: 2000/2100 Type (will be used as 2000/2100 body).

So, might ANY of you come across one of these kits for a reasonable price, please let me know!

Update on my rolling stock roster ATM:

post-188-0-89841900-1377057577_thumb.jpgpost-188-0-54604300-1377057584_thumb.jpg

All MicroAce models. From left to right:

- A-1876: Keisei 3200 Type in new colours;

- A-1870: Keisei 3200 Type in test colours;

- A-6090 (2x): Keisei 3200 Type, 90 Number in Fire Orange;

The A-1870 or the A-1876 is the odd one out, depending on your setting... The A-1876 fits the setting of around 1994 to 2007 and the A-1870 of the era between December 1991 to April 1992.

I really like the latter period of the winter/spring of 1992, since then the AE Skyliner and AE100 Skyliner were actually running together. The 3200 in new colours started running in 1994, when the old AE Skyliner was already put out of service. With a decision on this era, I can also put other test colours in my collection whenever they come out.

3208_1992.gif

Keisei 3208 (1992/1 ~ 1993/4)

3212_1991.gif

Keisei 3212 (1991/12 ~ 1993/1)

3220_1992.gif

Keisei 3220 (1992/1 ~ 1993/12)

That said, as much as I like the 3100 in new colours (below), this train is also scratched from the list of trains to build. The 3100 was repainted in 1994 as well, so it has no place along an AE Skyliner unfortunately. I might take this up IF I have enough materials for it, but for now, I have to settle with 3000~3300 Type trains in the Fire Orange livery.

3136_1994.gif

Now, regarding the relevance to my fictional company: the bodywork of one of the Keisei 3200 Type, 90 Number trains will be conserved, but the chassis will be used for a rebuilt to a fictional 3100-type train.

bikkuri bahn

On the prototype front, there are only 4 (four car) trainsets remaining of the 3300 series, which represent the last "classic"  Keisei rolling stock outline.  A visit to the Keisei Main Line last week yielded no 3300's on local services out of Ueno, though there were still plenty of the rheostat control 3500's of both original and rebuilt versions, despite the otherwise dominance of inverter types. I did see one 3300 series trainset in shed at Takasago.

On the prototype front, there are only 4 (four car) trainsets remaining of the 3300 series, which represent the last "classic"  Keisei rolling stock outline.  A visit to the Keisei Main Line last week yielded no 3300's on local services out of Ueno, though there were still plenty of the rheostat control 3500's of both original and rebuilt versions, despite the otherwise dominance of inverter types. I did see one 3300 series trainset in shed at Takasago.

I think they're used mostly on the Kanamachi line services and local services on the system beyond Funabashi. It could have been that they were operating on the Chiharadai and Chiba line, but also been put in maintenance. You never know what crazy things Keisei is doing... One day I spotted all trains I wanted to see at Takasago and on some days nothing 'interesting' (e.g. the 9000, a 3300, an unbuilt 3500, the 7260, etc.) comes by.

bikkuri bahn

Yes, you're likely right about that.  I didn't have enough time to go out past Funabashi as I also wanted to ride the Tobu Noda Line 8000 series, which are on the endangered list.  I should have gotten a clue by looking at the station train schedule boards- there are very few 4 car local services on the inner portion of the main line, basically a couple in the late morning and around the 16:00 period. Anyway, it was my first serious recce of the Keisei Main Line; I'll likely be back during winter holiday, though whether the 3300's will be around then is open to question.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Ah yes, around 16:00 are the most 4-car trains running. That's why I could snap a few when I was there.

So far, the only other 4-car trains Keisei (and one by Shibayama RR) operates are the 3500s, so I think there is a good chance the remaining 3300s will be around a little bit longer. That is, unless replacements for the 3500s, now in 4+4-car operation, are arriving that will make the 3300 types redundant... If so, I dearly hope it won't be more of those boring N3000s (if so, they desperately need a different front design).

As we're moving to a bigger living place next week, I have started to think about making a very small layout movable in our house. The layout can be a part of a bigger layout, but can also be used as a standalone layout with two separately powered loops.

post-188-0-85123400-1378710297_thumb.png

The theme will be the same as the railway company in this thread, but more as separate branch line. I'm thinking about making an elevated station in the middle of this small layout to attach to a bigger project as well (or just to display other trains).

Trains will not be longer than two 16 meter cars and will always have the powered cars facing forward to ensure smooth operations over the many points (eight in total). There is a shed, so I can also engage in a bit of switching.

When the building of this layout gets more permanent I might just cut some parts into blocks, but I think that will overcomplicate operations and create a headache when wiring.

post-188-0-14914100-1378710605_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Oh sweet! I measured the layout and found out if fits very well on a standard Tomix 600x900mm layout board. I guess I'll be using that then.

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 3

nice little track plan. just the reversing loop wiring headache.

handy that tomix makes those layout boards! its a very nice size, basically what the jrm layout module are (100x45). its just big enough to get a satisfying amount of track and scenery on but still easy to lift around store. 

cheers

jeff

Mudkip Orange

That is a sweet track plan. Point-to-point, point-to-loop, and two separate continuous run options all in 2' x 3'.

Do any of your railway collection cars have issues navigating those R140s?

I'm not too worried about the wiring, since I'll only be using two power inputs and won't be using the reversing loop sparsely. The reversing loop is there to be used when the layout is in an extended modus or when I want to turn trains to the other loop track and/or into the shed.

The trains are all 16m Tomytec units and have no issue with the C140 curves in their standard outfit. However, I've all rebuilt them to have Tomix TN couplers, so a lot of cutting in the TN couplers has been involved to make them take the C140 'S' curves without problems. They work pretty well now, but it was a lot of experimenting. Well worth the effort, because that huge ugly gap between the carriages has been seriously reduced.

As we're moving to a bigger living place next week, I have started to think about making a very small layout movable in our house. The layout can be a part of a bigger layout, but can also be used as a standalone layout with two separately powered loops.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-09-09 at 15.43.15.png

The theme will be the same as the railway company in this thread, but more as separate branch line. I'm thinking about making an elevated station in the middle of this small layout to attach to a bigger project as well (or just to display other trains).

Trains will not be longer than two 16 meter cars and will always have the powered cars facing forward to ensure smooth operations over the many points (eight in total). There is a shed, so I can also engage in a bit of switching.

When the building of this layout gets more permanent I might just cut some parts into blocks, but I think that will overcomplicate operations and create a headache when wiring.

attachicon.gif2013-09-09 15.36.43.jpg

EDIT: Oh sweet! I measured the layout and found out if fits very well on a standard Tomix 600x900mm layout board. I guess I'll be using that then.

what software did you use to design that?

Is there a windows version? Cant seem to find the Mini track in any of the windows programs... unless im looking at it wrong

Nope. Not that I know of.

A little update about the on-going thoughts on this strange company...

Here is the final network of the Sagamiko Electric Railway:

post-188-0-37413000-1381887211_thumb.jpg

The line from Harataima (JR Sagami line) to Sagamiko (JR Chūō line) has been altered, so that it doesn't cross the Tsukui Lake any more and passes along route 151, making the route slightly shorter and allowing for higher average speeds. Also, a new line has been added from Hie to Seya (Sōtetsu Main line). Here only 16m 2-car trains run. Double tracked and high frequency during rush hour.

Yes, a Limited Express service has been added, called 'Ponpoko'. This will have dedicated rolling stock with a custom design. The name is inspired by the movie with the same name from Studio Ghibli after seeing a genuine tanuki running around in my neighbourhood (confirming I live in Ponpoko land). I think it's a super cute name that fits the laid-back atmosphere of this company rather well. Of course 'Ponpoko' will have a small bar inside and have a happy tanuki mascot.

The Sagamiko railway only has handful of 16m 2-car trains for the Seya line. Some 18m 4-car commuter trains and two or three 8-car commuter trains in service, next to one or two 8-car Ponpoko sets. 8-car Express through services are usually ran by other companies, so the line sees a lot of variety of rolling stock.

---

For those interested: I haven't translated the data to English yet, but you'll get the drift.

本線

路線総延長: 50.8km

軌間: 1435mm

駅数: 25駅

単線区間: 相模湖 - 原当麻

複線区間: 原当麻 - 神奈川新町

電化区間: 全線電化(直流1500V)

閉塞方式: 自動閉塞式

車両基地所在駅: 日枝駅

保安装置: 1号型ATS

最高速度: 100km/h(相模原グリーン - つきみ野間)

車両長: 18m

車両編成: 8両編成

瀬谷線

路線総延長: 3.7km (+2.3km 日枝 - つきみ野間)

軌間: 1435mm

駅数: 6+1駅

複線区間: 全線

電化区間: 全線電化(直流1500V)

閉塞方式: 自動閉塞式

車両基地所在駅: 日枝駅

保安装置: 1号型ATS

最高速度: 50km/h (70km/h(日枝 - つきみ野間)

車両長: 16m

車両編成: 2両編成

Edited by Toni Babelony
  • Like 1

WOW! Tony! 

Is that a 'true' line or a fictitious line for your layout? Did you create the line diagram by yourself? 

It's great! Wonderful! 

I'm loving it!  :)

You gotta teach me how to do these man! 

Nice details! 

WOW! Tony! 

Is that a 'true' line or a fictitious line for your layout? Did you create the line diagram by yourself? 

Thanks.

It's all fictional and based on the Yokohama Waterway Road (横浜水道道緑道) route. A pretty straight line that allows for single and double tracks and has the Sagami Lake as a water source. A pretty good tourist destination, so a good excuse to run trains on this line. I wanted to have 1435mm trains and Keikyū through service, so I decided not to connect to the Sōtetsu network, but create a connection avoiding Yokohama and connecting to the Keikyū Main line in Kanagawa Shinmachi

The diagram is a simple one made in Photoshop. Nothing big. I'm a professional comic artist and graphic designer, so this was pretty easy for me :D

Here is a map of the final network by the way:

post-188-0-23878200-1381893695_thumb.png

EDIT: maybe interesting for people to see. A spreadsheet of some data on the Sagamiko Electric Railway. More data will be added and modified as time progresses.

Edited by Toni Babelony

Hello all,

I'm in a pinch about this project, since it might not be as well planned as I thought it would be. The idea I have now is well thought out, but just doesn't fit with how the situation would be in reality. It's really forced. Seeing Sotetsu trains running through roughly the similar area with fully packed 10-car trains in rush hour, I'm pretty positive my weird 4-car 1,435mm single track line will not do.

The choice I now have it to convert the line to 1,067mm track and have it run from Tsurugamine, connecting to the Sotetsu main line, instead of all the way to Kanagawashinmachi, connecting to the Keikyu main line. However, I don't want that and I have invested in the correct trains already, so really the only choice is now to abandon the project… It has been fun, but I need to focus on something more realistic with this. It's pretty much a case of OCD, but hey, it's my project, so the only one affected is me. 

Anyway, I don't want to abandon a freelance fictive Keisei related company though! The trains are here as is tons of inspiration. I have these options to continue with:

• Chiba Express
    Started in 1994 and abolished in 1998. Now, imagine the Chiba Express being slightly more successful and survived beyond 1998. The line (now the Keisei Chihara line (Chiba Chūō to Chiharadai)) has been extended to Amaariki on the Kominato line (about 7.6km, making the company's line 18.5km long in total). The line being rather short would mean an excuse for a limited range of trains.

However, this limitation is that trains would be 4 or 6-cars only with extended local through services over the Keisei Chiba line to Ueno (on the Keisei main line) and Matsudo (on the Shin-Keisei line). Only Keisei, dedicated Shin-Keisei and Chiba Express trains would be used. No Keikyu, Hokuso etc. would be in order here, as they are 8-cars long.

post-188-0-08589600-1386817985_thumb.png

• Shibayama Railway
    This rather young company started in 1988 has been fully integrated in the Keisei network since 2002, but only has a length of 2.2km (Higashi Narita to Shibayama Chiyoda). If I were to go with this option, the line would be extended to the popular Kujūkuri beach front at Hasanuma, intersecting with the JR Sōbu main line at Matuso, traveling along the Shibayama Naniwa road and passing through Shibayama Town. The line would be around 21.5km extra on the existing line (extending the line to 23.7km).

This line already has the space for 8-car trains and would be an excellent excuse for dedicated Ltd. Express train sets to the beach front. Trains would operate beyond Higashi Narita on the Keisei main line to Aoto and split to either Ueno or beyond on the Oshiage line (to the Toei Asakusa line and Keikyu network).

Another good point with this railway line is to be able to add an extra train service to the network in the form of a continuation of the long abandoned Kujūkuri Railway (from the beach to Tōgane station on the JR Tōgane line) along the beach.

post-188-0-79579500-1386817981_thumb.png

• Keisei Kanamachi line
    A simple and logical option is the idea to have the Keisei Kanamachi line extended via a tunneled and raised railway connection to the Shin-Keisei line at Matsudo. An extremely short line of around 3.8km would have to be built. This line would make it possible to have interconnecting Keisei and Shin-Keisei trains in Katsushika-ku.

The trouble with this is that it doesn't comply with my wish to have a rural setting. There is a massive amount of rolling stock available for this option, but no excuse to have a dedicated Ltd. Express service running, which I would like to have.

post-188-0-72004200-1386818213_thumb.png

---

All options are viable and realistic (as opposed to my SER idea), but I think the Shibayama one would probably be the nicest one. Although I really like the Chiba Express option, the Shibayama option provides for more freedom with rolling stock and a dedicated Ltd. Express train in custom livery (possibly a repainted Keisei AE100 type). Also, a company livery has been established, so I don't have to worry about that as well.

With this, I'll probably abandon the SER and focus on the Shibayama project. It's too bad, but there are numerous reasons to do so. Sacrifices for improvement and all...

If I were to pick up the SER project again (which I probably will at some point), the line would connect to the Sotetsu main line at Tsurugamine and the JR Chūō line at Sagamiko, providing a direct connection to Yokohama throughout the Sagamihara region sans the JR Yokohama line.

I would just go with a 1067mm line.  It allows interchange freight traffic with JNR, and the fact is, there are more private railway 1067mm lines in the Kanto area than standard gauge (among them the massive networks of Tobu and Seibu).  It also makes the idea of connecting railways/loop bridge lines (環状線)more plausible.

If you really want a 1435mm line, I would go with Keisei and a Chiba area location exclusively, rather than trying to coming up with a back story to justify some connection with the Kanagawa Pref. area.

The thing is, I don't want freight traffic. I'm not really interested in that. Maybe a maintenance train, but that's about it.

Also, I want 1,435mm, not 1,067mm, since I already have quite a number of trains for something like this, so I have to make compromises. The idea behind the SER was to have a company running in my own neighbourhood (since I find Odakyu too boring), so that's why I wrote that I might pick up this project later with an adjusted plan (which probably incorporates 1,067mm gauge and a Sotetsu connection).

Keisei is with this the best option, since it already has a complex company structure with dozens of subsidiaries, related companies and so on. It's a monster where a secondary or related transport company fits right in. Keikyu not so much, as it is already a part of the Fuyo Group (that also owns Tōbu by the way).

I think the Shibayama option is maybe the prettiest and fun of them all. The area the line runs through is rural and allows for much development. The end of the line is the popular, but hard to reach Kujūkuri beachfront that could use the line really well for the development of day tourism. There is no direct rail connection to the area as well.

I have a made a small collage of what the idea behind the Shibayama Railway is (and added a bit of artistic freedom to it as well of course).

post-188-0-38975500-1386850609_thumb.png